What do you think of Kochanski?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by SoC00L_L, Mar 17, 2012.

1. SoC00L_L

SoC00L_L Third Technician

I was personally really happy that Kochanski was a part of a team in series 7 & 8. I actually love series 8, because they are all together - the whole "team" & I've always wished that she & Dave would really date eachother again. But I've also heard a lot of negative comments on Kochanski's character. So.. what's your opinion, guys ? :-)

2. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I liked the character, both CP Grogan's version and Chloe Annett's.

I can understand why others dislike the latter version as she does come across rather whiny in places. Considering her situation, I found that very believable and understandable though, and it obviously doesn't bug me as much as others. I think these negative traits are blown up out of proportion in many people's minds.

I think a lot of the dislike is simply due to the fact that she replaced Rimmer. To be fair, she isn't a particularly funny character like all the others, but I think she works in bouncing the humour of the others off. And there is some good comedy in contrasting her level of competency to the other crew-members.

3. SurfboardingKillerBikiniVampireGirl

SurfboardingKillerBikiniVampireGirl Catering Officer

I found her annoying in 7, even though I can understand why she would be frustrated and unhappy in that situation. I found her far more likeable in 8 (she even had the odd funny line in that series). If she was given some better dialogue, I think I would like her more. It's nothing against Chloe - she does a good job with it - I just want her to have lines on par with what the other characters get. Sometimes it seems as though the writers are not quite sure what to do with her.

As for her sporadic appearances in earlier series (Clare's Kochanski), I found that persona more appealing, though there seemed to be less potential to develop that version.

4. hubbard

hubbard Deck Sergeant

Boring character -_-

5. JCjunkstar

JCjunkstar Second Technician

I met Chloe in the local cinema about 2 years ago, she was very nice, and chatty considering I was a little star struck. I think she's a good actress, I remember her being in Jeeves and Wooster too, I think she plays the 'just out of reach' from Lister part very well. Perhaps a little too ott with one or two lines if I'm being anal, but then Talkie Toaster was kinda like that too :-):lol:

6. DaveHOz

DaveHOz Third Technician

I like Chloe Annett a lot, and wish they had done a better job of developing her character. I think the main problem is that, as it stands, Kochanski is fundamentally unfunny. She's like Zeppo Marx (who ironically is actually mentioned in Epideme), or Kiyone in Tenchi Muyo -- Perfectly nice, but a bit too ordinary in a group of crazy eccentrics. I'd welcome Chloe's return, but only if they can develop Kochanski into a zany, or at least more interesting, Dwarfer in her own right.

7. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Chloe Annett was terrible. She is not a good actor. At all. In anything I have seen her in.

Having said that Kochanski should never be a regular character in RD. She is the unobtainable goal that Lister strives for. & should remain so.

8. Diet_coke

Diet_coke Science Officer

I disagree, I think Chloe is a good actresss. I think it was a hard time to bring her in though to replace the outgoing and highly popular Chris Barrie. I felt she had something to offer though, and I enjoy the lister/kochanski story.

9. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

I think you'll find Simulant is correct. 'Actress' is considered sexist.

As for the character, I think RD is all downhill from series 7, but that's not entirely the character's fault. The prison cell scenes between Rimmer and Lister in S8 are grea, but that's about it.

10. Alana_Ryan_Behan

Alana_Ryan_Behan Second Technician

why is actress sexist?

11. simulant37

No. She is a woman who acts. Therefore she is an actor. The term actress is unnecessary. The persons name is a clue as to their gender. Why does it need highlighting again by giving female thespians a different word to their male counterparts?

It is outdated, & the term actor is more commonly used for women now. Why use a different word to describe a female actor? A woman who works as a tv presenter is not called a presenteress is she! :roll:

12. Diet_coke

Wrong again simmy son. It's not sexist in the slightest.

13. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

:lol: That made me laugh so hard I went into a coughing fit!

14. simulant37

When did I actually say it was sexist? You failed to read my post properly, or give a valid response to my question; why use a different word to describe a female actor? Why have different words for men & women doing the same job? Is a female musician called a musicianess? I'd be interested to know what your thoughts are. . .

PS - you work in 'business' do you have any female managers? Do you call them manageresses?

15. Diet_coke

I call them ridiculous, give up the chance to stay home and play housewife and go to work? Crazy!

16. simulant37

Yawn, I understand you now. Far too juvenile to engage in a serious debate. . bit out of your depth I guess. . .:roll:

17. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Despite being addressed to you, I believe he was referring to my comment about the term being sexist.

18. bdsmelle

bdsmelle First Technician

I am an amature thespian and have been on stage for many years When describing people (of either sex ) who perform, actor seems appropriate. When specifically referring to female performers, actress is more appropriate.

Whoopi Goldberg said it best 'An actress can only play a woman. I'm an actor; I can play anything'

And..back to topic now. I like the Kochanski character as a one off... Once she became a regular part she became dull and lifeless... Although I believe Chloe played it well it seemed a badly written part... But it's opinion :-D:-D

19. simulant37

I wanna see you perform on stage! 8)

20. bdsmelle

bdsmelle First Technician

Thanks simulant37 xxx I'll remember that