What Aspect Ratio was this filmed in?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by richisawesome, Apr 13, 2009.

1. richisawesome

richisawesome Second Technician

Just wondering. It was shown in standard broadcast spec on Dave, but obviously the RED cameras can shoot at a wide number of ratios.

Was it filmed in 1.85:1 and then cropped down to 16:9 for broadcast? Or was it shot in 16:9 natively? I'm hoping the former, because Back to Earth in a proper cinema aspect ratio would look absolutely incredible on DVD, let alone Blu-Ray.

Also, I seriously hope that the DVD release is presented as one feature length rather than separate episodes, or at least have the option to choose between the two. It would really work well.

2. synner

synner Skutter

It was shot at Red 4KHD... a format designed to enable direct 50% downsizing to standard 16:9 HD rather than any other more complicated conversion factor from true 4K.

3. brianbrian321

brianbrian321 Third Technician

...er...so...

is the dvd gonna be widescreen or not?

4. synner

synner Skutter

Rant all you like... Most of the rest of what you say is correct, however almost all of this was shot at 3840 x 2160, so that when you resize the shots by 50% they are exactly 16:9 - 1920 x 1080. I know, because I worked on the post with the R3D files. Clear enough?

5. synner

synner Skutter

Yup... 16:9 widescreen not 1.85:1 though.

6. jimmys

jimmys Skutter

Mostly shot at 3840x2160 (4KHD mode). Some at 2K 16:9 and anamorphic as well.

7. avonsfive

avonsfive Skutter

Right, so there's a new mode on the RED One then? Goodo, presumably that's in build 17?
    Cool, that would be quite useful for fast stuff destined for Telly.

8. synner

synner Skutter

Yup, that's why it was chosen ;-)