Untranslatable???

Discussion in 'THE AIGBURTH ARMS' started by neilold, Apr 2, 2018.

1. neilold

neilold Science Officer

The seventies in Britain was a period of en masse sitcom transition to films. The one thing most of these had I'm common was that they usually had some sort of trip involved in them. Either abroad (Spain), camping or to some kinda venue.

These sitcom me were pretty much universally and usually instantly panned by the critics of the time for not translating well to cinema.

However , in recent years, the public has softened it's attitudes, And many are now highly regarded.

They're a strange mix all told. Some are original and unusual, and some borrow virtually scene for scene a and joke for joke from their series counterparts.

Which are your favourites and which didn't and still don't match their series, or maybe you think some surpass, them. The list of sitcom movies is staggering, and I can name a dozen easily off the top of my head, which seems an odd thing today.

Anyway your opinions please, the ones you love, the ones you hate, and why

2. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

Porridge, like its parent series, was exceptional.

3. neilold

neilold Science Officer

Porridge is a prime example of changing attitudes. When it first came out, a lot of people disliked it. They found it too disjointed. It's one of those from the period that is very different from the series. The characters are the same, but the premise, that of an escape was radically different, from the usual two in a room antics of the series. Also, very few jokes were used from the series in the film. It is one of my favourite translations, along with the steptoe, which were hated on release by many. One thing about the series, and movie, that annoys me is that McKay never has a scene with Harry grout. I'd have liked to have seen who come off top, and which won the battle of the attitudes

Paul Taylor likes this.
  4. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

The Likely Lads film is excellent.

sundayforsammy likes this.
  5. neilold

neilold Science Officer

Yes it is. As per, it's a going away job for em. I like when bob gets stuck on the roof. That's another that doesn't borrow much from the series in terms of lines used. It is also less nostalgic than the series, as a whole. Now rising damp and on the buses,now that's a different story, so far as lines pinched goes.

It's funny, in the likely lads movie, Terry is happy to have moved house and condemns nostalgia, where as in the series, he is proud of it and it's working class squalor, it's more bob getting misty eyed in the film, than Terry. It's still excellent mind. I always thought of the ending of it as a kind of score settling, with Bob being the one going away and terry seeing him off, rather than Terry joining the army and leaving bob

6. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Console Officer

Not a sitcom but a TV Comedy show at least, but for me probably one of my favourites would be Monty Python's Quest for the Holy Grail and Life of Brian, both radically different from the TV series which having tried to watch it was IMO pretty hit and miss.

Most 70s TV sitcoms don't really do much for me in general though. but having said that I fairly recently re-discovered Fawlty Towers which I didn't really like as a teen but thought it was great this time round so maybe I should give the likes of Porridge a second chance. Any recommendations that aren't horribly dated in terms of their humour?

7. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Console Officer

Dads Army old film
    love thy neighbour
    Rising Damp
    George and Mildred

All were a little different from the TV series but still not too far off to be off the scale

8. neilold

neilold Science Officer

The seventies were the greatest era for sitoms try

Steptoe and son
    Dad's army
    The good life
    Mind your language
    Whatever happened to the likely lads
    Fawlty towers
    Nearest and dearest

That's just for starters

9. Simonr1978

Thanks for the suggestions Neil.

Steptoe really doesn't do anything for me still, I just can't relate at all to the characters or their world and find them both irredeemably annoying.

I've watched all three fairly recently and quite enjoyed them, Fawlty Towers in particular more than I did when I was younger.

I'll give it a go since there are episodes on Youtube but at the moment I'd say I'm not sure it'll be for me.

Think I'll pass on these, having checked them out on IMDB and Wikipedia. Nearest and Dearest just doesn't sound like my sort of humour at all and Mind Your Language sounds like it's old fashioned national stereotypes which probably haven't dated at all well. If I've got a spare afternoon with nothing better to do, I still might give them a try though.

10. neilold

neilold Science Officer

As a proud former member of the steptoe and son apprreciation society I hope you get buggered by Satan's trident

11. neilold

neilold Science Officer

Also try

Are you bring served
    It ain't half hot mum
    Butterflies
    The liverbirds
    The goodies
    Please sir
    Oh no it's Selwyn froggitt

And last, but in no way shape or form ever least, citizen smith

12. Simonr1978

[pedant mode] Satan is traditionally depicted with a pitchfork, not a trident ;-) [/pedant mode]

Each to their own and all that. I know it's a well loved classic British sitcom, but I find it about as funny as a traffic accident.

13. neilold

neilold Science Officer

Yeah, well pitchfork ahoy then you git

14. Kittypaws

Kittypaws Flight Co-Ordinator

I don't think he could find a pitchfork at that point. :lol::eek:

Simonr1978 likes this.