to Doug Naylor

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by brautigan, Apr 13, 2009.

1. brautigan

brautigan Third Technician

WOW! It got heavy out there last night after part 3. In fact it's been heavy all weekend, talk about the great divide, love it or hate it!
    I would like to think that Mr Naylor is taking some time to read through some of the posts (I think on the series 8 DVD he mentions that he'd read some fan reactions to that series so fingers crossed) and if you are/he is then can I say thanks and well done..against all odds. I'm pretty sure he had an idea that this three-parter would cause some serious friction between fans and so-called fans of Red Dwarf. I for one enjoyed most of the three parts (naturally there were some moments that didn't work as there have been in most of the previous series as I'm sure Mr Naylor would be the first to admit) and although it was different to the Dwarf we knew and loved I defy anyone to tell me any two series of Red Dwarf that have been alike. Each new series has developed and gone in it's own direction, causing grief to some people and joy to others. But just who are these people who so vehemently refused to accept 'Back to Earth'?
    It strikes me that there are three main gripes:-
    1. The appearance of the show
    2. The plot
    3. The lack of jokes, or laugh out loud moments

In answer to these I will say the following:-
    1. So the CGI was not great. Firstly I don't entirely agree with this. Secondly, on the budgetary restraints Doug and the crew were working with I think they looked very good. People who try to compare it with the situation in 1988 by saying "I prefer the grey sets and the lo-tech appearance and the dodgy models" (I'm paraphrasing here obviously but you get my point I hope) are sadly misguided - I'm pretty damn sure had Grant/Naylor had access to CGI and a huge budget 21 years ago they would have made full use of it and series 1 and 2 would have looked far different. Anybody who watches the DVD documentries from these earlier series can see the patent frustration on the faces of cast and crew alike when talking about the set design and\or model shots etc. They did the best with materials that were available to them at the time. What did people expect for 'Back to Earth'? For Doug to go back to using carboard tubes and sticky tape and fairy liquid bottles...not a chance in Hades!

2. As for the plot, well OK it was hardly original and sometimes the pace was questionable BUT it had a beginning, middle and end...it had a journey, it had drama, emotion, RD style slapstick, sense of RD folly, you cannot fault the character development of Lister certainly (by the way well done Mr Charles)...to reiterate it cannot be 1988 forever, things have to develop and change or else they will surely die! It wasn't 'Back to Reality - revamped" as there were several refernces to the selfsame episode in part 3 last night.

3. As for the apparent lack of jokes, well they were there,just fewer of them and I feel the emphasis was placed firmly on the dramatic aspect of the storyline. There have been episodes in the past which were not just a 28-minute jokefest (in fact most of them come to think of it.) If it's pointless rapid fire gagcandy that you want then watch a sketch show or a US sitcom where the 'jokes' come every 17 seconds on the dot...15,16,17 BANG! (canned laughter).

Overall I thoroughly enjoyed 'Back to Earth' and am hoping and praying for more Dwarf, and if you a true fan of the show then you should support it all the way. I'm not saying you MUST enjoy it, if you didn't like it you didn't like it ...end of! But if you totally despised it then I think you were watching it for the wrong reasons and not willing to give it a chance. I think we all have favourite series of Dwarf or at least those series we liked more than others...I prefer series 4 to 5, series 1 to 2 and so on! So we move on and wait for the next one, it could be better or it could be worse (it'll be better:-D) but it will always be Red Dwarf. Thank you Doug Naylor, thank you Robert, Craig, Chris, Danny, Chloe and all those involved.
    Onwards and upwards!
    And Bravo once more Mr Doug Naylor for never giving up!

2. SammyL

SammyL Skutter

Excellent post, could not agree more.

3. sandybeach

sandybeach Skutter

i completly agree

4. richisawesome

richisawesome Second Technician

You know what I'm most impressed about with Doug Naylor?

The fact that when he found out Dave weren't going to provide the funds to buy a smart car for Carbug, he went out and bought a brand new one himself.

Now that is dedication.

5. roebeet

roebeet Second Technician

#1 and #3, I completely agree. RD was never about special effects, so who cares about them. It was always about the characters and their interaction with each other. And the feel of this special was similar to a Red Dwarf novel, which is a mix of comedy and drama (which was fine by me).

#2 I already commented on in my own post. I think the show needed a few more re-writes to clean up a few plot holes.

6. Oroboros

Oroboros Skutter

I agree, good post, Well done Doug on car bug.

7. plantejr

plantejr Third Technician

Great Post...I completely agree.

8. ironduke

ironduke Skutter

I liked it. It was nostalgic but I liked the ending as well. There could have been more jokes, that's true. I laughed most at the parody of "zooming in on a photo" to see the back of the business card. And the idea that we might not exist.

Off topically, if you want rapid fire jokes, the Simpsons takes some beating imho.

9. Guitar

Guitar Third Technician

Totally agree with the OP.

There were more subtle jokes in this too. Without the laughter track, some people may not have noticed all of them.

Take Cat when coming out through the TV, everyone else crashed into something or fell over. Cats always land on their feet.

If you havent seen Bladerunner then that might be an idea too, then go back and watch it.

Major thanks to all concerned in bringing it back.

10. Strata

Strata Skutter

I couldn't agree more. I have had instilled in me pure hatred for the vehicle ever since I first saw one of the cars branded 'smart'. They look like death traps that only people over the age of 80 purchase, due to the fact any collision with the Smart car would cause a quick and painless death, if a bit messy. Ever heard about second hand parts for smart cars??
    This could have easily been the way of the Dwarf -death by Smart Car. But no; Doug Naylor thought better of it.
    To actually BUY one of the wretched vehicles shows a dedication above all to Red Dwarf in my eyes. The Carbug is perhaps the only acceptable form of the car I will ever come across.

And, oh yeah, I loved the specials btw. I wouldn't change anything, seeing as it ticked all boxes for me. They were 21st anniversary specials; no wonder Doug Naylor made them so self-referential...but it was nostalgically awesome to me, with some good new original jokes.

11. jacksmith

jacksmith Catering Officer

The OP is talking the most sense here, my only gripe is that i didn't put it so well in other posts or atall. Well done mate!

12. RimmersLeftNostril

RimmersLeftNostril Third Technician

I would like to ask him where he got the idea for Red Dwarf from, he is a pure genius, and when ratings started to slump a little, he bought in Kryten! Genius!

13. matgrowcott

matgrowcott Skutter

Concerning #3:

The problem is, people see 8 series worth of jokes as one, when looking back. All the great bits, and there were many, mesh into one and there is no way that Mr Naylor could have wrote ANYTHING that lived up to that. Just because there are hours worth of jokes in the series and only a little more than an hours worth of space to fit story, catch-up and humour into the specials.

The same thing happened when the BBC revived Auf Wiedersehen Pet. 'Die-hard' fans HATED them because 'Omg, dey r not as funny as dey were'. What they didn't appreciate was that the 2 original series run for nearly 24 hours, and the two new series run for around 12. They also didn't appreciate that Auf Wiedersehen pet was, and always had been, a drama series with occasional jokes attached.

I guess what I'm saying is this: when the DVD comes out and people start to watch series, episode 1, right through to Back To Earth part 3, the specials will find there place amongst fans a little more.

14. MatthewL

MatthewL Skutter

:-D The first post says it all. My girlfriend and I have loved watching these 3 new awesome episodes. Only hope we don't have to wait such a long time to see a new series on our screens.

In fact, and despite having watched them through twice already, I'm looking forward to viewing the whole thing through again tonight. And again (in an uninterrupted form) on DVD.

Thank you to everyone involved in making the show, you've done yourselves - and us - proud.