Things You'd Like to Keep / Stay the Same for RDXI

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Presuming Ken, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Presuming Ken

Presuming Ken Deck Sergeant

Howard Goodall's amazing music. Using old stuff (series 1 and 2 = masterstroke) with new. Unsung hero of X.

Audience. Okay, they were way too eager to be pleased on X, but Red Dwarf needs an audience.

Loneliness in space. Monsters are good, but character interaction between the 4 leads makes X stand out amongst other modern Dwarf. The Beginning was good, so one action-packed-monster-twatting episode per season is just about right I think.

Ahh, might as well say it, I've watched X a couple of times on DVD now and it's bloody brilliant. And Dr Irene E is hot, hot hot.

Certainly in my top 4 of Red Dwarf series, jostling with series 4 for the third spot.

God, Red Dwarf is good :-D

2. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

Wow - nobody's replied to this yet?

Things I would keep the same...

1 - studio audience. They were great. Give me a ticket whilst you're at it too.

2 - the sets. They were also great and I do love the look of the new drive room, even if it's a bit small. Watching it in semi-3D (my TV converts, or tries to convert, anything I want to throw at it) really does help you see how good the sets are.

3 - 4 main characters only. I may be one of the only ones who doesn't want Holly to come back now, as I feel he/she has had their day. I don't think Holly would be as included as before (see series VIII) or is as necessary.

4 - models. New Red Dwarf is pretty bloody good. Try and improve a few camera pans though to REALLY help us see the immensity of the ship.

5 - definitely liked Rimmer changing from hard light to soft light in one episode. Could we have an episode where, as someone else suggested a bit ago, he's soft light (hard light broken) and has to have everything done for him?

6 - as stated by the topic creator, Howard Goodall's music. Using a lot of the old music (in particular the imposing Red Dwarf s1+2 opening bit) really did make it feel like Red Dwarf again, and even some of the guitar tracks from s3. The new tracks were good too (especially the fanfare when they pretended to crew the Trojan).

3. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

I liked the new cat music, where he was trying to catch a space weevil and also with the map on Trojan.

Hopefully now they've built new sets, they have more in the budget to spend on other stuff in a new series.

And I really do think they should go and retrieve Lister's Lester ASAP! (Lester is the name of the guy who invented his guitar - the Les Paul, so is sometimes used as a nickname for that particular guitar)

4. lidders2k

lidders2k Second Technician

Lister's guitar has been through some personality changes over the years though hasn't it? It started as a silver ovation style acoustic and changed to an "authentic les paul copy" then got smashed ("not even Mr Lister's guitar survived in tact") but returned at the end of series 7. After that it was a different acoustic in 8 (i think), and then some union jack strat affair later (although I could have dreamed that one up). In X he managed to get hold of a "Gibson Les Paul" from somewhere so if they can find alternatives my next suggestion would be something entirely different again.......

5. karnie

karnie Supply Officer

I think Hoagie definitely needs to make another appearance.... maybe not as a regular, but at least return in one episode.

6. RECTUMfacedPYGMY

RECTUMfacedPYGMY Supply Officer

Keep the models, the new Red Dwarf model looks amazing.

7. dodgebizkit

dodgebizkit Deck Sergeant

yw :-D

lol seems like listers dad (not himself but presumably adopted dad- who looks like a dawwwwwwg :-p) gave him lots if guitars :-p or he finds them on derelicts or stole from other bunk rooms or the nanos resurrected it or aliens gave him a gift to thank him for the big roll, better than breaking their legs (hello to you too!)

id like it to keep everything but add more with the new budget, more sets more of the ship etc like bte where the ship felt enormous but empty.

8. PCz911

PCz911 Third Technician

Yea, he's changed guitars as often as he's changed his leather jacket. It was a silver ovation in series one. In BTE it was an inexpensive brand only sold in the UK (can't recall what). And in between it was a les paul copy. Maybe he's going thru the crew quarters and finding new guitars. Trying to do a link below to the promo shot from Red Dwarf X. They stripped all the 'badging' off the guitar. Looks like a Gibson, but it's hard for me to tell. We need a guitar anorak

http://reddwarf.wikia.com/wiki/Dave_Lister

9. Strat-tastic

In RDX we don't see an actual guitar. It is mentioned as being a Gibson Les Paul, but is blown* out of an airlock by Dave senior to punish Dave junior and show him some tough love (yyyeeaahhh! taff lav!). All he has in its place is a cardboard cutout. I do hope he finds another in time for series XI, or goes to retrieve the Gibbo!

* it is a common misconception that things are sucked out of airlocks. They are actually blown out by the wind. Ask Mr. Data, he knows these things ;-)

10. Kittypaws

Kittypaws Flight Co-Ordinator

Talking of Lister's guitar, one thing that got me was that he obviously can't play it (in his dreams he can), yet when there were two versions of him, the other one played a bit like Stevie Vai, etc. I can only assume that the fake version of Lister was what our Lister thought he was. Not Stevie Vai, obviously, but generally.

Anyway, getting back on subject, I did notice the difference in the guitars.

11. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

The only consistently good thing about RD X was the excellent production design. Hope this remains. . .8)

12. Strat-tastic

That's correct and how they knew which version of Lister to kill.

13. lidders2k

Not sure if I qualify as an anorak but I reckon it isn't a gibson in the RDX promo shot. Gibson do make les pauls with dots on the fretboard and black finishes like that one but if you do a search on gibson les pauls you can see that the horn of the cutaway on the body looks more rounded than the one Lister has.

Although the pic could be heavily doctored to create the difference.

In reference to the union jack Strat: as far as I can remember they were made by the Indie Guitar Co. a few years ago.

14. lidders2k

And yes Strat you are correct......Lister should get hold of his LP for RDXI

15. DaveHOz

DaveHOz Third Technician

Agreed. Please, please, please bring her back as a hologram!!

16. Diet_coke

Diet_coke Science Officer

I'd like to keep the talking vending machines. And especially the medi computer. That was some cool effects

17. Strat-tastic

I'd like to see Trojan repaired and flightworthy, ready for an adventure...

18. yeckel

yeckel Console Officer

Norman.... (maybe if I keep nagging?)

Just one little episode? Part of an episode?

Oh, and I want to be on set for a day. I want to sit in one the chairs and gleefully push a few buttons.

And.....I want everybody on this site to get a chance to obtain studio audience tickets before the general public.

Other than that just keep going as it is. Really enjoy the series.