The official Doctor Who thread - SPOILERS

Discussion in 'THE AIGBURTH ARMS' started by jmc2000, Jul 2, 2017.

1. Cloud

Cloud Flight Co-Ordinator

Are you the same Ken that is Ken from street fighter?

Presuming Ken likes this.
  2. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

No, he's David Kennant, the Kenth doctor.

3. Cloud

I am not sure about this

4. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Me neither to be honest.

5. Sammer4Rimmer

Sammer4Rimmer Supply Officer

The first figure I’ll look at will be Doctor Who the Fourth from ‘The Talons of Weng-Chiang’. This figure is I’m sorry to say, terrible. Now obviously, all the reused parts are well sculpted and the figure is, for the most part, well painted. But the costume seen on this figure is really rather different to that seen in Talons. This comes as a result of the figure being, safe for the head, a complete repaint of the ‘Carnival of Monsters’ Third Doctor figure seen in the 11 Doctors Set. As a result, there are a great number of inaccuracies…

First of all, the cut of the jacket isn’t right. The Talons jacket is much more like the Fourth Doctor’s own purple frock coat (as seen on last year’s B&M Fourth Doctor), but much shorter. It should also be open rather than closed. The colour is very nice, but it is missing the pattern seen on the screen used jacket.

The second point of contention is the waistcoat. This is the first new piece of sculpting to be seen in a B&M set, but it is extremely basic. Only one button is sculpted on when really, a second should be visible. The colour is also wrong – it’s grey as opposed to purple with a floral pattern. The sculpt also features a tie, but this is hard to make out under the very sloppy paint application. It’s painted red which is good but it should be a tad darker. It also doesn’t sit flush with the collar, which is another problem. The Third Doctor figure sports a regular shirt collar, whereas it should be a wing-tipped collar.

The cape is also inaccurate, but this is the aspect of the figure I’m most happy with. The issues here are the lack of lining and the fact that the cape seen in the episode had a single wing spanning the back of it. The paint application has in a way, helped to try and convey this. The application of the lines on the cape is a bit sloppy in places, but I’m just glad they went to the effort of applying it. I did once make my own version of this cape for a custom figure and I think there may be a few lines missing, but given how dark Talons is throughout you can hardly tell.

All the problems stated above have come as the result of re-using sculpts. The figure is inaccurate, and it bugs me, but I can understand why. What I cannot understand, however, is the decision to use the Third Doctor legs with the boots and paint them to look like shoes, rather than using the Third Doctor legs which actually have shoes. It looks absolutely ridiculous. I could understand if they perhaps needed to use this mould for some sort of cost reason, but the legs with the shoes have been used on the Third Doctor in this very same wave. Why couldn’t this figure have them instead? The Third Doctor could’ve then had the boots and, complete with a darker red jacket and painted cravat, we could’ve had a rather nice Mutants variant.

The final thing to talk about on this figure is the head. This isn’t as well painted as some older releases, but the skin tone is great. Obviously, the major point of contention here would be the lack of his hat. But there are moments in Talons when he is seen without it so it doesn’t bother me. Interestingly, they’ve been able to put a peg inside the Third Doctor torso piece. This suggests that they may be able to attempt other interesting kit-bashes in the future.

Articulation is the same as on previous Third Doctor figures. The Doctor does not come with any accessories.

6. Cloud

I like Inspector Spacetime better.

7. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Console Officer

I agree with your scoring, although I do think you have been a little too generous. Take The Tsunga Conundrum: really? 0/10 for instance, it wasn't even a zero. I can't wait for the Xmas special, "Not".

8. Sammer4Rimmer

I like these a lot, they're light enough to wear on a hot summer night, and look really neat. I usually struggle to find nightwear that fits without throttling me, but these are very comfortable. Is there any chance you can do some with daleks on?

9. Presuming Ken

Presuming Ken Deck Sergeant

To be honest if it is Daleks I'll tune in.

Just to see how they ruin them!

Ant E and sundayforsammy like this.
  10. Sammer4Rimmer

Not all staff have the knowledge to help you most look fed up- Andy was an expert in both carpet and laminate flooring and helped us enormously- fittings were booked and paid for - carpet fitter no problem
    Laminate floor waited 3 weeks fitter didn’t turn up no one told us 3 calls to the store on the fitting day we were told us they were still coming - they didn’t arrive another call when I asked someone to ring the fitter to find out where he was. Told not coming - appalled surely the fitter knew he wasn’t gonna make it and could have had the courtesy to ring us or the store to let us know - No I had to ring and chase again at 4 pm. - we’d move all furniture out of the room making us very uncomfortable-
    Told they’re coming tomorrow No time given we are just expected to hang about in discomfort yet again
    Will it be an all day wait again. Poor show Carpet Barn I could have got someone from Checkatrade to fit it.... you took my money and didn’t deliver the goods / stick to the contract
    My advise to would be buyers organise yr own fitter from Checkatrade if you buy Laminate flooring

11. sundayforsammy

Off topic smeg in every thread from you, and stupid large txt :shake::shake::shake::shake::shake::shake::shake::shake::shake::shake::shake::shake::shake::shake::shake::shake::shake::shake::shake::shake::shake::shake::shake::shake::shake::shake::shake::shake::shake::shake::shake::shake::shake::shake::shake::shake::shake::shake::shake::shake::shake::shake::shake::shake:

12. Presuming Ken

Just put it on ignore like I have. You'll still see it's posted but won't have to scroll down through 5 pages of it's errant nonsense every time to get to the next poster.

Apologies to anyone who will defend it but there are fun and games on here which are great, but that tool should banned.

sundayforsammy likes this.
  13. Sammer4Rimmer

Shut your piehole. You should be banned.

14. Presuming Ken

See, SfS, it has posted but all I see is 'you are ignoring content by this member'.

It's brilliant. No scrolling through page after page of drivel. Love it :-)

15. Sammer4Rimmer

You make page after page of drivel. Hate it.

16. Presuming Ken

Oo another 'you are ignoring content by this member. '

Yay. I've spared my finger having to scroll past the life of onions or how his mum had a spare pair of knickers in her glove box for emergencies.

Bloody bliss this is :-)

17. Sammer4Rimmer

I spared my finger from going in your mum's knickers that smell like onions.

18. sundayforsammy

Ok that last New years special of Doctor Who was utter shash, What a load of pure Doctor Poo. I expected the Daleks to be the episode as it is contractual to have the Daleks in at least 1 episode of any series but they really should at least put more than £5 into the effects department to build a Dalek. Load of bollocks for story and effects.

Ohh, I know it's a kids program, but please stop the people with brains under the age as five writing the scripts.

19. Eddiebadassdavis

Eddiebadassdavis Supply Officer

To vote who liked series 11. Huh?
    That was the worst season

20. Eddiebadassdavis

Eddiebadassdavis Supply Officer

The only season i prefer would be season 1 and 3

Classic who is good too but Colin Bakers time was bad like the writing was just off the edge
    Which is the same with Chibnalls era