The Making of Back to Earth

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Andrew, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

Post your feedback and opinions on the Making Of documentary here.

2. hubbard

hubbard Deck Sergeant

Im guessing lots of greenscreen acting for part 1, much like the new trilogy Star Wars extra's hehe

3. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

As someone who has watched all the individual series documentaries on the DVDs multiple times (what can I say, I have an insatiable desire for useless trivia knowledge), I can safely say that I was not disappointed by this one. Covering plenty of aspects of the show and with lots of interviews with the cast and crew it provided some good laughs and was generally interesting viewing, which I will one day subconsciously committ to memory and recall just to annoy people.

It was great to see that everyone seemed to really enjoy doing things, even the seemingly daunting scene with the sugarglass - which naturally Craig was especially keen on. A man who was thrown through a window (in Backwards) and "electrocuted" repeatedly (the scene in Queeg, not sure how else to describe it) and was still in a good mood after, you can't fault him on his attitude for stuff like that, and this was no different in his enthusiasm it seems, even if there was only one chance.

And Andrew, you got your mug on the telly!

In all, an enjoyable and in my opinion well made documentary. I look forward to watching it again on the DVD release.

4. equinoxe_uk

equinoxe_uk Third Technician

Very natural voiceover work there Andrew - A sideline career to consider?

I thought the doc was excellent and told us the main bits of what we wanted to know. I for one would welcome an extended cut of the doc on the DVD :-D

5. SophieMadeOfStars

SophieMadeOfStars Skutter

I wished it was longer! Hopefully there will be more of this sort of thing on the DVD. LOVED it though :-)

6. Keir_FTGL_Shiels

Keir_FTGL_Shiels Catering Officer

I missed it because of friends coming around! I will have to wait for the DVD :-(

7. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

Or watch one of tomorrow's two repeats... :-)

8. drumjay

drumjay Catering Officer Fan Club Team

Quality should be praised and Andrew, your work over the years on the DVD's has given you great insight to how it should finally work and look. Narration and direction! Very good indeed. Your voice did seem different, well to me, not in a bad way! Great! I love the docco's, the personal views of cast and crew give the whole story. A quality package that would easily fit into a blockbuster release! Excellent! Can't wait for the DVD!

9. SFRimmer12

SFRimmer12 Third Technician

An interesting, informative episode. Plus, that bit where Robert Llwellyn accidently kicked the light and it went out, was unintenionally hillarious.

You've got a good voice on you, Andrew. And thanks for your contributions to the DVDs, too.

10. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

It was a great documentary.

I'd have liked to have seen Chloe appear but maybe she was only able to set aside limited time. That's understandable, it was lovely to see her anyway. Some mention would have been nice, at least, but then again, there are always those who might see the documentary before episode 3, so maybe it's nice to leave her as a kind of Easter egg. Mmmm.

11. CJ_MAK

CJ_MAK Deck Sergeant

It was great and informative, In typical Red Dwarf style(making the most most of it) it's amazing the visual effects that were achieved on such a small budget...8)
    Great voiceover Andrew maybe you should think about doing commercials...:lol:

12. mrtrebus

mrtrebus Second Technician

Was it just Doug, looked suitably dejected & pitiful sat on the floor of a bare cell looking into camera saying "I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry,I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry"
    If not. . .WHY NOT!

13. banksrob

banksrob Third Technician

About to watch it after the next 2 eps on dave : P

14. jamesjj

jamesjj Skutter

It was really good... just a pitty you guys went to fxphd on the other side of the world rather than Escape Studios just down the road :-) may have got some better CG then .. some bits were a little cringing but apart from that MORE MORE MORE ... another series!!! :-)

15. hubbard

hubbard Deck Sergeant

Hehehe probably the best bit of the three part series ;-) I thought it might be as all the featurettes and commentaries have been really good over the yrs on the RD DVD's. Good insight into how its made, always things popping up that surprise you in how they are done...
    Carbug was cool, the fact the extra bodywork is made from plant pots mainly hehe and the little story of locking the keys inside, that must have been a real pain in the ass lol

The sugar glass scene was very interesting, one take only, never thought that was the case, talk about risky, and the pain staking task of having to assemble them in place without them breaking :x never knew sugar glass was so delicate.

All the cgi stuff I have seen many times before on other DVD extras so that was no biggie but there was the odd little scene or moment from the cast that you wouldn't normally see if it weren't for the making of :-)

Always a good watch.

16. sarahsmeg

sarahsmeg Skutter

The making of was great as usual with Andrew's work. I really enjoyed it and laughed that the filming got delayed because someone locked the keys to carbug in the car (What about the second set you are always given when you buy a Car?)
    And I have to agree with the women on set Danny has a very tight Ass in that pink Abba style jump suit.

So Andrew I guess your ego has been stroked by the fans in this Thread, Hope you happy :lol:

17. SimplePlan2k8

SimplePlan2k8 Third Technician

Very good little ending to BTE there, nice to see what goes into making RD. Hoping this will be extended for the DVD or we get another documentary!

18. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

If Escape can do the 250+ shots that the Magnificent Mike managed with the swiftness, expertise, quality and super-low cost that he achieved (seriously, one guy got paid with a signed copy of the script!), they should email webboard@reddwarf.co.uk.

Also, the visuals rocked. Those corridors were bloody marvellous.

They can stroke whatever they like, I'm easy. :-)

19. equinoxe_uk

equinoxe_uk Third Technician

I can do compositing, motion tracking and all the like and I wouldn't have dared attempt that many shots in the short space of time those guys did!

20. 2x4b523q

2x4b523q Second Technician

Starbug is the precise reason why Series IX should be produced followed by Series X to lead onto Series XI. All that money cant just go to waste.:idea: