"The Dave Era"

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Jape of The Decade, Jul 3, 2020.

1. Jape of The Decade

Jape of The Decade First Technician

We've had threads about favourite episodes, most of which come from the earlier series so I'm curious as to people's most liked episodes since the shows revival. For me..

M-Corp
    Twentica
    Give & Take
    Lemons
    and "The Promised Land".

These were the only ones that came close to hitting the mark. The others really aren't worth remembering....

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
  2. BruceFivesyth

BruceFivesyth First Technician

Twentica (great production values) and M-Corp (an interesting plot) would be the two that I'd pick out.

I did quite enjoy The Promised Land as well, and it was a very smart move to have Norman involved.

3. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

Skipper was hit and miss for me. Like Backwards, there were too many things that didn't make sense.

Rimmer as Holly? Rimmer as his old hologram self - but able to touch a computer? The Rat? Ugh...

Asclepius likes this.
  4. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

I saw this recorded and they cut out a very funny scene - and couldn't even be bothered to include it in the deleted scenes or smeg ups on the DVD!!!

5. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Twentica is definitely my favourite episode of the Dave era. It was the first (and probably the only) episode that to me actually felt like Red Dwarf. It's difficult to explain, but almost every other episode since the end of season VI didn't have that Dwarfy feeling of the first six seasons. I feel somewhat distant, detached from it all as if I'm watching some over TV show. But Twentica really has that Dwarfy feeling. Apart from that it's got a good plot, looks great and all the other important elements are there.

Fathers and Suns was another good one and so was Krysis, and The Promised Land, which I initially wasn't too sure about, improved quite a bit with a second viewing.

I'll also give mentions to Mechocracy, Officer Rimmer, M-Corp and (Yes, I know I'm in a minority here) Dear Dave.

6. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Oh, really? What was that?

7. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

Kryten playing the saxophone.

There's a Smeg Up (that they COULDN'T BE BOTHERED TO INCLUDE ON THE DVD) where the music starts before he plays.

There was also a deliberately crappy, old movie style, green screen shot of them driving in the car (that they COULDN'T BE BOTHERED TO INCLUDE ON THE DVD)

sundayforsammy and Bluey like this.
  8. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

Thanks for the "like", I guess (@Bluey)

9. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Are you drunk or bored? It's usually one or the other when you go on a posting spree like this.

10. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

Just on the coffee mod @Bluey. But thanks for the interest (i.e. sticking your nose in. AGAIN)

11. Jape of The Decade

Completely agree. Twentica was the first and probably the only episode that felt like a real return to form for the show. I remember watching it for the first time and thinking "this is more like it!"

I do enjoy M-Corp as the concept was great and it felt like something new and different.

As for the rest I'm with you on the fact that it feels like we are watching a different show. Some of the other episodes were so awful...

And I did enjoy The Promised Land too...

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
    Ant E likes this.
  12. Jape of The Decade

Skipper never really felt like a proper episode to me. More like a 30th anniversary fan service sketch show hence I try not to think about it too much...

Asclepius likes this.
  13. Asclepius

Asclepius Console Officer

To be honest, I don't really like Twentica. It was the first episode I saw broadcast "live" and I rememeber watching it and feeling like "Is this everything?"
    Whole episode just seemed very quick, just action and story twists. There was no time for some proper Dwarfy conversation between the gang. The jokes were just crammed inbetween the action story and sometimes felt out of place.
    Story wise, the idea was quite clever, but I hoped the whole concept of Kryten and Rimmer being illegal would be explored more. The whole potato bussines with EMP just felt very rushed.

Agree. I like Skipper, but it's more like a tribute to the show than anything else.

Probably my choice from the Dave era would be Mechocracy, M-Corp, Fathers and Suns and Give and Take, although I like a lot of other episodes too, but these are just the best.

14. Asclepius

Asclepius Console Officer

The Promised Land would make the list too, but for me it just isn't a normal episode. It's something different than the rest of RD, but still good.

15. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Supply Officer

I know the Dave era is not totally like the show's heyday of late 1988 to 1993 (I rated all the series 2-6 episodes apart from Terrorform 10/10 during my spring Dwarfathon), but IMHO Fathers and Suns, Lemons, Twentica, Krysis, Cured, Siliconia and Skipper are all very much classic Dwarf and 9/10 each. M-Corp is pretty much vintage RD and I awarded it a month and half ago 8.75/10. In fact I would definitely rate Give and Take a full 10/10 as it feels like a lost series 6 script/show and so the finest episode of the Doug (nearly all) solo years occurred in this revived era.

But generally all of the Dave era while not completely scaling the heights of the Rob co-writes is all usually very strong (8.5/10) and the only ones that fail to get at least an 8 are Dear Dave and Can of Worms (still a creditable 7.5/10 each) - I have to admit despite its faults I still laugh quite a lot at Timewave and gave it an 8.

So overall, while series 2-6 will always be the best, this is a very successful revival IMHO with quite high ratings for a non-mainstream channel to back this view up. Thank you Doug, the cast and all the RD team :-) for these "bonus" years when it looked like RD was finished at the end of the 20th century with an infamous, perplexing and annoying cliffhanger.

16. Eddiebadassdavis

Eddiebadassdavis Supply Officer

Lemons is a massive ribticker and I still watch when in the mood