Teaser Trailer?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by simulant37, Jun 16, 2012.

1. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I'll tell you what Kryten's funny-nosed mask reminds me of: a Halloween witch mask.

2. RECTUMfacedPYGMY

RECTUMfacedPYGMY Supply Officer

My only main problem is that there is not one line from the smeg head.:-(

3. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Yes, that was a disappointment. You can get a good idea about how the actors are going to play their characters by seeing them speak lines from the script, but Rimmer hammering a lemon and reacting to the other's lines doesn't tell us much.

4. RECTUMfacedPYGMY

Yeah I don't get it, the other three have all the lines.

5. KingR76

KingR76 Deck Sergeant

*Coughs* Rimmers lines are perfect when uttered *Coughs* People won't be disappointed *Coughs* The Teaser Trailer (as many have said) shows a lot of stuff out of context *Coughs*

6. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

yeah in my appinion some of the out of context stuff gives it a little series 8 vibe

7. IoHouse

IoHouse First Technician

I hope they remember to put subtitles on the episodes as I had to watch the trailer visually only :-(

8. PFMC84

PFMC84 Catering Officer

I've watched this trailer about 10 times now. I was slightly miffed about the back of Kryten's neck. Why is it so open now? The arm hoops also look a bit too low down and big but I suppose we will get used to it. I have to say I haven't been that bothered with the problem with the nose that everyone else seems to be picking up on. I have noticed it, but I think it's just the camera angles we've seen it from that have made it look weird.

The only points that slightly worry me are Kryten's flailing arms part which could be anything out of context but hopefully is not the return of the over-reacting of Series 7/8/9. Strange we didn't get a Rimmer line, perhaps there was a reason like everything he said was genius and they didn't want to give away some good gags in a promo?

Still, it's great to see the trailer and I can't wait for the series to air. Roll on September/October time!

9. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

I have heard that the new series has occasional and brief glimpses of pantomimy performances of series 8 but much more scaled back.....honestly I can easily forgive a little bit of it if it had good jokes, good stories and doesn't sink to such juvenile antics of T-Rex poo and pet robot penis's. I think though a little is to be expected from Doug Naylor because clearly it's appealing to him.

10. RECTUMfacedPYGMY

The Kryton line at the begining with Lister was on form with 1 to 6 I think. But was thaT a CGI Blue Midget?

11. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

it was a series 6 style model against green screen i believe

12. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Actually, to me it looked like a series VIII/Remastered type model*. I don't think it's quite the same as either, but it has the stubby look of the new version but the industrial flavour of the old. A nice compromise, I think.

*By that, I'm referring to the design of the ship. I'm aware they used CGI for those series.

13. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

It tells us that Barrie has had to do loads of ADR because his performance was so bad. . .

14. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

I never can tell when you are joking or not

15. RECTUMfacedPYGMY

I like what I see, but Who NOSE if this? will be any good.

16. RECTUMfacedPYGMY

17. RECTUMfacedPYGMY

18. AnnieMouse

AnnieMouse Second Technician

Hmm.

Call me cynical, but that trailer makes it look...not as good as I remember. I know it must be hard to compile an attractive trailer without giving away any key moments, but I can't help but feel a bit deflated by it.

I do wonder how much I laughed at the jokes in the recording because Ray Peacock had us in stitches anyway and we were expecting comedy; rather than the jokes *actually* being hilarious...

I'm a little bit afraid that watching the other episodes for the first time on TV will be somewhat anti-climactic.
    I keep saying to people that the obvious see-them-coming-a-mile-away jokes were what made RD great, and this is also why RD is "back on form like the good old days" but I wonder if this style of joke will have the same impact in 2012 as they did all those years ago...

Gah. I'm over-thinking again - I think you tend to over-analyse whatever tiny crumbs you get given, and I'm sure that this 46 seconds is not at all representative of the whole series.

I sincerely hope I'm wrong, I hope that we're not all getting in a froth over this massive occasion, having built it up in our heads, and then we get let down by it...

It's just that...the whole thing just seems less amazing than what I remember feeling for episode 4 filming... *shrugs*

19. ThievingMagpie

ThievingMagpie Skutter

Kryten looks off to me, that's the only complaint really. It's going to be hard to get used to Red Dwarf when the characters are so vastly different looking now but I think that's something we'll all have to deal with in our own way.

20. Seymour_Clufley

Seymour_Clufley First Technician

Talkie Toaster, it's spelled "opinion". No offence, it just annoys me to see people mis-spelling words.

Anyway, my comments on the trailer...

It looks nice. Recognisably RD, and recognisably a sitcom. It looks cosy, not too Hollywood-esque; somehow they've managed to tame the RED to be reminiscent of video, and I'm glad about that.

It's nice to see Blue Midget again. I don't care about the special effects. As long as they do the job and tell the story, that's fine.

My concerns are... apart from Kryten's nose (now that I've finally seen it, I do agree that it looks awful), the jokes were pretty bad, and Kryten seemed to be in s7/8 mode. It also seems to rely on slapstick physical humour, but maybe that's just because you can't really show character stuff/funny dialogue in a 48 second trailer.

I really don't want to be negative about the new series. I'm looking forward to it, and have been for many months. I just hope that the writing is a lot better than the stuff shown in this trailer.