Soccer, errrr Futbol...... or whatever you call it over there

Discussion in 'THE AIGBURTH ARMS' started by BigOleDummy, Dec 19, 2018.

1. BigOleDummy

BigOleDummy Console Officer

The NFL has just announced the Pro Bowl winners. Its the best players in the League without regard to their teams winning or losing record. After the season ends they will play against each other (the 2 conferences AFC and NFC). Its really not much of a game tbh, mostly just an excuse to give the better players a extra payday imo, but it is kind of a big deal in its own way. My question : Does your alls "football" have something similar? If so , how does it work? Our "all pros" are picked by the sportswriters, coaches and a fan vote. Which naturally leads to some acrimony. Who picks yours? What's the game called?

2. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

Who cares?

3. Presuming Ken

Presuming Ken Deck Sergeant

If I'm understanding what you're saying, league-wise we don't have anything like that. The only times the best (open to debate ha) players play together is for their countries in international matches.

Am I right in thinking the afc and nfc are on the same level but too far to play each other each week?

Our football leagues go from good to bad so the Premier League best XI would hammer any other best XI from leagues below.

4. Sammer4Rimmer

Sammer4Rimmer Supply Officer

Subbuteo is what football fans played before the invention of electricity. It’s a board game featuring little wobbly plastic footballers whose lower legs have been horrifically and traumatically moulded into a dome shape – meaning the only way they can kick the ball is via a flick of your fingers.

5. BigOleDummy

Well yes and no. Same level …….its mainly just an administrative thing these days. Left over from when the two leagues merged into one. AFC= American Football Conference (the old American Football League) and NFC = National Football Conference (the old National Football League). They play wherever the computer sends them too actually. Or whoever makes the schedule :lol:. Example , this past Sunday Philadelphia (Eagles) went out to Los Angeles (Rams) to play. 2,709 miles/4359 Kilometers. Now.... they are both in the NFC. Miami (Dolphins) went to Minnesota (Vikings) 1,790 miles/2,880 Kilometers to play. Miami is in the AFC while Minnesota is a NFC team. There's a crap ton of scheduling criteria that sorta kinda changes every year depending on the teams record, but each team plays each team in their division twice and the other eight games are spread out according to the variables I mentioned earlier.

So.…. the Premier League you mention, those are the Pro's , correct?

6. Presuming Ken

Presuming Ken Deck Sergeant

Blimey, sounds complicated. When I was into nfl as a kid it was all Dan Marino and the refrigerator.

Yes....and no.

They are pro's, but the three divisions below are all professional too. Beyond that it gets a bit cloudy, the 5th 6th and 7th divisions have professional and semi professional teams in them. Below that it's pretty much amateur teams.

However, they are all part of the same structure and there are literally hundreds of divisions in England alone containing thousands of teams. So basically your local amateur Sunday League club is in the same footballing pyramid as the Premier League.

But the Premier League is the big division containing world class players who can cost upwards of £90m and earn themselves £500,000 a week! But I'd say your half decent Prem players earn around £40-50k a week.

BigOleDummy likes this.
  7. Ted Danson

Ted Danson First Technician

I aged 57 years reading this drivel

[​IMG]

8. BigOleDummy

So don't...……

9. BigOleDummy

Yeah , the average :"regular" salary for NFL players is around $500,000 to $800,000 per game. The "elite" players, Quarterbacks and some skill position players, can make upwards from $1,000,000 a game or much more.