Smegging Adverts!

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by markmagness, Apr 16, 2009.

1. markmagness

markmagness Third Technician

Is it just me or did anyone else feel ripped off that all three episodes of BTE were only 30 mins long including adverts where the classic episodes are 40 mins including adverts? I was just getting into each episode when they ended!:-(

2. richisawesome

richisawesome Second Technician

No, because Back to Earth isn't three episodes, it's one episode cut into three parts and should be watched all in one go.

3. GTaDave

GTaDave Catering Officer

Driving an Italia Gagliano, The Grizzly Circuit, M
    Adverts are irritating but I only noticed how short the first episode was. The other two didnt feel as short. You could argue that they are three episodes not just one, case in point, was back in the red three episodes or one episode in three parts?

4. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

I suppose they could have padded it out with "video diarys" as they did with BITR but I for one am glad they didn't.

5. darapixie

darapixie Skutter

I thought the same as the OP and that I felt that it was over before it begun. But then I watched all 3 together on Monday night (and every other time they have been on Dave) and it has totally grown on me. At first I hated it, but then when I watched it again (and again) it got better!

I am no fan of the ads but that being said I can watch it without when the DVD comes out.:-D

6. nelix847

nelix847 Third Technician

Same here about addverts greee. But yes as well to it grows on you even more the more times you watch it. You notice things the 2nd time around what you dint notice the 1st time around. Look in the back grounds when they get back to earth youl no what i mean. they actualy put alot more effort in then you think.

7. drumjay

drumjay Catering Officer Fan Club Team

Original Episodes no adverts, same length as what Back to Earth was.

8. XDaveyboyX

XDaveyboyX Skutter

Hi, that's actually incorrect. Earlier (BBC) episodes are actually around 28 minutes long, whereas these new ones are actually 22-23 minutes - which is actually quite significant.

We need to remember that Back to Earth was originally supposed to be a double episode with an unplugged show and then the docu. So it seems that the shows must have been running a bit long so they popped in another episode - which is fine, it made for an entertaining easter weekend.

I loved the story - it really does benefit enormously for being watched in one sitting though. Hopefully we'll get to see it in Hi-Def soon.

9. markmagness

If they had stuck to the episodes original length then they could have cut out some of that bladerunner crap and kept it as a two parter. Would have been much improved in my opinion.

10. peas_and_korn

peas_and_korn First Technician

Commercials are a fact of life. Deal with it.

11. markmagness

The amount a TV license costs all channels should be commercial free. Including Groovy Funky Channel 27. :-)

12. 2x4b523q

2x4b523q Second Technician

I remember watch it when all of a sudden Mitchell&Webb come walking in dressed as chicks! I'm like...are they in Red Dwarf, now? :idea: - It would have been nice if they had done what every other channel did and display their channel logo with "Red Dwarf: Back To Earth" on screen, that way we would been able to differenciate the adverts and the actuall episode. :?:x
    Furthermore, after the title sequence, it said "Back To Earth". Never "I", "II" or "III". So I think it is just one episode that is just longer as a bonus.

13. darapixie

darapixie Skutter

I was totally the same. I was like "what on earth happened to the Editing Department?"

14. CJ_MAK

CJ_MAK Deck Sergeant

Yeah the adverts were definately annoying for me due to their being no inclination that they were going to start, agreed the addition of a logo in between breaks would've been nice, would've prefered no adverts at all but since Dave isn't funded via TV licences unlike the BBC I can live with that.

As for the Episode/s Intro's I agree, It's just one long Episode split into part's so that Dave could make back the money they put into it.

15. 2x4b523q

I say, I just take all of my hard disc drive recordings and edit them together. I will be watching Mitchell&Webb, though. Did red Dwarf used to have adbreaks at all?

16. CJ_MAK

CJ_MAK Deck Sergeant

No but that was due to it being on the BBC....

17. 2x4b523q

IT USED TO BE ON WHAT:!::?::!::?:
    That's like broadcasting Doctor Who on Independant Television (ITV)! They can't do this - it infuriates me!:x:evil::!: