series X opening

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by jaybo1973, Feb 13, 2012.

1. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

the opening credits will show you whats still to come and hopefully keep people watching

there is bound to be a trailers also come the day

2. mophead241

mophead241 Catering Officer

I think that would work, have 1 & 2 opening for the first ep (as already suggested) then use clips for the previous episodes for the next 5/7.

3. supercat

supercat Console Officer

The next 5/7 what?

4. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

so instead of 3 hours of footage to put into a 30 second opening credits you would rather have 1 hour of footage? id think it was a more winning formular to do the 3 hours thing rather then spoil the first 2 episodes if someone happen to miss them for whateva reason

i think doing the 1 and 2 opening then changing it mid way through would be abit odd i guess, i mean maybe if they started episode one with a pre-credit sequence showing the new model in a series 1 and 2 way with the music then hit the opening credits guitar solo version but for just that one episode while the next 5 eps just have the guitar solo opening then it might be a nice thing and an epic opening to the new series

the board seems to be getting very paranoid when it comes to spoilers, esp to now complain that the opening credits (which they had since 1989) may be to much of a spoiler

5. Seymour_Clufley

Seymour_Clufley First Technician

I hated that. It seemed to exemplify the Remastered project: they took a classic thing that was low-key and soulful, and defaced it with loud, inyerface effects.

Both openings are great, but I think that combining them just murders the s1-2 opening.

In any case I doubt we'll get the s1-2 version. It'll be just like BTE one but with clips from RDX - probably clips that don't give away plot details and surprises, if the people choosing them are sane.

6. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

7. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

I think that GNP are smart enough to be able to splice together an opening montage that doesn't give away key plot concepts but rather creates and piques interest.

If you watch Series 6, for example, about the only spoilers you would see were that Ace Rimmer and Dwane Dibley were returning and that just left a mystery of how (and probably led to all manner of WRONG guesses at the time). I don't think this ruined the show for anyone. All the other bits were just, "woah, what was that weird hairy thing" or "huh, how are they in the wild west?". These teasers create interest rather than directly ruin key plot elements and are linked toether to deliberately mislead the viewer in some cases.
    I believe the death of Lister is shown in the intro, yet removed from context we have no idea that this is what we are actually seeing.

8. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

Hmm, I can't say I agree with this. Out-of-context clips are a teaser, especially as they don't contain dialogue or anything. I'd consider them significantly less spoilery than, for example, a trailer - of which we'll presumably get a few before broadcast as well!

9. mophead241

mophead241 Catering Officer

Episodes, I can't remember if they've announced how many episodes there are yet.

10. backtoreality

backtoreality Supply Officer

Maybe spoiler was the wrong word for it...

But you know what I mean - picture the hundreds of Dwarf fans out there ditching internet usage and unplugging their TVs until RD airs in the autumn to avoid any glimpse of what might come. They sit down replug their TV exactly on time for the new episode and in the excitement forget that the opening scenes will undo all that good work... just saying no biggy... [previous dramatisation is not exactly guaranteed to have has happeninged in the future]

And with RD hoping to capture a new audience as well I see the need for funking things up too...

I'm just glad its back and I'll deal with things in my own particular quirky way as shall we all

Go Team!

:-D

11. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Six have been filmed.

12. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Console Officer

I understand what you mean, out of context clips ARE a teaser, but I remember some credit teasers in older shows for example when Krytens head explodes. I'm not to sure if this became an opening credit after that episode aired or before that episode was transmitted. I have seen other things which are in the opening credits before the particular episode is shown and that for me leaves a feeling of "Oh thats what that bit was" but rather an anti climax to the scene. It's like being told a really good joke but some one jumps in with the punch line before the end of the joke.

I have seen credits this way before although I can't remember if they were Dwarf related or other programs. Don't get me wrong I do like clips but they should either be specially shot for the credits and not really be from the episodes or the intro credits need to be from a previous already aired episode and obviously change every week.

Trailers are a different matter altogether and are a massive spoiler which I could do with avoiding as much as possible.

13. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

I take your point, but if you look at it from the perspective of the makers/broadcaster of the programme - it's not just fans that they have to try and grab. They've got to go after the casual viewer. And a dynamic, exciting opening titles sequence, filled with lots of dynamic, exciting clips, helps to do that. It says to someone who might just have flicked on, "This programme is going to be dynamic and exciting!" In short, there are far more people out there who need to be convinced by a trailer, or a snappy opening, than there are people who will watch no matter what but who are hyper-sensitive about spoilers.

But if they do go with a "highlights package" intro and it's really that much of a problem for you, you could always just close your eyes and listen to the music ;-)

(Also, while some fans might be worried about spoilers, other fans actively enjoy the tease that these type of sequences provide - they get to spend weeks going "I wonder what the context of that is", or "That one bit is the only one we haven't seen yet, that must be coming this week!" etc.)

14. gem5ie

gem5ie Catering Officer

I must say, much as I like the opener from series 1 and 2, I hope they keep with the montage for RDX for the same reasons Seb outlines above. I find it's fun trying to work out what's happening based on a tiny clip!

Series 7 was the first one I watched on original broadcast. I remember knowing that Rimmer was going to be written out, and then seeing the clip of him getting blowtorched in the face during the locker-room in Ouroboros actually created EXTRA suspense (even though I realised at the time that probably wasn't going to be how he went).

15. supercat

supercat Console Officer

Ah, of course! I just had a thick moment :-D
    As Bluey just said, they have filmed 6 :-)

16. Stephen

Stephen Guest

I agree with Seb. What?...what have I said?!

17. connell

connell First Technician

I too would like an intro in the vein of the remastered one;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Br8DXPk5HuE

But possibly a bit better done (better clips and get rid of that god awful cgi)
    Although I suppose it's pretty certain that version won't happen as they haven't filmed a new 'painting zoom out' with Craig Charles.. have they?

18. SixthDwarfer

SixthDwarfer Supply Officer

A minor peeve, but I'd prefer not to have the actors names in the opening credits, as that seems to be the vogue in TV at the moment. And it didn't work in 'Back to Earth' as the opening should be a fast montage of clips, and it doesn't slow down enough to showcase a single actor.

19. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I always disliked the remastered opening. I find the switch from old-style to new-style part of the way through horribly jarring.

20. jaybo1973

jaybo1973 Catering Officer

I didn't dis like the bte opening, it did build the show up for a fall though. Even so, bring back the original and set the mood.

Hadn't seen the re mastered intro of series one until now. Not keen on it, why would they show clips of later series?