series 9 and 10?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by voo7hees, Jun 17, 2009.

1. GTaDave

GTaDave Catering Officer

Driving an Italia Gagliano, The Grizzly Circuit, M
    Ive yet to get round to watching the dvd, Im currently at the end of seaon 3 of Star Trek TNG... I dont want to interupt my intermittant marathon lol

2. Weevil

Weevil Deck Sergeant

I've watched everything apart from the directors cut without commentary. I've been watching it alongside series IV

3. Red_Dwarf_Heroes_Lost_Fan

Red_Dwarf_Heroes_Lost_Fan Supply Officer

3,000,000 years into deep space. (otherwise, Dubli
    I should get series 1-5 on DVD. Have them on VHS though.

4. Weevil

Weevil Deck Sergeant

Sold my VHS's on ebay just before the DVD versions were released. The rest went in charity bags

5. Red_Dwarf_Heroes_Lost_Fan

I'd get them if I had the money, but my mum say, why, if we have the VHS? She doesn't understand the difference between good quality and bad quality.

6. missadventure

missadventure Second Technician

I'd love it if we could have the plot filled in with series IX and X - so many loose ends like why is Rimmer a Hologram again and what happened when Kochanski left. I don't mind if the cast look older - I have an imagination lol. But my main problem would be with anything that is produced now is just not gonna beat series 1-6. Which were THE best. The storylines just can't beat Backwards, Camille, Better than Life et al.

7. dvd3500

dvd3500 Supply Officer

I dunno. I am sort of sick of "prequels"...

8. littlesmegger

littlesmegger Third Technician

Hmm my issue with comments like that, is when comparing earlier series with later series, you're comparing two different visions. So looking at BtE and whatever will follow it, it's no longer a 'sitcom' [a format which kinda died anyway], it's a comedy drama. If Red Dwarf had carried on with a dated sitcom format, Red Dwarf would have died a lot earlier then it did, and probably wouldn't have had any chance of being brought back even now.

Television changed, and so Red Dwarf had to aswell. Otherwise Back to Earth as a 90's sitcom would've been nothing but a nostalgic flashback, instead of the rebirth it's possibly going to be.

9. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Take that back! Take that back! :-) The sitcom format is far from dead! The IT crowd is great, and My Family is pretty popular (although it really isn't my cup of tea, I can't deny many liked it. Actually I think it's over now, but only recently over.) Also please bear in mind, not all sitcoms come with a laugh track. (Not that I'm suggesting a laugh track is a bad idea.)

That being said, I do actually welcome the comedy drama route in Red Dwarf. As long as the gags that come are very funny too, I'm happy for a plot driven story.

10. Red_Dwarf_Heroes_Lost_Fan

I've just had a brain wave! They should make Identity Within!

11. dvd3500

dvd3500 Supply Officer

I'm with you there. I was handed the DVD being told it was "hilarious" but I noticed I had to be on my second bottle of wine to really laugh outloud. There is very little wit to it to be honest.

Mind you, I have only seen series one, maybe it gets better, but the semg ups were the funniest part of the DVD IMHO.