series 9 and 10?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by voo7hees, Jun 17, 2009.

1. voo7hees

voo7hees Third Technician

i think a seris 9 and 10 would be good set before back to earth but after series 8,

2. garfie

garfie Catering Officer

Wrong side of the thin line between genius and ins
    9 and 10 coming after 8? That's a bit of a radical concept isn't it?

3. kochanskitis

kochanskitis Third Technician

I'd have to disagree. Set the new series after BTE. The guys are older and any new series is going to have to take acoount of that not go back to where they were 11 years ago. Plus i'd be very excited seeing how lister/Kochanskis re-union pans out now Lister's got his mojo back.

4. Baxters_Hooch

Baxters_Hooch Supply Officer

The end of BTE clearly was intended to set up that storyline of Lister's search to get Kochanski back. Nevertheless, it'd be good to have the nine year gap fleshed out a little. So I'm torn lol!

5. Stephen

Stephen Guest

I'm still slightly confused as to the status of "series 9" :-/

6. voo7hees

voo7hees Third Technician

but if they want to make a series after back to earth then they should call it series 11

7. garfie

garfie Catering Officer

Wrong side of the thin line between genius and ins
    Why? The series mentioned in BTE were figments of a squid induced hallucination so why would that affect series numbers?

8. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Me too. I do think it should continue, but some backstory could be included even if it's just the odd line here or there. I wouldn't mind the odd flashback. Sure the characters would look the same age, but since it's a flashback you could just consider them as placeholders, so to speak. (I.e. they're reliving their past? Difficult to explain what I mean...)

If it was set before BtE it could be set just before. It's not certain exactly when Kochanski vanished, the kids on the bus state it happened during during series 10. Considering Lister's state at the start of BtE (still mourning but at least making some attempt to cheer himself up, what with bugging Rimmer, etc.) it could be anything between a few months to a couple of years. If it's latter rather than earlier that series is doable, the characters wouldn't have changed much. I thinkt that might be a bit too depressing for a comedy series though.

I rather like the hunt for Kochanski arc, idea with adventures and misadventures along the way. And creatures. New gelfs.

9. Red_Dwarf_Heroes_Lost_Fan

Red_Dwarf_Heroes_Lost_Fan Supply Officer

3,000,000 years into deep space. (otherwise, Dubli
    I would agree, but the actors are much older now, so it wouldn't work.

10. Windfola

Windfola Third Technician

But since there is a nine year gap in the show, any new pre-BtE series could be set in the couple of years previous. Personally I'd be happy to continue onward from BtE with past events just being referenced, or maybe some small flashbacks like in Blue.

11. paulalbert

paulalbert Third Technician

If it's too hard I can't understand it! Persinally I would literally wet my drawers if there was :Pgonna be a new series or two!!

12. Red_Dwarf_Heroes_Lost_Fan

I think a new series AT ALL would probably be the best thing in the world!

13. Weevil

Weevil Deck Sergeant

Oh yes bring it on!

14. Red_Dwarf_Heroes_Lost_Fan

We should start a campaign, like they did with The 4400. And that one convinced them to write 4400 books! (that's books about The 4400, not a quantity of 4400 books. ;-)) And another Red Dwarf book is better than nothing!

15. littlesmegger

littlesmegger Third Technician

The reason it should technically be Season XI is because although the events of Back to Earth were brought on by the Joy Squid, Kryten explained at the end that everything that happened created a new Parallel Universe... also known as our universe, hence us thinking Red Dwarf is a show and that we're real, when infact it's the other way around.

So in OUR universe, according to Red Dwarf, Series IX and X have infact already happened... doesn't anyone remember Series IX?! Was the best series by miles!!! :P

16. Red_Dwarf_Heroes_Lost_Fan

Ummmmm..... wtf? You confused me! :?

17. Windfola

Windfola Third Technician

Ah, but you're forgetting one thing. They weren't in our universe! ;-)

18. johna1905

johna1905 Second Technician

Excatly, i wish peep's would get over this being no series 9 thing. it was just a plot devise. when the new series is made i'm sure what happend at the end of series 8 will be discussed briefly some where along the line. People take these things far too seriously. Listen to dougs commentary on Back to earth Directors cut he explains a lot.

19. GTaDave

GTaDave Catering Officer

Driving an Italia Gagliano, The Grizzly Circuit, M
    Getting older is inevitable in all programs, except cartoons (Cant believe Bart, Simpson is Still 10 after all these years :lol:) I dont think age will make that much difference I still believe they need to explain what happened in the years since 8 and BTE, Also BTE didnt give that much away. No crew, no Holly, and Rimmer is a hardlight hologram. It isnt much so you can still write more before and after. One thing I would like explained more than anything is Rimmer. Where did he come from, And how did the rest of the crew get there. Didnt the Original Rimmer take the Hardlight components with him when he went off to be ace rimmer?

20. johna1905

johna1905 Second Technician

Like i said before i'm sure an explaination will be at some point in the new series when it arrives listen to dougs commentary on BTE