Series 8 to 10 (loose ends)

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by AmandaKnox, Dec 28, 2011.

1. AmandaKnox

AmandaKnox Third Technician

Series 8 ended with the ship incinerating, the crew had buggered off to a parallel universe, leaving Rimmer alone to die, he kicked death in the nuts and ran off... while the ship was still burning.
    Series 9... back to normal 9 years later, the main characters are all there and the ship is fine.

There's a big loose end here that needs tying up... basically, I wanna see what happened next!! lol.
    Had a discussion with a couple of friends on Facebook about this and they reckon that the end of series 8 is yet to be continued, possibly in series 10..?
    Is it possible that series 10 could actually be going back to follow on from the ending of "Only The Good" at the end of series 8?

2. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

the cast are over 9 years older and have aged to much to continue on from series 8

its most likely going to be set 9 or 10 years later and what happened after series 8 will probably be explain in an episode of series 10, pehaps later on along the line in the series though

3. backtoreality

backtoreality Supply Officer

You never know with Red Dwarf? [Though series 3 began with the Star Wars flying script & series 7 with the Lister's ships log style explanation] Doug hinted at the last RD convention that they might give it a possible mention to the series 8 ending but didn't want to bog the new series down too much. Rather focus on kicking bottom on a whole new adventure...

4. AmandaKnox

Bogged down with series 8?? That was a hell of an ending, it's driving me mad that I don't get to see how they got out of it, lol.
    I hope they at least try to explain :eek:

5. AmandaKnox

Just to clear up series 9; it was all a hallucination brought on by a dispair squid and they didn't actually go back to earth?
    Anyone else think that it just wasn't quite the same without a live audience?

6. ori-STUDFARM

ori-STUDFARM Supply Officer

I thought I did. Then I got a hold of a copy that somebody had put a laughter track to...It was very well done. But it still didn't feel right. I think the actors need the audience reaction to put in the best performance. Certainly Danny and Robert anyway...Thats my opinion.

Can I also point out that I do actually own BtE. I downloaded it with a laughter track just to see what it was like with...

7. kateandbarney

kateandbarney Third Technician

Anyone else think that it just wasn't quite the same without a live audience?[/quote]

You're right there, i'm thrilled they are doing X with a live audience, i just wish i was going!

8. Pendo

Pendo Second Officer Fan Club Team

I don't really think it's that important and am happy for it to never even be mentioned. We as fans can make up our own theories about what happened. I don't think we should waste time trying to go back and explain what happened.

I'd be happy for there to be a Star Wars style scroll at the start of the first episode, similar to Series 3, or a quick recap like the beginning of Series 7 (but quicker and better), but once that's done with, let's move on and focus on Red Dwarf's future.

9. AmandaKnox

Been trying to think of theories, lol.
    Rimmer must have died at the end because he's a hologram again in Back To Earth. I'd just like a quick mention about how the ship is fine and which universe they're in.

10. ori-STUDFARM

ori-STUDFARM Supply Officer

I think it was Andrew that had posted Doug's thoughts on the matter. BtE being nearly 10 years after the end of VIII gives the series a whole fresh element of unknown history. Unknown history that can now be tapped into for character development and story plotlines and jokes galore. I'm sure at some point, we'll get an explanation for Series VIII's conclusion. Be it a super quick Star Wars style scroll, or in general character conversation, or even in a flashback scenario...

...as long as it isn't explained at the start of RDX by Lister holding a camcorder addressing us, the audience, directly. As long as we don't get a repeat of that, I don't mind...But I'm sure it'll come one way or another..

11. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

Or something like Hollister making a log. I just watched series VIII, and that really annoyed me.

12. kakchris

kakchris Third Technician

i think a Casual Viewer of Red Dwarf switching on to watch the 1st new Full series since 1999 who may or may not have seen Back to earth would be Very confused if it started trying to explain a cliffhanger from 12 or 13 years ago.

Before Back To Earth started i wondered myself whether they would somehow reference The end of "Only The Good" but when it came up with "Nine Years Later" i think that was the best Thing they could of done.

i think it may get a mention During conversation During the new series but i doubt they would dwell on it or create a specific sequence or flashback to tie it up.ut then again i could be totally wrong.. there are many lose ends like (ship changing size, what was the fate of the rest of the Crew. what actually did Happen to Rimmer... How did the others get back ect ect) maybe leaving it all to the imagination or just a fleeting line would be the best bet. im just happy we are in a position to talk about what May or May Not happen in the NEW series of RED DWARF.

Good Times Ahead.

13. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

well judging by krytens theory that the reason they could snap out of the joy squids hallucination was because of there experiances with the dispair squid to which the BTE rimmer verifys by saying it gave them the chance to choose between realitys

now this has given many people the impression that the BTE rimmer is infact the original Rimmer

and even doug naylor in the commantary hints that its most likely the original rimmer

14. Mermaidman

Mermaidman Skutter

I am not really bothered about the instant story explanation as it might slow the start down.

ps. canny to see other drawfers from the North East :lol:8)

15. Mermaidman

Mermaidman Skutter

that's a reasonable view.