Seies one "The End" filming error

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by sundayforsammy, Dec 20, 2011.

1. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Console Officer

I was just watching "The End" from the Bodysnatchers collection and at the bit when Rimmer leaves to go to his exam he walks out the door and heads the wrong way and then turns round and goes the correct way, hoping that Lister hasn't seen him. Lister then says "Lock .... LOCK" to get the ships computer to close the door, just as the door closes you see a someones hand through the window clasp the edge of the door and then push it shut. this is the bit just prior to him giving the cat some milk.

I hadn't noticed this gaff before thats all.
    Has anyone got any other errors they have noticed to look out for that may have gone unnoticed.

2. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I've noticed that one in The End before.

Another one I recall was spotting a person in the far distance in, I think, the cargo bay in Pete.

3. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

Surely the bigger issue with that scene is that there is no right turn outside of the boys' bunkroom? Turning right will lead you directly to where that window is, peering out into space. Now even assuming that heading right takes you off in some other direction, or the window is merely a video screen or something, don't we see the outside of the room in Me2 when Rimmer is having the skutters paint the corridor Military Grey at 4:30am or something, and Lister announces he hasn't been to bed yet. I don't recall there being any other paths in that corridor, but haven't checked so someone kindly correct me if I am mistaken. So it leads direct to Rimmer and Lister's bunkroom, and that's it. So if Rimmer left the room and turned right, he'd be faced with a wall.

Again, I haven't actually confirmed this, but if I remember later on I'll pop the Series I DVD in and take a lookie to refresh the memory, or someone else can check it if they have it closer to hand and have the time necessary to check things.

EDIT: I have now confirmed this. During Me2 we see Rimmer and Lister in that specific corridor, clearly meant to represent being outside of the bunkroom (as opposed to seeing the same corridor set in The End when they meet Todhunter, but it's likely meant to represent a different part of the ship at that point) and there is just a solid wall if you turn right after leaving the bunkroom.

4. codename_47

codename_47 First Technician

Uhhh yeah, that's the joke.

Rimmer was nervous about his exam and bragging to Lister that he wasn't nervous...

Then goes and walks into a wall.

5. SixthDwarfer

SixthDwarfer Supply Officer

The window in Rimmer & Rimmer's sleeping quarters in 'Me 2' backs onto the corridor that Lister walks down to get to it.

6. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

The joke is that he is in "complete control" and then the first thing he does is walk the wrong way to a room he probably knows better than his bunkroom for all the time he's spent there, followed by his quick dash back in the hope Lister didn't notice. There is no indication there is a wall to the right hand side of the room, but rather it seems laid out to suggest there is a corridor passing outside (like there is outside the room that is later used for Rimmer/Rimmer and Kochanski in series 2).

7. Number_58

Number_58 Second Technician

Bah that's no error. That's Red Dwarf after the JMC cutbacks, silly.

8. SixthDwarfer

In 'The End', Rimmer walks out and hits a wall before walking back in the opposite direction. Simple.

9. SixthDwarfer

I always figured that there was a scene break between them walking to the Rimmer's quarters and that it was a few corridors away in a different part of the ship (no more than minute or so's walk away). Whenever anybody walks down the corridor to get to it, I figure that just out of sight there must be either an elevator or stairway that leads up to it, allowing there to be a window looking out into space.

Dammit, I wish I could use some kind of internet program to draw what I'm thinking!

10. AmandaKnox

AmandaKnox Third Technician

Eeeesh at you lot picking the show to bits, lol