Red Dwarf USA information?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by ori-STUDFARM, Jan 4, 2012.

1. ori-STUDFARM

ori-STUDFARM Supply Officer

Okay, I'm going to be recording a review of the RD USA pilot in a couple of weeks. Apart from the Red Dwarf USA short documentary on the DVD extras, Wiki, TV.COM and IMDB, does anyone know of any other sources of trivia and general knowledge about it. Or know any interesting but not very well known facts?

Truth is, we've been off for about 8 months....and I'm struggling with the research motivation....:-D

2. Pendo

Pendo Second Officer Fan Club Team

3. ori-STUDFARM

Cheers. Saves me having to use the "search" function :-)

I remember seeing/hearing/reading somewhere that Craig Bierko turned down a role in another TV show to play Dave Lister in Red Dwarf USA. The other show was Friends and the character was some geezer called Joey? Anybody else heard this or know where that first came from? I honestly can't remember....

4. gem5ie

gem5ie Catering Officer

You didn't mention The Man in the Rubber Mask, Ori, but I'm sure you meant to... :-)

5. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

Yeah, if you've not already got the recent audiobook, get on that! For a fiver it's pretty unmissable anyway, but in tandem with the Dwarfin' USA doc it's basically all you could want/need to know that's out there.

6. ori-STUDFARM

I really should make some of the others research too!! :-)

7. backtoreality

backtoreality Supply Officer

Smegazine Volume 1 Number 2, 9 & 13 have short reports.

But Rubber Mask sheds great insight.

8. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Issue 9 of the Smegazine features a very good interview with Rob and Doug about their experiences making the American pilot. It's especially interesting since, as far as I know, it's the only time Rob Grant has even spoken at length about the American show. The online version is here. You'll find their interview on page 37. On page 11 somebody has also written a good review of the episode.

9. ori-STUDFARM

Cheers everyone. Looking into the Smegazines now... Rubber Mask downloaded and ready to play....and all of this is before we hit the usual sites (which I know didn't have a lot of detail about 12 months or so ago...I've been dreading this review!!)

10. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Console Officer

It might be worth having a little Tweet with Robert as he might want to offer some info that he might still have tucked away in his ram chips.

11. Pendo

This thread made me go back and rewatch both pilots last night. Oh boy I'd forgotten how bad they were. What were those Americans thinking?!

12. ori-STUDFARM

I haven't watched in a while, but I remember thinking they weren't as bad as people made them out to be. I certainly think Hinton Battle played an excellant version of Cat. And Terry Farrel's version, whilst very different, could have worked.

I even quite liked Craig Bierko's version of Lister....once I got over the shock of his pure "hunkery"...if you know what I mean...

That said, I haven't watched it for ages....and there were other factors that were just awful....**cough**Rimmer!**cough**

13. Pendo

Yes, I think Rimmer was the most mis-cast character and it didn't work. I actually prefer Terry Farrel's cat to Hinton Battle, and for the very reason that it is very different to the Cat we know. I think where the US Pilots failed is that they tried to copy the English version, with the same characters, same storylines, same jokes. If they had totally gone back to the drawing board and made a fresh story with fresh characters, it may have worked. But seeing these "imposters" delivering lines that weren't written for them, it feels so wrong.

14. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

The characterisation was the main problem for me. Rimmer just had no subtlety like Barrie's version does; he was just relentlessly nasty. Not to mention a bit camp. And the fact that Lister is a handsome, well-preened individual who's noticeably taller than Rimmer gives the Lister/Rimmer relationship a really odd dynamic. You just don't get the feeling of 'superior Rimmer' and 'downtrodden Lister' from it.

Also, because of certain changes (Kryten being in the show; the Kochanski/Lister relationship being much more advanced than in the UK version and taking up more time), it's basically the Dave Lister Show. Rimmer only gets one proper scene before the accident. The person who reviewed the US pilot in the Smegazine made a good point about when Rimmer returns as a hologram: if you'd never seen Red Dwarf before your reaction would probably be, "Which one was Rimmer?"

Chris Eigeman as Rimmer really was awful. And I have to disagree about Hinton Battle. I thought he was pretty lame too; he just didn't become the character in the same way that Danny did. Craig Bierko as Lister was decent enough though I suppose, but that woman who played Holly was bloody annoying.

15. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

While in an ideal world the Smegazine content would be legally available online for free, I'm afraid I'm compelled to remove that link, Bluey. I only hope I did it quickly enough before anyone got the info they needed.

16. ori-STUDFARM

It's okay....I'm sure I'll be able to get the info totally above board and legally....Cheers for pointing me in the right direction.

(btw, Andrew never felt the need to delete a similar link in the past!:-))

17. codename_47

codename_47 First Technician

They talk about it a bit in the convention footage on Smeg Outs don't they?

Mainly that Robert didn't bang his head on the higher sets, the food was everywhere and amazing and he got paid Forty Thousand Dollars.

I saw it and it surprisingly had its moments, mainly Jane Leeves as Holly (pre Fraiser) and Jadzia Dax as Cat.
    And Robert, of course.

18. ori-STUDFARM

That is the "clip show" version which I believe is the second pilot....but promo might be a more appropriate description...

The first one is a full pilot episode roughly following The End and introducing all the characters. With Hinton Battle as Cat and no Terry Farrell

19. johna1905

johna1905 Second Technician

do you think we will ever see the RD USA on any future releases, i've only ever seen clips and would like to see the full version

20. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

It's been on Youtube for years.