Red Dwarf Blu Rays

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by SweatyChimpBoy, Jan 30, 2018.

1. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Catering Officer

While I do still think most of the series 1 episodes after The End are probably the best we will ever see them i.e. a fair improvement (series 1 is the oldest recorded anyway), I have to agree with you that series 2 is a more substantial step forward in image quality. The colours are much more vivid and appealing to the eye while it is virtually all much sharper. Anyone doubting the quality of this Blu-ray box set's picture should surely not criticise how the late 1988 run has turned out.

However, while I enjoyed the image even more than series 1, I am really dreading what it will look like in just after five more episodes time. If it can be rectified, replacement discs issued please.

2. Asclepius

Asclepius Deck Sergeant

Just ordered an HDMI cable.

Ant E likes this.
  3. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

And the award for best post of 2019 (so far) goes to....

Asclepius likes this.
  4. UltraDevotee

Finished watching series 2 yesterday and on to series 3 tomorrow.

I know some people on this board are not fond of Parallel Universe, but again like in my last Dwarfathon almost 4 years ago it was one of my favourites to watch. I don't think it is offensive really because the whole point is that the male Dwarfers sexist attitudes - Rimmer in particular - are inverted back on to them when they meet their female selves who are part of a female orientated society. The only thing I would say though is some of the scenes with the male and female Rimmers together would probably not be allowed in this day and age.

But other than that it is a brilliant episode with like I said back in 2015, a party atmosphere until the skilful twist at the end. The "Oh Listy" scene is very likely one of my favourite scenes in RD ever. It is just so funny especially with the baby Skutters appearing around the adult one!

BTW, I enjoyed all the episodes in series 2 and would give them all 10 out of 10 - as it was the start of RD's golden period - but my other favourite one to re-watch was Better Than Life this time.

But anyway RD's first brilliant series is still all sensational. The Blu-ray versions were very good for series 2 but I am nervous about tomorrow when I watch Backwards as the quality is meant to be questionable. Doh. Have to hope somehow it is not as bad as people are saying but that does not seem likely. Suppose if it is really that terrible, I could revert back to the series 3 DVD.

5. UltraDevotee

Just another thing...I forgot to mention in the chart of all video releases the box set came in at number 30 in its first week, which is not bad as the other releases obviously could take advantage of DVD sales too combined and it was all genres of DVD and Blu-ray.

Anyway, in its 2nd week it is now 40 in the Blu-ray chart and number 23 in the TV chart so although that is a large fall as it is not new Red Dwarf and the reviews for the most part have been poor that is not a disaster really especially if it can hold on in there for another few weeks.

After watching Harry and Paul series 2 just now (I watched half before Christmas and wanted to finish the final 3 today), I will proceed with my Dwarfathon tomorrow. I will watch all Dwarf now until the end of Skipper. Can't wait for tomorrow...but please somehow can the picture quality at least be just about watchable?

Asclepius likes this.
  6. ldsbonweb1

ldsbonweb1 Third Technician

I can name some episodes from series 8 that are far more offensive. I wish more people would understand stuff said in Parallel universe. Basics like, woman are people... Sadly even today some people have problem understanding that fact.

UltraDevotee likes this.
  7. dvd3500

dvd3500 Supply Officer

Surely not the shower scene?

8. Asclepius

Asclepius Deck Sergeant

Well, that's the reason why they were doing the Blu-rays. :lol:

9. ldsbonweb1

Or being classified as a woman is disgrace and the worst thing you can be is a woman.... Wait it's true.. it actually sucs being a woman...

10. Nikki the Great

Nikki the Great Flight Co-Ordinator

<joins in the vagina flaunting>

11. ldsbonweb1

:-D

12. UltraDevotee

Just watched Backwards right now and tbh, I don't think there was much to worry about in terms of picture quality in series 3 so far. It all looked okay to be honest and there was only a few bits in the pub scene which I would call "poor" in terms of the image.

With the way people were calling the whole of series 3 out I was expecting something awful and it was not bad to be honest. I think the problem is people were expecting series 3 to be better and really it is only a tiny bit better, if that, than the DVD versions. But it is "watchable" and I am quite happy with series 3 so far - admittedly after only 1 episode - as long as you expect it is not genuinely better than the 2003 release.

13. UltraDevotee

As for the episode Backwards itself, it is still fantastic and the backwards effect - despite being dated - still remains highly funny to this day (love the cafe, "bar room tidy," bush at the end scenes). It's the beginning of the busier, more action-based Red Dwarf Mark II and while it is a great I do wonder if Backwards had been written for series 7-12 would people be more likely to criticise its errors in logic - like the way the backwards effect does not apply to the Dwarfers - as some people have really laid into anything that does not make full sense in the Doug-solo series.

Logical errors aside - which you have to make allowances for because it is so hilarious and otherwise clever - 10 out of 10 from me.

14. Asclepius

Asclepius Deck Sergeant

I've seen this comparsion video and I can't really spot the difference.

Haven't watched series 3 yet on Blu-ray, but I saw bits from Back to Reality. It looked horrible at the beginning, but not as bad in other scenes.

UltraDevotee likes this.
  15. UltraDevotee

I think you have expressed it better than me regarding series 3.

It is not better than the DVD version but apart from 2/3 bits in the pub it was not worse however. So while I would agree with other Dwarfers on Amazon that series 3 is disappointing in that it is not an upgrade I would also say - admittedly after only 1 episode so far - it is at least not the absolute disaster people are making it out to be.

Still though, Marooned tomorrow. One of my favourite episodes to rewatch back in 2015. Hope it looks acceptable too. But yes series 1 and 2 were good and very good transfers to Blu-ray, respectively, while series 3 is not.

16. UltraDevotee

TBH, just watched Marooned an hour or so ago and I thought it looked okay. Not particularly better as an upscale but apart from one poor bit when Rimmer and Lister are in the cockpit, it was alright...watchable certainly.

As for the episode itself...well it is basically back to the first principles of series 1/2 with a basic (but brilliant) story and mainly talk - a sort of series 3 bottle episode - and like back in 2015 this has been one of my favourites to re-watch. So many great gags, one-liners etc. A phenomenal 10 out of 10.

17. UltraDevotee

Polymorph looked mostly alright apart from a scene near the beginning, which is important because that is often viewed by many - including me - as one of the top 5 Red Dwarf shows ever!

For a first episode solely based on the new-look Red Dwarf it is an incredibly strong script to show it all off with great production values. Every line, every scene was insanely hilarious but my favourite part to re-watch has to be Rimmer as a peacenik!

The pay off works and is quite clever because you forget that the Cat trapped the heat locking bazookoid fire in that room and of course Cat is too hopelessly wasted to let the others know or it has slipped his mind.

Brilliant episode 10 out of 10 and fortunately the Blu-ray version is alright IMHO.

18. UltraDevotee

Before I lose credibility though I must say Bodyswap and Timeslides were definitely poor transfers. While still watchable, both were quite grainy and not of the standard that should really be expected for even an upscale from tape.

Still as The Last Day was probably the best Blu-ray version for series 3 as there was not really any grainy parts - although I was watching on my upstairs 32 inch TV for that ep and that maybe masked any issues as it is a smaller screen - I do not think series 3 apart from shows 4/5 is as terrible as people have stated.

19. UltraDevotee

Just felt compelled to write a few thoughts about The Last Day. Although it is not particularly a "big" name episode it was one of my favourites to re-watch. Like the preceding finale it is again a quite upbeat, party episode. Unlike some of the other ones in the 1989 run it is mainly the Dwarfers talking and it is quite a both comical and even at times effectively thoughtful episode (e.g. Lister's being deserted at birth etc.). For the final 6 or so minutes only then it transforms into a more typical of series 3 action-based end with the amusingly deranged Hudzen 10 trying to terminate Kryten.

Like Marooned as it is mainly chatter it is a different kind of episode to the more active ones and provides the series with balance and is highly effective with a tense, energetic finale to boot.

Great to re-watch, I have a soft spot for it and probably my favourite line was about the git-like Rimmer's work with the Samaritans.

10 out of 10.

20. UltraDevotee

For a second Dwarfathon in a row, I must say I have thoroughly enjoyed series 4 and it is rapidly becoming one of my favourite Red Dwarf series. It is strangely funny really because when I first watched it - when I initially became a fan of Red Dwarf back in 1994 (I was a 10 year old boy then) - while I always thought the first three episodes were decent I never used to view them as up there with the finest Red Dwarfs and tended to prefer the "Byte 2" VHS with the final 3 ones on. But I think presently series 4 is becoming one of the very best series to me, very possibly even in the top 3. While I still think series 2 to 6 was all Red Dwarfs top glory days, I suppose some fans reckon those early 90s runs were the very peak of the show. Camille is a really strong episode anyway but I feel from DNA onwards it is the first time that the sci-fi became really sophisticated but still melded with the supremely funny humour of old. There are some phenomenal concepts in there and now shows like DNA, Justice as well as the likes of obviously White Hole and Dimension Jump are up there with my favourite Red Dwarfs. It is just so inherently clever and comical and the good news is I feel like this and I still have Dimension Jump and Meltdown to watch next. Dimension Jump is my father's favourite episode ever btw.