Red Dwarf Blu Rays

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by SweatyChimpBoy, Jan 30, 2018.

1. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

Why get involved then?

2. Pembers

Pembers Console Officer

Seems pretty clear to me, Anty asked how he was and he provided a source.

3. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Why shouldn't I?

4. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Console Officer

Well, no Blu Rays through my door yet, :-(
    I pre-ordered on Zavvi with release date delivery option, well now it says est. delivery so I don't expect them anytime soon (today) the order has not been updated to shipped either and I have not yet been charged or emailed. :-(

I hope everyone who pre ordered from other supplies has better results than me.

Still looking forward to the arrival though. :-)

5. darnall42

darnall42 Third Technician

Well my local Salisbury's had it in stock so i caved in and picked one up.Watching series one at the moment and the picture is a little on the soft side,not too much difference from the original dvd release (the menu is much better though ;-) )

6. dibbleysmeghead

dibbleysmeghead Second Technician

Mine landed from Amazon this morning and have watched the first three eps. The picture quality is decent so far, I'm so glad they didn't go down the over-sharpening and noise removal stuff. Resolution is improved which makes it a more natural fit for hd tv's. Wonder if the later series' (where they have access to the original masters, series V onwards I think) will be better? Still a crackin' boxset.

UltraDevotee likes this.
  7. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Catering Officer

Received my copy from Amazon this morning and obviously I cannot pass a total judgement on it after only watching the first episode, The End, so far but I would say while it is not a light years' leap forward for Red Dwarf series 1 in terms of picture quality I don't think it is as terrible as some people are making out on the early Amazon reviews either.

It's like a subtle improvement forward really as for the most part the episode was slightly sharper though disappointingly a few sections were still a bit blurry. I remember in the article about the blu-ray release on this website it was mentioned that there were problems getting some of the old broadcast tapes - perhaps this is the reason for these somewhat inferior parts of the episode.

The colour effect made on the picture is likely to be divisive as I actually find it a bit more vivid personally although I can see perhaps why some fans may not like it and may find it a bit more "washed out." But I personally thought it was rather effective.

The sound on the other hand is quite a step forward IMHO - I may have some hearing issues with myself now due to blocked ears but I found I can now hear everything the Dwarfers are saying whereas on the DVD/VHS release some of it was muffled and indiscernable as to what the dialogue was on a few occasions.

But anyway, are other Dwarfers going to like it? Well the response on Amazon has been pretty poor so far and maybe the fact that I was expecting something completely terrible maybe moderated my opinion a bit. It isn't a massive difference, but I do think it is a subtle improvement. At least, it is at a rather reasonable price so perhaps I would see that as a clincher in terms of whether you want to buy it.

But anyway, perhaps to expect a massive difference in picture quality really was unrealistic as after all this first episode that I have watched this afternoon was filmed over thirty years ago in the 1980s so how are you really going to enhance that really significantly.

Anyway, I have only watched one episode of the earliest series so I cannot pass a genuine judgement on it yet (how have these Amazon reviewers watched all 52 episodes in a matter of 2-3 days?) but I do think it is a slight improvement on what we already have though it looks like most others are hugely disappointed. Someone on Doug Naylor's twitter mentioned that series 2 looks better than series 1 (you would expect this anyway I suppose as it is slightly later on in the RD timeline but hopefully it is true) so hopefully as my Red Dwarf marathon watch gathers more momentum and reaches later series, I will be significantly more impressed!

But anyway, I have only watched one episode and I was fairly pleased so far so obviously I cannot judge it until I have watched the whole lot.

Another thing, while the box set's artwork and design could have been more traditional I don't think it is bad either and it is actually quite good.

Finally, at last my latest Dwarfathon has started and I have watched the first episode for the first time since a very "long, long, long range" over 3 and half years ago and it feels great like it may as well be Christmas again! A very good first episode as while the plots were just getting going the humour was supreme! Rating 8 out of 10.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
  8. UltraDevotee

Glad you are enjoying it. Although it is a more subtle improvement so far, I am fairly pleased. How anyway was it going to be a super difference with tapes from the late 80s? As long as you don't expect something revolutionary in terms of improvement it is quite good.

And like I said above how on Earth have these early Amazon reviewers watched all 52 episodes in just 2-3 days and even then they only managed to get the box set early because they pre-ordered and got it delivered before release?

Can't wait to watch the next episode while juggling it with seeing whether Doctor Who series 11 improves IMHO on a second watch (only 4 of series 11's episodes were up there with the best DW on first watch)? Apologies for going a bit off topic.

BTW, hope everyone else who pre-ordered gets their RD blu-ray box sets delivered soon.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
  9. kenny222

kenny222 Skutter

Cancel your Zavvi order. They've responded to my query and they've not even received the stock yet alone shipped it. I'm quite happy I had the chance to cancel it seeing all the reviews. I'll pick it up now when it's £20.

10. Chooky88

Chooky88 Third Technician

Thanks for the Tip on Zavi They say they are out of stock so I will keep an eye on it. My season 2 to 5 DVDs don't work anyway now so I'm still buying it I kept the 1 to 5 VHS sleeves in my collection. Love my Dwarf.

11. Asclepius

Asclepius Deck Sergeant

12. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Console Officer

Cheers for the info Kenny, Now Cancelled from Zavvi and re ordered from Tax evading Amazon.

13. UltraDevotee

Another thing I would like to add is I notice there has been some fuss about the 4:3 aspect ratio of the blu-ray set. Well not only is that definitely the right size as otherwise in 16:9 parts of the picture would be lost and it would be stretched, the blu-ray set is superior for me to the old DVDs because I was always too lazy previously to change the settings on my TV and blu-ray player for the DVDs to display in 4:3 as it was filmed. Now that it shows in 4:3 automatically it looks obviously sharper anyway and the right perspective. Some people have said it doesn’t fill the entire screen - well I much prefer it in its natural screen size and even then on my TV it is only small parts of the screen at the side really that aren’t filled up. The rest of the picture looks quite big.

Chooky88 likes this.
  14. UltraDevotee

Just watched Future Echoes just now and I think the Blu-ray version for this episode looked even better than the one for The End. There were virtually no scenes that were blurrier so perhaps the source for this second episode was superior. The colours of the picture were enhanced too. As for the sound, even with my hearing issue I could listen to all the lines perfectly.

I know its only 2 episodes I have watched but now I am even more convinced as to the quality of this blu-ray release. I do think it is now somewhat more better than the DVD versions.

I think the problem is fans - and it was really bigged up in promotion - were really expecting a spectacular transformation and that was unrealistic given the fact that the first few series were recorded onto tape anyway. It isn't a revolutionary improvement of series 1 but for me it is quite a fair enhancement and definitely the best these first two episodes of series 1 have ever looked.

In regards to the promotion, I don't blame it for being bigged up even though some people were expecting an absolutely colossal transformation and it has failed to meet their expectations. After all, it has to be advertised well for it to sell. I feel a bit sorry for Doug and co actually due to all the criticism because certainly for me I think it is the best it is ever going to look. Tough critics eh.

Obviously, I will have to watch the other four episodes of series 1 to see if they match up to Future Echoes' quality but so far so good.

Another thing is - unlike others have said - the box is quite good looking once it grows on you and sturdy enough and the menus - even though I didn't mind the retro computer game look of the entrances into Red Dwarf/Starbug on the original DVD releases - are better now.

Maybe others who are yet to receive their copies won't agree with me on the picture enhancement of the Blu-rays but now that I have watched the second episode I am more convinced now. And for the price - I even got my cost reduced further due to the Amazon pre-order price guarantee - it should hopefully be to other people worth it.

Just one other thing, I am watching on a TV I bought in late 2010 that's 42 inch (my Blu-ray home cinema was bought just under 2 years ago) - if I can see some improvement in the picture on that then imagine what it will look to others with even more modern and slightly bigger TVs.

Additionally, if the Blu-ray versions were "too good" i.e. too sharp or adjusted, it wouldn't look like, feel like and have the charm of what those early series of RD were.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
    Chooky88 likes this.
  15. UltraDevotee

As for the episode Future Echoes, it is simply for me the first excellent one amongst all the other very good ones of series 1. Exceptionally funny with a sci-fi concept that would pave the way for and start to show the hallmarks of the future RD. Rating - 9 out of 10.

Nice day so far and may the Red Dwarf marathon watch continue.

16. Nikki the Great

Nikki the Great Flight Co-Ordinator

That's great and all, but not everyone is local to Salisbury.

17. Asclepius

Asclepius Deck Sergeant

Are you going to do this for ALL the episodes?

18. UltraDevotee

No, don't worry about that - otherwise I would repeat the same thing over and over again probably wouldn't I? I only wrote something quite long again because I thought the Blu-ray version of the second episode was even better than the first.

Funnily enough though, in terms of the actual episodes themselves I remember in the "latest RD you've watched thread" a few of us all did reviews after each each one in a Dwarfathon back in 2015 in order. But don't worry I won't waffle on like that again...maybe just a line or a few lines if I feel like after watching each episode or certain episodes if I can be bothered.

The Dwarf marathon watch continues and I just really want to watch the shows now mostly. Happy New Red/Blu Dwarf Year and maybe if we are lucky and there is no more frustration Happy New Red Dwarf Year 2020 if the commission finally is announced sometime this year! I am really enjoying the vintage Red Dwarfs so far but a definite date set for series 13 would really put the icing on the cake.

19. darnall42

darnall42 Third Technician

Sadly no,but Asda ,Morrisons and Tesco refuse to stock TV Blu rays and HMV are about to go under and are no longer stocking new releases :-(

20. Nikki the Great

Nikki the Great Flight Co-Ordinator

Does Salisbury have any of these shops?