Red Dwarf Blu Rays

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by SweatyChimpBoy, Jan 30, 2018.

1. Nikki the Great

Nikki the Great Flight Co-Ordinator

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: "ho ho ho"

sundayforsammy likes this.
  2. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Catering Officer

After watching the final 2 episodes of series 3 then I can definitely pass my opinion on the 3 replacement disc that it is indeed - as you would obviously expect - a lot better than the faulty ones. Surprise surprise!

The only possible issue is that the colour grade is slightly off in a few scenes but to be honest although I really love summer Dwarfing, watching the fixed series 3 episodes in the bright light of the height of summer can make things look darker and not as good too. Now that the evenings are getting slightly darker earlier, I found when I had another look at the episodes when it was past sunset that the colour grade problem was not so prominent an issue.

In conclusion, the colour grade issue might be slightly there but it is only a minor issue - only really noticeable in these bright summer days - and the replacement series 3 disc is 90% superior to the dated DVD now and finally makes 3 look decent on a modern larger TV but not too good which is the right way for it to have gone.

Out of interest, all the fixed series 3 upscales were very strong for three decade old tape but the best episodes were Backwards and The Last Day IMHO.

3. UltraDevotee

Timeslides and The Last Day I enjoyed even more than back in February - maybe because it obviously looks a lot better now I suppose. I found series 3 such a pleasure that perhaps it has now gone definitely back into third place in my top 3 Red Dwarf series ever after being tied with 4 in that position. Still 4 is probably as brilliant but 3 has those famous first 3 episodes and the second 3 are like I said previously, really close behind. That 1989 run was fantastic and it is great that it now looks the part so thanks once again BBC etc.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
  4. UltraDevotee

I have watched 3 episodes of series 5 so far (and they are still fine just in case you are like me and unrealistically worried that problems would have been introduced with those episodes on the replacement series 5 disc (Don't know why I thought that)) and so obviously the rectified 2nd half comes next.

Of the first 3, I've got to say this time around The Inquisitor was my favourite to re-encounter and for some unexplained reason I enjoyed it even more than back in February. The Inquisitor is one of the finest RD episodes ever, it is just there is a giant 5-10 episodes that somehow are even more sensational and rank above. But yes with its heavy sci-fi story that is sophisticated yet not convoluted it is a joy to re-watch. In series 5/6 Rob and Doug got the compromise between drama and comedy spot on, whereas in some of 7 there was too much emphasis on the former. There is so much clever sci-fi and even some drama, yet at the same time there are so many funny lines, gags and one-liners which is a real skill. Even though Juliet May had issues when she worked as director of Red Dwarf in series 5, it looks rather amazing (I think she might have directed The Inquisitor or some of it but I am not sure). Whatever, The Inquisitor has always been one of my favourite episodes of Red Dwarf and remains so!

5. dvd3500

dvd3500 Supply Officer

My Blu Rays arrived today! YIPPEE!!
    So no chance of being charged customs fees because of some imagined issues with the EU!
    Enjoy!
    So long and l thanks for all the discs!

6. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

One down two to go

7. dvd3500

dvd3500 Supply Officer

indeed

8. Kenneth Williams Diary

Kenneth Williams Diary Third Technician

20th June 1977
    Eade telephoned and said 'They want you to play Sir Henry after all, they can't get Hawtrey.'

9. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I think you should keep this Kenneth Williams' diary nonsense in the Garbage Pod.

10. dvd3500

dvd3500 Supply Officer

Indeed

11. Nikki the Great

Woah....did you just burn @Bluey?

@Bluey are you gonna take this sass?

12. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Who is this @dvd3500 person anyway?

Nikki the Great and Ant E like this.
  13. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

Two down, one to go

14. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

What is this a reference to (if anything)?

15. dvd3500

dvd3500 Supply Officer

Indeed

Ant E likes this.
  16. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

@dvd3500, who or what are you?

17. Nikki the Great

18. dvd3500

dvd3500 Supply Officer

19. Bluey