Red Dwarf Blu Rays

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by SweatyChimpBoy, Jan 30, 2018.

1. Asclepius

Asclepius Deck Sergeant

Congratulations! What was on the image you posted? I can't see it for some reason.

2. Ricc Simon

Ricc Simon Skutter

Oh, it was nothing too exciting, just a pic of the replacement discs sitting on my keyboard. I wonder why it didn't load for you. >:-(

3. Nikki the Great

Nikki the Great Flight Co-Ordinator

:sulk:

4. TongueTiedMateyBoy

TongueTiedMateyBoy Third Technician

Hopefully mine will show up this week n'all.

5. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

Good lord this is an honour! We’ve been waiting for you for a while @Ricc Simon ! Haven’t you been getting my messages?!!! :crying:

Nikki the Great likes this.
  6. Clarence

Clarence First Technician

My replacement discs have arrived today.

7. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Console Officer

WooHoo, Postman just put some new DVD's through my letterbox just now and happy to say they are the replacement Blu Rays. Pretty crap way to send them though 2 disks in a paper sleeve in a small very unpadded envelope. Still they look like they survived the post.
    Smashing. Now off to try Series 3.

UltraDevotee likes this.
  8. Ricc Simon

Ricc Simon Skutter

Erm....what messages? :eek:

I didn't realise I was being so eagerly watched! :scared:

9. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Be careful. I think @Ant E might be stalking you.

10. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Catering Officer

Yes, I too got mine in the post this morning and this has made me a very happy and satisfied Dwarfer again now. I carefully made sure I did not get the bad discs mixed up with the replacement ones when I swapped them over in the box set and then played Series 3's Backwards...

...and I have got to - I suppose obviously - say that the picture quality is so much better. The blur is gone and now series 3 looks sharper and more suited to today's modern TVs than those old DVD versions but not "too good" if you know what I mean which is the right thing. I will probably watch Marooned tonight if I have the time hopefully.

Anyway, although it took time I just must say thank you very much to the BBC for the good discs - as long as they got there in the end that is all that matters. Thank you once again to the webmaster for the reassuring update too at the end of the last month. I suppose anyway with there being a fault it has given me an excuse to re-watch series 3 and 5 much faster than I usually do so maybe it has worked out to an advantage for me as I usually leave it 3 years.

Oh well, my mini-Dwarfathon of series 3 and 5 has begun now and it is fun to view RD in the summer too IMHO as my complete one was in the winter months. I really enjoyed Backwards - it may have a couple of logical issues and be a slightly dated effect now but they have made it go such a long way! Backwards still remains to this day one of the top Dwarfs IMHO and it was great to start with it. I know others might have mentioned this before too but it really showed me how if you were going to introduce someone to the world of RD then Backwards - like Psirens - might well be the best place to start. It is not like I do not love series 1 and 2 (2 is one of my top 5 series ever) but it is like a fresh start for the Dwarfers with markedly superior production values. As it ushers in a new era with RD in peak form, Backwards is a great place to begin IMHO.

sundayforsammy likes this.
  11. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

That’s rich coming from binocular bill

12. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I stalk the stalkers.

13. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

A church with a steeple? Admit it, you’re just nosy and bossy

14. Cloud

Cloud Flight Co-Ordinator

15. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Those are actually are my two finest qualities.

16. McCloud

McCloud Second Technician

Mine arrived after them telling me I wasn't viable because I didn't have a receipt. Lovely buggers.

17. UltraDevotee

Well I’ve watched Marooned, Polymorph and Bodyswap now and I have to say I am very satisfied with the 1st replacement disc so far.

One thing I would agree with that a fan tweeted on Doug’s twitter account is the colour grade is slightly off in a few places. The Officer’s Quarters has always looked rather bright obviously as it is light coloured so it does not matter here, but in the duller sets like Starbug and duller objects like Rimmer’s iconic green uniform they do look a bit too dark in a few scenes so far.

But still the episodes that I have watched on my downstairs TV with a more modern Blu-ray player tend to look better so maybe it could be related to that, this slight dinginess. Or maybe if other people have experienced it too, it could just be that was the best tape they could work with.

But anyway, overall I now think series 3 looks obviously a lot better than the faulty up scales - there is a greater sharpness and no blurring now and when you think these tapes are from 30 years ago then I think a decent job has been done finally and this is probably the best it will ever get. Despite the slight colour issue, it does indeed look “nice” and I would 90% agree with Doug’s old tweet above that it is a significant improvement on the ancient DVD versions and am once again very happy with the BBC for doing this.

sundayforsammy likes this.
  18. UltraDevotee

As for the episodes themselves then I am actually enjoying them possibly even more than back in January/February. The first three episodes of 3 are the most iconic but the second half is very, very close behind IMHO. As I am enjoying them perhaps even more, then my next total Dwarfathon will not be 3 years 8 months again especially as I won’t be having to wait for the Blu-rays to be released in the 1st place anyway.

19. dvd3500

dvd3500 Supply Officer

They told me I will have to wait.... :-(

20. Mike Rolls

Mike Rolls Third Technician

Maybe you should change your name from "DVD3500" to "BLURAY3500" and they will be more inclined to listen! ho ho ho

dvd3500 and Nikki the Great like this.