Red Dwarf Blu Rays

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by SweatyChimpBoy, Jan 30, 2018.

1. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Catering Officer

Don’t blame you.

2. Cloud

Cloud Flight Co-Ordinator

I accidentally took a wee on series 2 of the blu ray set. Anyone want to trade me for a non wee soaked copy?

Asclepius and Nikki the Great like this.
  3. Nikki the Great

Nikki the Great Flight Co-Ordinator

Was it in your pants when you went on stage?

4. Cloud

The Red Dwarf Blu Ray is always in my pants

Nikki the Great likes this.
  5. UltraDevotee

This morning - to be fair to the BBC - I got a reply finally as to where the replacement discs were up to. But as I was expecting as there was no fast reply this time, it was not good news. They stated that they are "awaiting an updated timeframe for when the discs will be ready to ship."

So I suppose to be fair this time they have not said it will be "4 weeks away" again and also they did apologise for the further delay but I take from that message that it is basically an indefinite time as to when the discs will finally be ready. So in other words I am not expecting anything anytime soon but like I said at least there is more honesty this time.

My latest Dwarfathon - with the original dodgy series 3/5 Blu-rays - started on the 14th January this year (i.e. the box set's release date) and finished on the 14th March. Well I said I would embark on another marathon Dwarf watch in 2 and a half years from that January date (I like to keep it fairly fresh and re-discover it) - at this rate the replacement discs won't even be ready for 2021!

But anyway, let's keep slightly positive and hope for something soon but if they haven't even got a timescale for when they are ready it almost feels like it might never happen.

Just have to keep being patient and hope this issue is resolved asap because at the moment although the rest of the box set is the best it can be considering the source material is tape, at the moment this is a botched Blu-ray release which is a shame.

6. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Console Officer

Thanks @UltraDevotee . Yeah it is dragging on a bit now, thinking about it though I can't see this being a priority as the entire 8 series' of Blu rays and extras was only £38 and maybe many customers didn't even notice or complain about it so I can understand why they might be dragging their feet a bit.

I think I will probably now start on Series 1 and watch them all through, apart from the dodgy discs I'm sure I will enjoy the better quality of the other discs.

guybrush likes this.
  7. UltraDevotee

I think that is a wise decision of yours to start your Dwarfathon now...if there are replacement discs eventually it doesn't look like they will be anytime imminent and the discs that are fine should hopefully be as rewarding as they were to me for you to watch. Basically and generally, some episodes are a genuine improvement and some a lesser improvement but like I said previously because it was old tape they had to work with then apart from series 3 and half of 5 they have done a reasonable job IMHO, though some fans were not satisfied with even the correctly produced ones.

Possibly the fans who are not massive ones maybe would not be bothered so much by the decline in quality for 3 and half of 5 and like you said it was a cheap price overall. I sort of maybe am not really expecting anything to be offered now (no timescale does not sound good) and maybe not enough fans were interested in replacements. But still though perhaps the BBC will have to get the next manufacturing run of the box set right and maybe there will be replacement discs eventually, like they did for a classic Doctor Who I read.

Bottom line, I am not expecting anything too much as it is taking so long but if I did get replacement discs in a few months then it would be a nice surprise after all the delays and even though my Dwarfathon ended on 14th March even if it was e.g. the Autumn that replacement discs were provided - as corrected discs were originally offered - then I would still embark on a mini-Dwarfathon of the two currently affected series.

If these replacement discs never materialise it is not like the end of the world or anything but I just feel that really although the rest of the episodes are acceptably good Blu-ray versions the box set is still a bit (somewhat) botched and will need remedying for future production runs.

Still just have to wait and see what happens and I will have to enjoy other things for now (might watch series 1 of the Car Share tomorrow).

Enjoy your Dwarfathon btw and don't bother waiting any longer and if you go through all Dave material also in order then even better.

8. guybrush

guybrush Third Technician

This has been very badly handled by Grant Naylor. Mine cost me shy of fifty pounds and I’ve barley watched them as the quality is so poor.

Amazon won’t refund me because it’s over 30 days

9. UltraDevotee

I take it you are not even happy with the non-faulty episodes? IMHO I feel that the ones that have been produced successfully - while not spectacular transfers to Blu-ray in some cases - are satisfactory upscales given that the early series are between 31 and 26 years old and originally filmed on tape. Blu-ray versions of the classic series were requested for years so Doug was damned if he didn't and damned if he did in this case as even the correctly produced episodes some people have not been happy with. They are not all revolutionary "glorious" transfers so I can see why you might not be keen though I do disagree given that those "good" episodes are probably the best really they can be.

What really I have to say is very badly handled is obvious: this business about replacement discs. Series 3 and the second half of series 5's episodes are not right and they offered 3 months ago to replace the faulty discs for the fans who requested them and they still do not even have a timescale for when they are ready to ship.

True at least they did reply to me a day later eventually, apologised and they were more honest but (I made a few too many allowances yesterday) they replaced the discs for a faulty classic Dr Who Blu-ray so they need to do it for and get a move on with those new ones for this Red Dwarf box set. It was a reasonable price for all those discs but £38 or more is still a bit of a cost for some people and the product should be totally satisfactory anyway.

Anyway, surely they would have to get the discs right for future manufacture so they need to hurry up with those discs.

The other 43 episodes are reasonably good transfers considering, but series 3 and the second half of series 5 simply does not look not right and they include some of Red Dwarf's finest ever episodes like Back to Reality (arguably the best), Quarantine, Polymorph, Backwards and Marooned amongst others.

Bottom line, as 3 months has passed now I am not sure what to expect but really the BBC made the offer and should honour it so I hope even if it takes another 2/3 months that they will eventually be dispatched. Even if it does take another few months but the replacements are eventually delivered I will be definitely satisfied with the BBC for doing this but until that happens this has indeed been badly handled so far, unfortunately.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    guybrush likes this.
  10. guybrush

I just didn’t really see any difference and then the faulty bits just made it worse

11. Clarence

Clarence First Technician

Why are they still being advertised with a link on this sites homepage when they are clearly faulty?

12. guybrush

Agree. Unless there’s a fixed batch now? But surely they should go to the people whom already have the faulty ones?
    Does Doug or Rob ever come on here?

UltraDevotee and Nikki the Great like this.
  13. Cloud

While watching my series IV Blu Ray I had ordered a curry from the Indian. This upset my stomach a little and I ended up pooing in my dungarees. My mate Baz just happened to come by later that day and see my Poo stained Dungarees. I can only blame the Series IV Blu Ray for this. My Mates Baz, Percy, Wiggly John, and Fergal all have been calling me "poo poo dungarees" for weeks now.

I have tweeted Doug asking for him to apologise for this but he wont.

14. Nikki the Great

Wondering if @Seb will answer these questions (along with answering whether or not he banned @Ant E) being the site mod.

Although it it's Doug you're looking for, well he goes by the name @Bluey on here.

Oh hi Poo Poo Dungarees, how's it going?

15. Cloud

Oh no its catching on! I demand a full apology from @Bluey for the Blu Rays causing me to soil my dungarees

16. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

Banned??? Moi?

17. Nikki the Great

Oh phew!
    Well your posts disappeared (and @Seb was ignoring my questions :sulk:). I was this close to staging a revolt.

Ant E likes this.
  18. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

No no all fine! Was just busy with work.
    Also was aware I annoyed someone off the forum which made me think about my past behaviours! :crying:

Consider me Ant 2.0

An upgrade if you will....

I apologise to everyone I’ve ever offended (apart from @Bluey @neilold and deep space whatever he was called)!!!

Cloud and Nikki the Great like this.
  19. Nikki the Great

Anyway, we're going wildly off topic now. Back to sorting out these poor souls blu rays and @Cloud's soiled dungarees. @Seb, what do you intend to do about these? :sulk:

20. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

I bought these and haven’t even watched them yet. What’s the matter with them?

Can’t be bothered to read all of this.

Give me three bullet points on this matter @Clarence please