Promised land Bluray

Discussion in 'RED DWARF: THE PROMISED LAND' started by bilbobagenz, Apr 9, 2020.

1. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

Nikki the Great likes this.
  2. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

3. Nikki the Great

Nikki the Great Flight Co-Ordinator

Cos @Pendo got in and shut the door on everyone else (whilst crying).

4. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

He was in tears?!!!

5. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

What was he crying about?

6. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

He was in tears

7. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Why was he in tears?

8. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

Cos he’s a wedding cake

9. Nikki the Great

Remember BOD freaking out over that willy cake?

Ant E likes this.
  10. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I remember the willy cake photograph. It didn't look very appetising, did it?

Nikki the Great and Ant E like this.
  11. Nikki the Great

It was especially for you

12. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Did he actually bake it in my honour? I'd like to think that he did.

13. Nikki the Great

He definitely did. I wonder if he ate it or smashed it in a rage

14. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

He should have sent it to me just so I could have smashed it in a rage.

15. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Supply Officer

I know this is a few days on now from Sunday 5th July's official chart, but The Promised Land was still in the top 100 Blu-rays sold of that previous week and in the TV chart it had actually gone up from 8 to no.7.

Although I am surprised a bit because the Amazon chart until Monday this week had The Promised Land DVD (i.e. higher than the Blu-ray unlike the official chart) amongst the top 60 or so, I still think for it to actually increase in position from no.8 to 7 on the TV physical releases chart is actually not too bad and quite good 5 weeks on from its release.

It had a high TV rating so let's hope it keeps selling some more copies to give even further weight to the argument for more RD (though that TV audience figure has probably already got it in the bag now with the only thing preventing more RD being the Covid pandemic and cast health). Anyway, I think this might be a reasonable result for The Promised Land DVD/Blu-ray so far. I will try and watch it one more time for now in about 3-4 weeks.

Ant E and dvd3500 like this.
  16. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

@UltraDevotee - what are your thoughts on @douglas not having an ending for it? He has openly said he doesn't want it to end with them dying or going back to earth or something. Is this a mistake in your critic eyes?

17. UltraDevotee

TBH, RD is in its twilight years now and so we have to accept that the final ever episode is not a massively long time away (hopefully we will get at least another 2 specials though after the success of the effective long-form The Promised Land). I probably agree with Doug that a proper finale may not be a sound idea - it would probably be very difficult for him to pull off one that was massively appreciated and satisfied all the fans. A conclusion with all the Dwarfers dead is even more miserable than what we used to see when Only the Good... was seemingly the last RD show. I think Doug has learnt from that in not wanting a real full stop to RD because it was so notoriously depressing and perplexing and I used to dread getting to it in my pre-2009 Dwarfathons because it was just so horribly bad a RD finish. (Though Only the Good... has grown on me a bit with hindsight that it was not the true last outing and admittedly with Lister, The Cat, Kryten and Kochanski all in the mirror universe there was always the potential for them to return somehow (humorously unexplained to this day obviously) in the future as has happened with Dave).

Ultimately unless Doug has a massive brainwave for a RD finale I would rather there be a last ever episode that had an open ending but with a feeling of finality and coming full circle like The Beginning and Skipper had. That would probably work out best though obviously it is none of my business really.

sundayforsammy likes this.
  18. UltraDevotee

On Sunday 12th July The Promised Land DVD/Blu-ray sales were at no. 15 on the TV chart. This is a fall of 8 places but in its 6th week it is sticking around a bit so if it can stay in this TV chart for at least 10 weeks that won't be too bad. Let's hope it shifts a few more copies over the coming month, maybe more time if lucky. Looking forward to watching it again in August sometime - it may not be of the outrageously good standard of series 2-6 but it is definitely quality RD (I will watch the Extended series 7 and 8 episodes later this month too)!

19. UltraDevotee

Last Sunday (19th) The Promised Land only fell by one place to 16 in terms of TV physical format sales. So although it is out of the top 100 Blu-ray and DVD sales for all genres it is still shifting a few more copies now into its 7th week on the TV chart. If it could get to 10 weeks that would be fairly good.

Have to see...and tonight I am really looking forward to the Liverpool FC Premier League trophy presentation and will party (at home of course) into the night! And then in a couple of days I will begin the last part of this year's Dwarfathon by watching the Xtended series 7 and 8 episodes. So although it has clearly been a horrible year for all there has been at least for me personally RD and Liverpool FC, which have provided a bit of joy and light in really tough times. So thanks very much to them - Red Dwarf is the best TV programme of all time and Liverpool are also World champions in addition to being the top team in England (IMHO the most difficult league to win).

20. Cloud

Cloud Flight Co-Ordinator

What on Earth is all this Gibberish