Poppy Fasism?

Discussion in 'THE AIGBURTH ARMS' started by Pembers, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Pembers

Pembers Console Officer

When did the wearing of a poppy become such a volatile issue? Why can’t people simply wear one if they want to and let others make their own choice?

2. neilold

neilold Flight Co-Ordinator

For a few years some people have been against it, because they claim the red represents a shedding of blood. That's why they wear white ones

3. Nikki the Great

Nikki the Great Flight Co-Ordinator

4. Pembers

Pembers Console Officer

I fully support their cause in as much as I understand it and wish them well. Thanks for posting the article, interesting read. I have a few reservations such as ‘the best way to remember them is to stop sending them in the first place’ which seems a bit reductive.

My other reservation about White Poppies is they aren’t linked to a single charity and from what I can tell aren’t intended (always at least) to raise funds for returning/injured soldiers and their families. To distribute them at the same time as Red Poppies almost seems like opposition to that. Or at the very least could unwittingly act as such.

5. neilold

neilold Flight Co-Ordinator

I prefer just red ones. I understand the reasoning, but I see it as more of a commemoration of the blood of the dead. I don't think anybody is celebrating bloodshed either way, I always wear mine with pride in remembrance of those heroes

6. Curryman

Curryman Deck Sergeant

I've always worn a poppy for Armistice. It's not a celebration, but a remembrance. Shame on anyone trying to usurp this practice for any other purpose no matter how well intended.

7. Nikki the Great

Nikki the Great Flight Co-Ordinator

I'll just leave this here

[​IMG]

Underdunn likes this.