Oakland Raiders in London 2019?

Discussion in 'THE AIGBURTH ARMS' started by BigOleDummy, Dec 23, 2018.

1. BigOleDummy

BigOleDummy Console Officer

The big, no huge news, here is that the Oakland Raiders are in negotiations to play all their "home" games in London for the 2019 season. They are leaving Oakland for sure for Las Vegas in 2020. Its NOT an amicable departure either. The city of Oakland is suing them for multiple reasons, breach of contract not the least of them. So the owners have vowed to not play their "last" season there. My question is …….. what's the news from there? Is this being talked about in the press? Where exactly is Northumberland Park and what is its capacity? They, the Raiders, suck this year and will most likely suck next year too as they are rebuilding with a new coach. If this turns out to be true, them moving there for all their "home" games, will any of you be going to see them?

2. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Console Officer

What a ridiculous idea, their fans won't be able to attend home games and their opponents will have to fly to England to play. Just stupidity. or am I being stupid and there a place in the USA that is called London ???

3. Pembers

Pembers Console Officer

I suspect Northumberland Park is the name they are using for the as yet unfinished Totten*ham Hotspur new stadium. It’s capacity is 62,000 and never will you see a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

It hasn’t made much of a splash here, that’s the first I’ve heard of it.

4. neilold

neilold Science Officer

I give you credit bod. You constantly try to get us all interested in American football, even though we all hate it on here and have told you on numerous occasions. Still, you insist on perceivering, despite that minor detail, and for that I give you credit

5. BigOleDummy

Thanks, its been on the two of the Sports news shows today and its been the first I've heard of it. (Sunday is our main football day here.)

Was just asking if you guys had heard anything about this. And you don't know what you're missing btw. There's actual excitement in American football ;-)

6. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Our media mostly ignore American football because it's just not part of English culture. It's not played in schools, you never see people playing it in the parks, it doesn't come up in people's conversations, and its most famous players are complete unknowns (the only American football player 99% of English people can name is OJ Simpson - and that's because of his non-football activities).

7. BigOleDummy

Well tbh, I figured as much. But to have a team, any team from any sport, from another country use YOUR facilities as a "home" base I thought might be a little newsworthy. Its not been reported widespread here either to be frank, only on the football pre-shows and presented as "leaked secret negotiations". To me that news would be akin to ….oh... say Manchester City suddenly saying its going to play its home games at Atlanta United FC's stadium here in Georgia. (We DO have professional soccer here)

Was just wondering if anything had made the news over there. I know American Football isn't near as popular there as it is here.

8. neilold

neilold Science Officer

I do know what I'm missing. It got very big with kids over here in the eighties. Players like the fridge and dan marino. It was on telly every week and I used to occasionally watch it. I still don't like it mind

9. sundayforsammy

Anyhow we have the real thing here, it's called Rugby and far more entertaining than that American thing that has more off the ball play time than on the ball. Oh and it is not FOOTBALL, the clue is in the word. :lol::picard:

Why don't Oakland Raiders find a temp stadium in USA while they wait for the 2020 move. It makes more sense than moving to England for the season, flying back and forth every week for games is crazy, just crazy I say.

10. BigOleDummy

I totally agree with you about moving there for the season. The way it was explained was they would play 4 "home" games there, come back for 4 "away" games, then back to London for 4 more "home" games and then finish the season here with 4 "away" games. Seems unnecessarily complicated to me. But then 1. Mr. Davis (the owner of the team) is famously cantankerous and 2. the NFL has been trying to expand into the European market for a long time. Sooooo…. who knows?

lol, I almost agree with you about the Rugby. Its exciting to watch and tbh I'm surprised it hasn't caught on here more than it has. My South African friends played it all the time so I HAVE watched a lot of games. Too old to play even then.

11. BigOleDummy

Hate to keep beating a dead horse but both the play by play announcer and the football analyst on Monday Night Football mentioned this tonight. As a long shot for sure but still, it seems to be in play. Amazing.

12. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

[​IMG]

Ant E and BigOleDummy like this.
  13. BigOleDummy

:lol::lol::lol:

14. sundayforsammy

I suppose that makes more sense logistically (do they only play 16 games in one season)? it makes sense for trying to spread the game over to this side of the pond although I doubt we will have much if any interest in NFL other than a short novelty interest for some.