Not so terrible???

Discussion in 'THE AIGBURTH ARMS' started by neilold, Nov 7, 2018.

1. neilold

neilold Flight Co-Ordinator

The poppy fascism thread got me thinking. Many poppies got rememberance day are made by prisoners who earn ten pounds a week for it.

There is a terrific multi million pound massive industry in this country that goes unmetioned. It really makes me angry. The media can't wait to tell everyone how much it costs to house prisoners, but conveniently forget to mention the hundreds of millions of pounds saved in cheap exploiitation labour.

I'm not saying they should get minimum wage, but I think half that is more than reasonable. Did veterans die for the prison
    population to be exploited???

Opinions????

2. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Out of interest, what items are available for prisoners to buy? From watching prison documentaries I think it's mostly snacks and stuff, isn't it? Is it true that you can also buy newspapers?

3. neilold

Yes, you can order a newspaper for the following day, and each wing gets a daily allotment of free newspapers to , that are distributed according to cell numbers numerically. So Monday, cells 1 to 10 get free newspapers, Tuesday, 10-20, and so on and so on, in a continuous loop.

You get a canteen sheet twice each week with a list of items you can buy. Mainly food, but also tobacco, toiletries and ciggies, phone credit to use on the prison phone, seasonal cards, at Xmas and for birthdays. You can also order a few items from a catalogue, that are electric items. Toaster, stereos, and kettles.

4. neilold

I should also add that you pay for anything you order, none of it is free. It is also the same price as it is in shops, there's no prison discount because you only earn 10-20 pounds a week.

5. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

How many hours per week do you have to work to earn the full amount of £10-£20?

6. neilold

30 odd, or you can go on the education wing which is the same hours. Only you learn maths, English and a topic of your choice, I studied Stalin

7. Asclepius

Asclepius Deck Sergeant

I forgot. Why was you in prison?

Nikki the Great and Ant E like this.
  8. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

For spamming the board with endless Mumfie threads. He got six mumfs.

Asclepius, Nikki the Great and Ant E like this.
  9. neilold

Ha, I like that, genuinely made me smile Bluey:-) for wounding asclepius

10. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

11. neilold

No, ant

12. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

You’re ignoring me now? Cool.

Nikki the Great likes this.
  13. neilold

Find your own avatar

14. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Console Officer

Bear in mind prison inmates aren't charged for things like rent, utilities, council tax, toiletries or food. It would be very easy to pay prisoners minimum wage for those who can get work, then bill them appropriately and they're if anything worse off since many could end up being refused meals and literally starving because they can't earn enough money to pay for the basics.

15. neilold

I accept that prisoners get a lot of things free. It's arguable that they should pay for their own punishment regime mind. I just find the whole industry making millions of pounds off prisoners, while on the other hand rarely mentioning that fact, while consistently mentioning the fact that it costs so much to house a prisoner, very unpalletable.