No more heroes???.

Discussion in 'THE AIGBURTH ARMS' started by neilold, Sep 2, 2019.

1. neilold

neilold Science Officer

Shaddap

2. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

Currently awaiting a film review from @hubbard

Nikki the Great likes this.
  3. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Me too. It's been too long since he posted one on the forum.

4. Nikki the Great

Nikki the Great Flight Co-Ordinator

Which was your favourite @hubbard review?

5. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Probably the one about Coming To America. I never knew it was set in the same universe as Trading Places until Hubbs pointed it out.

6. neilold

neilold Science Officer

S you never saw the scene with the two vagrants who Eddie Murphy gave the money to???

7. Asclepius

Asclepius Deck Sergeant

Well, I tried to reply to neilold thread seriously and no response came. How rude. :sulk:

8. Nikki the Great

Please review @hubbard's review.
    He ignores anyone he knows can get the better of him. He can only handle replying to people he can (badly) attempt to insult or "I know you are but what am I?" at :lol:

Ant E and Asclepius like this.
  9. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I've never actually seen Coming to America. But Trading Places I've seen many times and I had no idea that it was set in the same universe as Coming to America.

10. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Hubbard's review was informative and entertaining. I've never seen Coming to America or have any desire to do so, but Hubbard's review managed to keep my interest, which is not an easy thing considering I wasn't interested in the film he was discussing.

8/10

Asclepius likes this.
  11. neilold

neilold Science Officer

Sorry about that, must have slipped by me. But I agree, heroes are still around. My point is that the internet scrutinises them a lot more. This is not necessarily a bad thing, but the age of accepting them as heroic, on face value, has passed

12. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

Why are you ignoring @Nikki the Great ?

13. Nikki the Great

A combination of recently joining incel and being painfully aware that he's a lot less intelligent than me. If only he realised it was true of every other member as well, he might just shut up forever.

14. BozBoo

BozBoo Deck Sergeant

I'm looking forward to Coming to America 2.

Not sure why though.

15. Asclepius

Asclepius Deck Sergeant

OK

16. Asclepius

Asclepius Deck Sergeant

You can't make review of @hubbard's review so short.

17. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

If I make my review as long as his review I'll still be typing this time tomorrow.

18. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Console Officer

I actually think the problem is the opposite. I think modern media and social media in particular has lionised some frankly completely inappropriate individuals. At one end of the scale you have the likes of Jade Goody and Joey Essex who to me epitomise the way we currently seem to elevate mediocre or even idiotic individuals to celebrity status. Jade at least accomplished something with her unfortunate early death in highlighting the issue of cervical cancer. Equally though you have the likes of Tommy Robinson, a name I have no doubt Neil is familiar with, and who has been elevated to near heroic status in some circles. Definitely unwarranted in my opinion.

Do we have a modern Churchill? I don't really think we do, Boris might fancy himself as the next Winston but that's just not going to happen, if for no better reason than we just don't live in that world any more.

Gandhi? Again we just don't live in that world any more, the colonial era is long gone so the local boy turned national liberator went arguably with Mandela and even then the hands of the ANC weren't exactly clean. That has also arguably been poisoned by the likes of Amin and Mugabe.

As for Dickens, this is really where your analogy falls apart. I read Dickens for A-Level. It really is dismal crap. We have some remarkable and prolific authors these days who slot neatly into the popular literature category, Steven King, Clive Cussler, J.K. Rowling all spring instantly to mind and this is not by any stretch an exhaustive list. Whilst I've only read the latter two and I will say that I consider Rowling a very good young adult author but a terrible adult one, there are a whole host of authors around now that would give the likes of Charles Dickens or Thomas Hardy a good run for their money and who are not at all affected by modern social media, quite the opposite in fact.

For the most part the world has changed and the dynamic has changed. It's not killed off our heroes, it's just changed who we as a whole see as our heroes. Whether it's for the better or worse is up for debate.

Asclepius and Nikki the Great like this.
  19. neilold

neilold Science Officer

You present an interesting argument, and certainly food for thought

20. Underdunn

Underdunn Deck Sergeant

Then either engage with it on the same level or stop whinging about people not discussing things with you.

Nikki the Great and Simonr1978 like this.