New members (or the distinct lack of)

Discussion in 'THE AIGBURTH ARMS' started by Ant E, Jun 28, 2019.

1. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

i spoke to someone yesterday who said he tried to join the forum - about a year ago. Never got his username accepted so gave up.

Surely there must be something we can do to encourage people and let them join straight away?

We are in crisis!!!!!

Nikki the Great likes this.
  2. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

What do you want us to do about it, Ant?

3. Cloud

Cloud Flight Co-Ordinator

Nikki the Great and Pembers like this.
  4. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

1. new membership accepted or rejected within 48 hours
    2. A hard marketing campaign online and on tv advertising the forum!
    3. You to come in chat and/or stop butting in our affairs like some sort of mod dictator >:-(

Asclepius and Nikki the Great like this.
  5. Nikki the Great

Nikki the Great Flight Co-Ordinator

Agreed. I know this account approval thing was brought in cos of Reznor making stupid names like "Sebisfat" etc, but I think those days are long gone now?

Asclepius likes this.
  6. Sammer4Rimmer

Sammer4Rimmer Supply Officer

I'm pretty sure the former moderator stated that whatever was going on had nothing to do with Grant Naylor Productions.

7. Asclepius

Asclepius Deck Sergeant

Well, the approving bussiness is no problem, if it's done quickly. When you have to wait for an approval more than two days it makes you think you're not wanted on the forum. :sulk:

(I had to wait for a long time and it made me very upset. :sulk:)

8. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

My theory is as follows: the regulars are clearly seen as an embarrassment round here and someone is plotting to run the forum into the ground so we all disappear!!!!

Or... the oldbies will return and run us out of town

9. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Now that would be a great idea for getting thousands of newbies to join the forum. Are you going to foot the bill, Ant?

10. Nikki the Great

Yeah heard this from a few people in the last few years. Makes you wonder how many just never bothered coming back. @Seb, can something different be done about this?

11. Nikki the Great

Or they'll drive us to their site/groups and kill off the whole fanbase.

12. Underdunn

Underdunn Deck Sergeant

13. McCloud

McCloud Second Technician

If everybody deletes their account and then starts a new one we'd have LOADS of new members who post regularly.

14. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Console Officer

There is a sure fire way to boost new forum members, that would be for Doug to announce a New Series of RD. That would guarantee new members and also a reflux of old members never seen or heard of for years.

15. neilold

neilold Science Officer

I think Danny John Jules spoke about the new series this week. I didn't read the article though.

16. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

This is my vision

Nikki the Great and Underdunn like this.
  17. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

That was the case in the past. There must have been hundreds of newbies when Back To Earth went out - there were so many people online when the shows were airing that the servers were unable to cope and the forum went offline a few times. But not many new people joined after the most recent couple of seasons. People tend to use social media to discuss the show nowadays, which is the main reason why we get so few newbies these days.

18. Nikki the Great

We can't possibly get new members if their DAMN ACCOUNTS DON'T GET APPROVED FOR MONTHS :sulk:

19. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

How come you hear this from people but I don't? I've always said that if someone's account hasn't been approved in a timely fashion, or they think it's been wrongly rejected, they can contact me directly to sort it out. I'm curious as to who these people are who contact you about it but don't contact me?

The approval process is imperfect because there are so many spam accounts that flood it (which is the reason we have it in the first place). Accounts are more likely to get approved if their name is clearly not spam, if their address doesn't look like a disposable one, etc. - but it's always possible that they get wrongly flagged when spam accounts can look so similar to genuine ones. I always take a cautionary approach to approvals, to try and make sure that spam ones don't get on (we saw around December how quickly the damage can be done if a spam account gets through), with the knowledge that a rejection isn't an outright deletion and can always be reverted if someone comes to me to ask.

20. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

(I mean, look, I agree with you guys that it would be great if more in the way of proper actual regular new users were joining up. It really would. It's a sad fact, though, that forums just aren't what they were, and while people who have existing attachments to them still use them, it is rare for people to seek them out. I'll do what I can to try and get new users involved, and I'm sorry if the approval queue has gone a bit lax at times. I've made some updates to how the spam stuff is filtered so that more of that gets automatically trimmed out, reducing the time I have to spend going through the rest - but like I say, the best way to make sure that someone gets their account approved is to drop me a line, and I'll go looking for them and make sure they get through!)

Asclepius, sundayforsammy and McCloud like this.