My Thoughts - Rob Grant's Position......

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by JohnnyPlanet, Sep 21, 2012.

1. JohnnyPlanet

JohnnyPlanet Skutter

All this positivity surrounding Red Dwarf, especially in the last couple of weeks, got me thinking a little……….

I really feel for Rob Grant. Watching the debacles of Series 7, 8 and 9 must have been, in a strange way at least, quite reassuring for him. It would be only natural in those circumstances for it to cross his mind that he was the talent. He brought ‘the funny.’

Series 7, 8 and 9 must, for him, have been the equivalent of having a girl break up with you, and then having a sneaky look at her profile on Facebook a few months later, to find she’s put on a load of weight since the split and is miserable and unfulfilled. It must have felt pretty good.

BUT…..

Then what happened? The Strangerers series?!? It was a dog. A couple of novels – not bad, but not great either. Interestingly, the official line from Rob and Doug on the split was that Rob wanted to pursue other things. So if this is true, why is one of his novels an almost blatant rip-off of Red Dwarf – guys lost in space, etc……..?

And now what is he doing? Stand up comedy in some run-down, shabby bars, I believe. Teaching writing classes? Really?!?!? Come on!
    I really feel for the guy. Surely he must, at some points at least, regret the way things have turned out? Surely he has had some ideas percolating in his head over the last 15 years which would benefit the show?

So what I would like to see is this : Rob and Doug obviously don’t want to work together any more. But they don’t have to. Give Rob an episode from series 11 to write. Just one episode where what he says goes. He created this show we love so much. He deserves that much, surely?????

What do you think?

2. ghastly98

ghastly98 First Technician

Rob was not "the funny." Rob and Doug worked best with each other. Separate, they are less than together. It really bothers me when people give Doug crap about the lackluster quality of series 7, 8, and 9, especially series 9. Doug had trouble with series 7 and 8, he was adapting to writing with these new guys and not Rob. As for Series 9, that was constrained by budget, and given what he had, he did quite well. Rob is not the superior being who kept the meddlesome Doug in check and gave us the mighty Red Dwarf we know and love. They were a duo.

3. JohnnyPlanet

JohnnyPlanet Skutter

That's a fair point you've made..... but that's not really what I'm saying at all. I think you've gone off at a bit of a tangent, to be fair, and misunderstood my post. What I'm saying is, if Series 10 is a success, as the early reviews seem to suggest, its going to be a little bit harder for Rob to take. To use my earlier metaphor again - it'll be like seeing your ex-girlfriend going out with some rich, handsome, successful type! That's my point. He may have looked at series 7, 8 and 9 - and thought that it was struggling without him, that he had made a good decision.

But things haven't worked out well for him recently - his career is on the slide, while Doug's is coming good. So now that things in the Red Dwarf universe are back on the up, I'd like to see Rob having the opportunity to be involved again. And if Ron and Doug can't work together, just give Rob a standalone episode to himself.

(This post isn't about assessing the quality of series 7, 8 and 9, or laying blame - that is a side issue and misses the point).

4. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

Rob has to be willing, Doug has on many occasions since the time he left to recent interviews with regards to Red Dwarf X that he would love to word with Rob Grant again.....it's Rob Grant himself who says no.

5. Reznor

Reznor Guest

lol rob is a fool and if he ever realizes it which he prob wont.. depends on how stubborn he is :P
    dear robby suck it up then go out for a run and maybe cut out the carbs?? then sit down with doug and write pure gold :-)

6. Slainmonkey

It's his life, maybe he didn't find the show personally rewarding to him anymore....just because the direction he took wasn't the most successful one doesn't mean it wasn't the right one for him. Sure it would bee great if he came back but it doesn't seem likely.

7. Reznor

Reznor Guest

lol whaaa whaaa i don't like my legacy anymore whaaa
    PURE GOLD! :P

8. Slainmonkey

Sometimes people just wanna retire from things

9. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

I quite like some of the stuff Rob has done, and it's right that he should leave if he didn't want to be only associated with Red Dwarf, like when Christopher Ecclestone left Dr Who. I enjoyed the Strangerers and Dark Ages. Wasn't impressed by Colony - seemed to me to be trying to be like Red Dwarf, but far more immature and with the biggest deus ex machina at the end. Incompetence and Fat though, I thoroughly enjoyed. I always check for any new stuff he's done in book shops (not that I've seen any yet).

10. betelgeuse

betelgeuse Catering Officer

Well, personally - I think series 7 isn't that bad. Sure it's no way as good as the previous series by any means - but there are some great Kryten moments that I remember, some great concepts - and Doug at his best will make up for the lack of laughs with great scifi stories and concepts.
    I have to say I think series 8 is the worst series. RD sort of hit a low turning into Dad's Army in space, which ok isn't a bad thing, it's just not the edgy full-a-gags RD we know and love. Amongst the only saving graces are Cat's dance, and a reprisal for Holly, as well as 'Rimmer & Death'.
    BTE is no way as bad as some people say it was - the visuals were brilliant, the gags weren't great but again the plot was genius, it had that great RD manic quality in places - making up for the lack of laughs.

I feel the most positive about Red Dwarf X than I have for Red Dwarf in a while - From the looks of the new series it has taken the right route in being a sort of The Big Bang Theory sort of show, whilst keeping some aesthetics of BTE and some of the humour of the winning early 90s series. My only wish is that the lighting would be more edgy - and when my only gripe is something so trivial, hopes are high haha

I almost forgot the point I was going to make - wouldn't it be great if Rob Grant rejoined Doug in writing the next few (which will most probably be the last) Red Dwarf series after seeing that Red Dwarf X was good?!

11. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Here's why the "I want more on my tombstone than Red Dwarf" idea doesn't really cut it in my view and based on the interviews I've seen.

My understanding is that Rob and Doug already were "moving on" from Red Dwarf. They had a brand new series called The 10%ers commissioned and ready to be written when Rob walked out leaving Doug Naylor, to borrow a phrase from Dwarf, galloping up diarrhea drive without a saddle!
    From the DVD interview with Naylor this is clearly the big bone of contention and I suspect the reason why Doug can still be friendly with Rob Grant but certainly wouldn't rely on him as a writing partner anymore.

We all know people a little like this; friendly, amiable guys who unfortunately have a tendency to let you down when it matters.

As for Rob Grant's side of things, while his behaviour may have been unprofessional and damaging to his short term friendship with Doug it seems fairly apparent that it wasn't Red Dwarf he was looking to seperate himself from (or why would he have written his own Red Dwarf novel?) but instead the gestalt entity known as "Grant Naylor".

He evidently wanted creative freedom. He got it. The results are there to be judged. I don't feel sympathy for him because he made his own bed. I feel for Doug Naylor though, who seems to be frequently portrayed as the villain of the piece just for having the temerity to want to continue working with a creation he felt passionate about.

12. JohnnyPlanet

JohnnyPlanet Skutter

Good post, Bedford Falls.

The way the novels went is a good example - they wrote the first two together, and then each did another on his own.

So I don't see why they can't take the same approach with the series. Let Rob write an episode. That way, he still has total creative freedom. Plus with it just being one episode, its not exactly going to pull him away from all of these other things he wants to pursue.

13. Slainmonkey

Maybe he simply just doesn't care anymore

14. ori-STUDFARM

ori-STUDFARM Supply Officer

Alternatively, Rob may have wished only success for Red Dwarf after his departure, and the general negative reception it received may have deeply upset him. I'm sure he probably only wishes for nothing but success for any future Red Dwarf productions.

15. SoundableObject

SoundableObject Catering Officer

Or perhaps he doesn't read reviews of any Red Dwarf after Series VI.

16. bedfordfalls

IN his carpool episode he talks about having to "get very drunk" to watch Doug's Red Dwarf and compares it to "watching your ex-wife's video of her second honeymoon".

From that little summary then, I would gather he does find it painful to watch the show going on without him. It's a curious analogy because most people don't willfully divorce their wife and hand over the keys to the house only to torment themselves with thoughts of what she's up to without them.

Perhaps Rob's problem is that he found the new "women" in his life to never be as satisfying as his first love.

17. JohnnyPlanet

JohnnyPlanet Skutter

Woah! So Rob 'talks about having to "get very drunk" to watch Doug's Red Dwarf and compares it to "watching your ex-wife's video of her second honeymoon".'

Pretty strong words. That is VERY interesting and pretty insightful. Thanks for that info - I'd never read that before.

18. bedfordfalls

He was doing the interview with Robert Llewelyn so I don't think he wanted to state his opinion on the quality of Doug's RD, given that Robert was in it.

However, In a radio interview I posted here a while ago he also stated that he watched VII didn't like it and so didn't watch series 8 as a consequence.

I don't think he's ever commented on Back to Earth...but I do wonder if The Creator's dismissive "I grew weary of you" was a little shot at Rob Grant, especially as there were rumours (just rumours mind) that Rob was interested in killing off the original cast...but now we really are just getting into speculation.

19. Reznor

Reznor Guest

lol oh my i know who wrote the cast switch part in back to reality ;-)

20. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Console Officer

I think Rob is being taken out of context here really, I watched his carpool interview about a year or more ago and what he was saying in my opinion was this..

He was asked if he had watched any of the new Red Dwarf after his departure, He replied that he hadn't watched it and that
    "it would be like watching your ex-wife's video of her second honeymoon".' simple as that. You really have to watch the carpool interview to understand where he was coming from as it's all in the way it's said and just typing it out on a forum can be totally misinterpreted.