More ratings

Discussion in 'RED DWARF: THE PROMISED LAND' started by Asclepius, May 27, 2020.

1. Asclepius

Asclepius Console Officer

2. Cloud

Cloud Flight Co-Ordinator

What is Red Dwarf? What is Dave? What is seven years?

Asclepius likes this.
  3. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

That's good news. And hopefully will result in more of these specials being commissioned.

4. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

So you can whinge and moan about that one too? And then tell us “you’re planning to watch it for a second time” week in, week out without doing so like a broken bloody record!!

5. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Supply Officer

Yes, thanks for that info - that is indeed great news and if all being well the Covid pandemic ends one day then surely there will be some more new RD commissioned in the future eventually. I am probably expecting at least a 2 year gap tbh though.

In terms of whether it is a full series or another special, I have mixed feelings now. Ideally it would be nice to see one more full 6 episode series made, but if "just" 1-2 more specials are what is on offer next then I would accept that too. I honestly thought that series 11 and 12 were 9/10 each overall and excellent series (RD almost back to its vintage best), and if a full series 13 (I am not superstitious really but that is an unlucky number) dipped from that late RD career peak then that might prove disappointing. Also, the physical/mental demands on the cast as they get older - Danny as well as Robert appears to have been unwell recently - could prove too much with 6 episodes to film. Also, there is the budget that they get that has to be taken into account too.

But anyway, although I would like to see one last series really, another couple of specials would be very satisfying if they are of the quality of The Promised Land and Doug has shown the TV Movie-style sitcom episode can work for RD and it is a format worth exploring further to tie up any more loose ends.

So either a full series or 1/2 more specials would be fine IMHO. Let's hope the cast are all a lot healthier in the future and RD can keep going.

6. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Whinging? Moaning? I didn't whinge or moan about The Promised Land. I seem to remember admitting at the time that I wasn't in the right headspace for it, but I think I will be giving it another watch sometime soon and hopefully will be giving a positive response on the forum.

7. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

In case you hadn’t noticed it quite furious and disappointed in you!

good day

8. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

What have I done now?

9. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

You know!!! You dealt a low blow

10. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

If I did, you obviously deserved it.

11. BruceFivesyth

BruceFivesyth First Technician

I think Norman was also unwell recently, but seems to have recovered now.

I agree that I hope that there is more Dwarf. Series XI, XII and The Promised Land weren't perfect, but certainly an improvement on Back to Earth and X.

12. Asclepius

There's another article on UKTV's website...

If we can trust Rob Grant, he had covid-19 and ended in hospital, but as you say, he should be fine by now.

To be honest, I fear most for Robert. He was tajen to hospital during shooting XII and TPL, he didn't attend at a Fully Charged live event because of health issues.
    Being covered in silicon and glue certainly doesn't help and he's heading towards 70.

If there's to be a new RD, it should be done as soon as possible.

13. BruceFivesyth

BruceFivesyth First Technician

According to Wikipedia he's 64, but I agree that it must be pretty tough to wear the costume nowadays.

14. H is for Hologram

H is for Hologram Third Technician

I'm sure all the people who bought VPNs to watch TPL premiere didn't hurt the ratings.

15. Asclepius

It depends whether these ratings include online viewers. They certainly didn't hurt them if they watched it legally on UKTV Play or via Dave live broadcast, but I'm not sure these numbers are included in this statistics.

16. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

How would you rate / rank your forum friends @neilold?

17. H is for Hologram

H is for Hologram Third Technician

This is true. I wasn't sure if UK tv was a streaming service or something like a cable channel. It was recommended that I buy a VPN and the UKTV Play app to watch the broadcast live, and I have heard in my RD circles that people outside of the UK were able to view the live broadcast that way. But they may have only counted verified viewers in the viewing numbers.

18. neilold

neilold Science Officer

That's easy. I like everyone else in the entire universe more than you and bluey

Ant E likes this.
  19. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

(Is that including @Nikki the Great / @Cloud / @Underdunn )

coward

20. neilold

neilold Science Officer