Make another mark

Discussion in 'THE AIGBURTH ARMS' started by neilold, Sep 3, 2017.

1. neilold

neilold Science Officer

What happened to football and political graffiti? When I was a kid it was everywhere. For my area it was man u, city and Liverpool. The political graffiti was also always hard right or hard left. KBW, NF, or , no Nazis, Thatcher die, or up the unions. You never see it nowadays. It's either political indifference or people have finally started respecting public property

2. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

I've definitely seen it about still.

Also, I think you should create another topic entitled 'Make yet another mark' about getting a tattoo.

3. neilold

neilold Science Officer

Good point, though I ain't got any to talk about! You do see graffiti sporadically, but never likr you used to, and certainly not political

4. Nikki the Great

Nikki the Great Flight Co-Ordinator

This, and then make another thread called "Make even more Mark's" about how the name Mark is dying out, and that people should start naming their babies Mark again.

5. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

6. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

Your specific examples are of a time. I don't even know what KBW is. People don't write NF anymore because the NF are shadow of their former selves. In the 1970s the NF were a counter-cultural movement encapsulating not just racial angst but working-class angst. If you wanted to thumb your nose at the system you said you were NF because it was precisely what the system didn't want you to be. It's just not there any more, the NF collapsed after the 1979 election. Now people on the far-right have a bewildering array of splinter-groups to choose from. Also mass immigration in the 1970s was a new thing and opposition was more mainstream than it is now because people in the 1970s saw it as something that had happened in their lifetime. But 40 years later people have grown up with it.

Unions aren't what they used to be either because the nature of work has changed. Unions are a bigger deal in primary industries. Office workers don't strike and if they do no one cares. Thatcher did die, so there's no need to wish her dead anymore. The modern Conservative party has moved to the left, at least socially. When the Con-Dem coalition started, David Cameron said there was barely a cigarette paper between them anyway.

But mainly, people have social media now. Slogans on walls are now hashtags on twitter. Kids are still out there raging against the machine, they're just doing it on a machine.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
  7. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer