Lusting after meaningless sex...

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by bedfordfalls, Sep 10, 2009.

1. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

No its not a personal ad! :-)

I've just watched Demons and Angels for the first time on DVD after seeing it many times previously on versions I taped off TV.
    Anyway, I noticed the part where Low Lister comes out with this line complete with humping theatrics and realised that It isn't present on my original recording of the broadcast episode and that I've never seen it before.

Does anyone know if it was cut from the original broadcast and only appears on the DVDs/videos or whether it was chopped at a later broadcast ala the "Ball girl" line from Gunmen and the whole of Psirens.:?

2. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

Yeah, it's as per the Gunmen/Psirens thing. It was certainly there on the '92 original broadcast. But I've never seen this one cited before. Interesting!

3. bedfordfalls

That makes sense as the recordings I used to become so familiar with the show was from the complete run the BBC did of the show following Out of Time first going out and the reason my tape of series 6 was perpetually missing an episode.
    It was odd to encounter it last night for the first time. Its like re-reading a favorite book and finding someone's inserted an extra page!

4. SixthDwarfer

SixthDwarfer Supply Officer

I think the line may have been deleted from the repeats broadcast after 1993 due to Craig Charles' spending a few months on remand in prison for rape. I remember reading the 'Red Dwarf Programme Guide' a few years back and it mentioned that Lister's anecdote about Michelle Fisher and the 9th Hole of the Bootle Municipal Golf Course had been cut due to the allegations made against Craig.

5. bedfordfalls

I know what you mean but it might be better to phrase that "falsely accused of rape" in case anyone reading this doesn't know the story.

Yeah, I know that was the reason for the majority of the cuts although cutting the whole of Psirens seemed rather extreme in my mind. I'm surprised to hear about the golf club joke getting cut though as I'm almost certain that joke remained intact on the Marooned I had on tape, which is a bit odd if it was the same run where they cut the others. The whole thing seemed a bit selective really and I've never been entirely clear on the full reasoning behind the length of and selection of some material cut as opposed to other material left in. I'm presuming it was either done to avoid causing offence, to avoid muddying the waters with people who couldn't tell Craig Charles and the character he played apart or a mixture of both.

I just remember how happy I was to see Craig on news at ten the night he was finally cleared and released. I've never been so happy to see a man talking about defecating in a bucket on national television. Even though it must have been horrible for him his case helped expose a major flaw in the system.

6. brianbrian321

brianbrian321 Third Technician

I thought the 'golf course story' was dropped because ultimately it was about 'under-age sex' and would automatically mean the VHS would receive a 15 certificate - with the advent of the 12 certificate it was reinserted and re-certificated

there again I could be talking out of my chuffer

7. bedfordfalls

Hmm, I was just talking about my own home recordings from the TV repeats, not the official videos so I didn't know that the line was excercised from the VHS release. Technically the "ball-girl" story is also hinting at a similar issue though. No idea if that one was also removed for the VHS release. There's also Fiona Barrington from The Inquisitor and some even worse stuff that happened to a young Rimmer from The Last Day to take in if all references to that sort of activity were getting removed.

8. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

Not quite. It was removed from the Gunmen episode released on VHS as part of the Six of the Best boxset to avoid the 12 cert. But it had already been included on the Series VI VHS in its uncut form, getting a 12. The broadcast version was uncut, save for the single 'from here to entirety' repeat run which coincided with the Craig case, pre-acquittal. The DVD, of course, remains uncut.

9. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

Also, I'd like to agree that, if this horrible case be cited here, it really should be with a clear indication that Craig was wholly innocent. Some online readers may miss that key point when skim-reading.

There's a question of public taste, certainly, and as such sexual gags involving Craig on-screen during the time of a - ridiculously public - public trial might have seen inconsiderate at best, exploitative at worst. ("Getting laughs from a horrible occurrence.") You can see why it requires some editorial choices to be made, and it's hard to create a list of 'can say this, can't say that'. All judgement calls, and there comes a point - as with Psirens - where to cut that content would lose too much of the show. Rendering it nonsensical, as well as too brief for the slot.

But I don't think the Marooned story was cut for broadcast at that time. I'd have to check, but I think that's just known as 'the bit that made the episode a 15 on VHS', back before the 12 was introduced. (Remember it's the age reference that changes the cert, whereas it'd have to be the entire 'virginity' discussion, surely, to suit the issues during that repeat run.)

10. bedfordfalls

Ah yes, so it was now I recall. Good old six of the best, one of the few VHS releases I still hang onto even though I've no way of playing it anymore. The CD interview with Rob, Doug and Ed was really insightful at the time of release when the internet was still unknown to many people, myself included. Of course they're now on the DVD's but the lovely hologram of Starbug is still exclusive to the boxset. :-D

11. SixthDwarfer

SixthDwarfer Supply Officer

Yeah, that was me sticking my foot in my mouth as usual. Sorry.