Last RD ep. you watched recently

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by sanja, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

Or the opening of 'Kryten'. Personally, I don't regard parallel versions of the dwarfers as dwarfers, unless, like in 'Parallel Universe' they're actually crew of a version of Red Dwarf, so I consider none of the dwarfers to have been present at the beginnings of 'Dimension Jump' or 'Stoke Me a Clipper'.

2. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

Doh! Obviously Kryten was present at the beginning of 'Kryten'. He wasn't a dwarfer yet, but was sort of a younger version of himself. Ignore this fool. He don't know what he's going on about.

3. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

How are we supposed to ignore you when you're telling us to ignore you? Should we ignore the fact you told us to ignore you and not ignore you when you're telling us to ignore you?

4. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

There's also George McIntyre's funeral scene in The End.

5. harry_swagger

harry_swagger Second Technician

6. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

Decided to watch an episode last night, then remembered that I know everything that happens in lots of episodes and wanted one I didn't know as much, so chose Epideme.

Oh boy.

I made a note to try and say "when Kochanski says x, would Rimmer say it?" and, on some points, I think they would have. But then I need to remember that Kochanski is NOT Rimmer - completely different character. True, both antagonise Lister, and both are "nerdy", but that's about the height of it.

Epideme actually has quite a lot of stuff going on - finding the Leviathan, Lister getting infected, talking to Epideme, hacking off Lister's arm, Lister trying to blow himself up, then the final bit. In terms of story it's good, and some of the "filler" moments do have interesting stories too... but like a lot of series 7 the jokes are fewer, thinner and telegraphed in advance. A lot of the time Cat's jokes seem to be there just to give him lines, and Lister's treatment of Kochanski throughout a fair bit of the episode just seems horrible. He reminds me of a grumpy git one minute who is annoyed at not getting his leg over and coming up with petty insults, then a lovesick sappy teenager writing songs and so on.

It's not all bad though - the set for the Leviathan is pretty good (where did they come across it?), nice heroic music when Starbug is trying to get to the other planet, and Lister's operation scenes were good (Kryten flinging bits of arm into the bin, and in the final scene Kryten and Kochanski walking out, having a bit of a talk at a job well done before screaming "HE'S DEAD HE'S DEAD!!!" and running back in). Plus we get the "what kind of navigation officer can't tell left from right?" joke which is pretty good.

I guess we should also mention Epideme himself, which is a good idea but I just can't stand his voice. It's overly wacky and makes the character come across like it's trying too hard - reminds me of the medi-bot or the vending machines from series X.

Next time I want a quick bit of RD7 I'll have to remember to go back to Tikka To Ride, probably the only episode from that series I can stand (actually I think TTR is pretty good as far as Red Dwarf goes on a whole).

7. DivineVarod

DivineVarod Supply Officer

If you noticed Rimmer lines in Epideme that's right, it was a reworked script written with most of Kochanski's lines meant to be said by Chris. It was supposed to end with Rimmer transfering Lister's virus into his lightbee then switching of so Kryten could blast the virus into space.
    Later reworkings varied from Chris voicing the virus as he wanted to stay on or Ace returning and saving Lister, to Patrick Steward voicing the virus to ... the episode you saw :P

8. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

A strange review for me, as I'm going to review this episode AS I'm watching it (in other words, typing my thoughts as we go). Also, attempting to watch Red Dwarf episodes I haven't seen in a while, I've decided to go for... Tikka To Ride!

In an effort to prove that series 7 wasn't complete smeg, I've decided to do this one. I recall quite enjoying it when it was aired and it remains the high point (in a sea of low points) for series 7 for me. So, without further ado, here we go...

(btw, this is the regular DVD version)

Ooh, it's Lister's nose. Trying to do a Doctor Who intro. Fair enough. Don't know why people are laughing at him producing the camera. Peeing on Rimmer - okay-wise joke. Maturity - meh. Flashback - I guess this kinda explains the other crew, as I still think they'll both be in different universes now, though time was slow. As soon as the future crew saw events that diverged from what they knew, they both should have separated into other universes. I guess you could say that time was waiting until a point it "couldn't undo", then did the split.

Still love the music as Rimmer destroys the time drive (though he doesn't!).

Would a good storyline be that, with both crews being in different universes (as I see it) that the future crew is still out there?

Why does the camera explode?

Why does Kryten look as if he's cacked himself?

"By the way we're in space..." - good bit.

Intro, with non-blurry Starbug! Pity they couldn't make the dimensional bridge look any good.

Squat Starbug going past - never liked that look.

Watching the initial scene with Kryten explaining to Lister about the Indian food supplies being lost - I quite enjoy that scene. If there's one bit of "classic" Dwarf in RD7 I'd say it's this. Even the "perhaps you could learn to love pasta" is a good punch-line to the scene.

No curry on Monday?

I always thought Rimmer and Cat were pointing back at "hearing" Lister moan, but have only just seen now that they're wearing armbands. A minute's flatulence indeed.

And we're in a big wibbly wobbly vent thing, which is RD's way of saying "hey, we've got a budget now, look at our location shot". And I never imagined Lister's lust for curry being the main plot of the episode. Wind tunnel - still looks impressive.

Again, I think the Dwarfers are inhabiting a universe which is 99.99% the same as the one they came from (even historically), which allows for the "expanded cargo decks". It also explains the time drive, which I'll get to in a bit.

And now we've got Lister decapitating Kryten. Why not? Although I don't quite understand why if he's replacing the guilt chip in the new head anyway - that head has a different opinion (mind you, Kryten's heads were always a bit pernickity). Like the little "bonnet holder" - good little touch.

Groinal attachment v2! Normally I'd dislike them re-using that joke, but it works brilliantly here, especially since it is hardly ever used in any situation (other than this I think the only other use has been its initial one in Polymorph).

I dislike the new film-like look of RD7 - which was visible in the flashback to Out Of Time, with them trying to make OOT look a bit better with random effects or something.

Ah, the time drive. Right then. Quick theory.

"But you've used them before" - good bit.

And they did a really good job with the motorcade and Dallas in general.

Okay, time drive. Right. When the future crew killed the present crew, they didn't kill the present crew. Instead, the two different crews started occupying different universes. So the future crew could still be out there.

(Cat whacking the window amuses me)

Right, so we know the future crew modified the time drive to allow them to travel around space as well as time.

(JFK named after the airport too)

Perhaps the future crew modified it based on the matter paddle from Meltdown, if they had schematics.

(Kryten noticing the boxes is great too)

So the time drive is now also a matter drive. When the universes "split", time tried to sort things out as best it could and the time drive "defaulted" to the future crew's version. Let's face it, Doctor Who has done worse.

Quick explanation over. We're in giant pizza territory after they've just pulled Lee Harvey Oswald out of the window, which was a pretty good moment.

Red rubbish wibbly effect - hooray!

And now we're in a cool alternative America! Which actually is pretty good sci-fi! And yeah, they've made that old air base (I think it was) into a good little American street. J Edgar Hoover's transvestite orgy pictures. It would actually be a good premise for a random sci-fi miniseries, this.

"And worst of all..." "I know, I know, I still haven't had a curry."

"No sir, I've just been jabbing it too hard."

Oh I really wish I'd been watching the campfire scene for the first time. The joke is ruined, but it's an absolutely fantastic joke. One scene, based on one joke, with Rimmer sniggering away in the background.

"Where to?" "Hawaii, let's catch some surf!" - great line from Kryten.

We're just explaining away the whole "original selves beaming in", which I don't really mind. The crew tried a quick fix, it didn't work, which means they have to try something more drastic.

Why would Cat be averse to shooting the President? He has no real love for the human race, or morals in general.

And I always loved the music as the crew figured out their mistake and went to Idlewild airport. JFK himself - I can believe him choosing to sacrifice himself "for America" (hang on, this is a British show!). After his fall from grace, he decides to redeem himself by sacrificing himself so that time can largely revert to normal, and also galvanise America, allowing Starbug to re-exist. Bit of a stretch, but the episode somehow manages to work with it all.

Anyone else noticed, at the end, Rimmer looks similar to his Doyle persona from Back To Reality?

And there we go. I still think it's actually a good episode of Red Dwarf. Heck, maybe one of the better ones. Good, believable plot (if you can "get your head around/make excuses for" the time travel, as I've just done). It goes places, and actually has a good look of recent Doctor Who about it. It doesn't wallow, doesn't do stupid and needless stuff and has some good jokes. If the entirety of RD7 did this then we probably wouldn't hate it so much.

Maybe I should review Cassandra next and see if I can muster the same sort of praise for RD8, as Cassandra is the only episode of that I can really stomach.

9. harry_swagger

I watched Inquisitor :-D:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D

10. betelgeuse

betelgeuse Catering Officer

Watching Series X. Love the CAT bits, the episodes are funnier than when I watched them a few times ...well...when they aired I guess. So I've been pleasantly surprised, and very optimistic about the 2016 / 2017 series.

11. dibbleysmeghead

dibbleysmeghead Second Technician

Going through a re-watch since a couple of weeks ago. Currently on Pete Part 2.

It's been interesting watching the transition from series 1 where the emphasis was mainly on the conversations between Lister and Rimmer through to series 8 where the whole crew is more involved with Kryten having a lot more to do.

12. harry_swagger

I watched series X episode lemons recently

13. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Parallel Universe. I watch it before listen to podcast

14. Kittypaws

Kittypaws Flight Co-Ordinator

Backwards.

15. Diet_coke

Diet_coke Science Officer

Back to reality

16. Kittypaws

Kittypaws Flight Co-Ordinator

Marooned
    Polymorph
    Bodyswap
    Timeslides
    The Last Day

17. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I'm guessing he lacked the required acting skills. It would have been nice to see him, but anyway Richard O'Callaghan does a great job.

18. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

So I subjected myself to watching Cassandra yesterday.

Y'know, it's not bad. Not great, and certainly not in my list of favourite episodes, but not bad. Some decent humour, especially:

* "become a dog" is worthy enough to raise a smirk, but it thankfully continues into an actual idea by Holly, complete with pictures.
    * Kill Crazy knocking himself out
    * "I believe that's your shadow, sir"
    * "All the Canaries will be dead within one hour, except for Rimmer." "YES!!!" "Who will be dead in 20 minutes." - probably the best moment of series 8
    * "Oh but Cassandra promised..." when it's revealed Lister isn't going to kill Rimmer (wow, even Kochanski gets a good line)

A half-decent plot as well which goes places and isn't stuck on the ship. Bit on RD, meeting Cassandra, Rimmer trying to get out of dying, before realising he is going to die, elation when he discovers he's going to have sex with Kochanski, and then the final showdown with Cassandra.

Also liked how Cassandra is a disembodied head, like Holly (and probably like Holly from White Hole, floating about because of super-intelligence). I believe the only other computer we've encountered is Gordon, who was also a disembodied head. Nice to see some consistency there.

There is a decent plot, and I especially liked Kryten demonstrating that the others were "invulnerable" and the idea to use this to their advantage and get Rimmer to safety. However, I'm not keen on the whole "Cassandra says Kochanski and Rimmer have sex so that's what's got to happen, whether Kochanski likes it or not" thing. It just strikes me as tacky above anything else, and the main thing that spoils a good episode.

19. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Trying to watch Back in the Red...my god this is awful it is NOT Red Dwarf! Shame on all involved!

Just noticed Geoffrey Beevers (aka The Master) is in pt2!

20. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

Just wait till you get to the Pete episodes.....they are worse then Back in the Red, believe it or not.