It's the original Rimmer.

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by richisawesome, Apr 12, 2009.

1. richisawesome

richisawesome Second Technician

So at least one thing from series 8 has been resolved. Kryten stated that the crew had grown stronger against the squid's ink, because they encountered the despair squid before. Including Rimmer. And that was in series 6.

So obviously, the resurrected Rimmer died aboard the burning Red Dwarf, and the original Rimmer was a 'bit crap' as Ace Rimmer, hence his return.

Either way, I was HUGELY impressed with part 3, and it's really wrapped the whole thing up nicely. I loved it.

2. GuffyGuy

GuffyGuy Second Technician

It did feel a lot like the original Rimmer. Which is a good thing because I thought Chris Barrie was on form with the character. Very funny with his reaction shots, and the dialouge seemed very natural (and once or twice, funny).

But truthfully I think you've just pointed out a plot hole as opposed to a wry observation.

I felt cheated that the cliffhanger was ignored. I think Doug should have gone with his original idea of having Ace Rimmer rescue Rimmer at the end of series 8. The 'only the good die young bit' didn't really ring true when we knew that Rimmer had already died in a previous incarnation.

Oh well...

3. Elwood

Elwood First Technician

huh what happened to my earlier post? Basically I said the same as above, (sorry im not typing your name, but with the website speeds it'l take me an hour to go back to find it, then go forward to type it again) that the Rimmer knowing of the despair squid was another of the many continuity failures. I dont mind small ones like this though, its the big ones that get to me.

4. GordonBennett

GordonBennett Third Technician

In addition to knowing about the squid, he also remembered all the jokes about Rachel and the puncture repair kit.

5. Elwood

Elwood First Technician

yeah you're right. so either a big continuity mistake, or its Ace back, or when the resurrected Rimmer became a Hologram he got all of Ace Rimmers memories right before he left.

Though it still doesn't explain where he got hard light drives from, as Red Dwarf, nor anyone has that technology aside from Legion.

So yeah. continuity is wrong. as per usual.

6. Keir_FTGL_Shiels

Keir_FTGL_Shiels Catering Officer

Guys, you are missing a key point.

Rimmer is not a person. He doesn't have blood-born anti-bodies, he is a hologram projection of a set of data that's stored on a computer. It doesn't have to be the same Rimmer that encountered the despair squid. Rimmer's experiences, memories and personality have all been stored on the ship's computer. When he was brought back as a hologram, he would simply pick up from where he previously left off. With knowledge of the despair squid...

7. Earl

Earl Skutter

yeah he doesnt have to be the original Rimmer hologram that went off to be Ace... its a copy of the original Rimmers hologram file. Im sure rimmer would keep a current copy just incase, it would have the original Rimmer holograms memories all the way up until series 6. Just a idea...

8. dsarchy

dsarchy Skutter

I wouldn't get too caught up about it If I where you this is red dwarf. Holly could of updated Rimmers memory files at any time. Remember Thanks for the memory, holoship etc. They can do it.

I would love to See some more Ace. I kept hoping that Ace was going to appear to save the day or something. Alas maybe series 9.

9. grownsomuch09

grownsomuch09 Third Technician

Then Explain the Hard Light Body..Don't forget that one. It is the old Rimmer, & back from being Ace!

10. GuffyGuy

GuffyGuy Second Technician

That's not really a *very* key point is it. It doesn't explain what happened to Rimmer and it doesn't explain why the ship was alright after a chameleonic microbe was eating it when we last looked.

Again, oh well...

11. cyberkilla

cyberkilla Second Technician

From the stuff I've seen, Naylor wanted to hack away at the last few episodes of series 8, and never speak of them again.
    There were too many loose ends that needed tying up at the time. It's 9 years on, and a lot of them simply can't be resolved in a new series. He knows everyone preferred the old Ace Rimmer, as he's the original. It's therefore conceivable that he did this on purpose.

On the other hand, we could be doing the whole 'poetry study' thing, where we pick something apart and 'find' hidden, subtle information between the lines that the author probably didn't comprehend at the time (but that won't stop him agreeing with your deep evaluations:-(twisted:

12. lob337

lob337 Third Technician

am i the only one who could care less about the continuity mistakes? i really couldnt give a rats *** - red dwarf has always had them in bucketloads- and always been tongue in cheek about it. i-just-want-it-to-be-funny. perhaps the reason it was missing some better gags at all was because dougs concentrating more on the plot and connecting it back etc... my guess is if he gave it as much though as all of this nonsense - it wouldnt have had the 3 or 4 laughs it did!! seriously - if you wanted such a serious scifi plot - get your fix of that elsewhere! harping on like this is only going to (if it happens) - make the new series purely plot based... i say to hell with a plot - stick rimmer and listy back in the bunks and lets hear them go at it until i cry laughing! wanna do a sequel?? how about a marooned 2!! no cgi or clever plot twists necessary. just throw in some tony hawks for good measure!

13. cyberkilla

cyberkilla Second Technician

I don't think anyone is bothered. We're just trying to dredge the episodes for information about the time that we missed:P. Shockingly, this special was full of hidden stuff (whether it was on purpose, I don't know).

14. jacksmith

jacksmith Catering Officer

I think there's alot of idiots out there that missed all the details alltogether, such a shame.