It was a Tuesday/Friday etc

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Baxters_Hooch, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Baxters_Hooch

Baxters_Hooch Supply Officer

I've watched Back to Earth several times now, and I've noticed there are several times in it (and one or two in the deleted scenes) where someone says 'it was a Friday' or such like about something... any idea why this is??

Also, don't know if anyone's noticed what I think is a copy of 'Die Screaming With Sharp Things in Your Head' in the DVD store...

2. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Yes, I noticed that. At least I'm pretty sure that's the title as it's difficult to read properly.

I also liked the appearance of the 'shrinking boxer shorts' moment from Polymorth that appears on a TV screen in that shop (I'm unable to recall the shop's name right now).

I've no answer for your first question however.

3. Baxters_Hooch

They Walk Among Us?

4. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

The "He made your brain. He made your brain too; it was a Friday" joke from Nose World?

I think that one relates to the idea that people tend to be a bit lazier on a Friday, especially in the afternoon when everything winds down ready for the weekend, so Cat's brain (the Friday brain) was a bit half-arsed. Thus he's an idiot.

Don't recall it elsewhere though...

EDIT: also the brain bit relates to Blade Runner doesn't it? Tyrell made the brains of the replicants or something. Isn't it something the eye-making bloke says in the film "he made your brain" or something like that?

5. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Of course! I remember now.

6. Red_Dwarf_Heroes_Lost_Fan

Red_Dwarf_Heroes_Lost_Fan Supply Officer

3,000,000 years into deep space. (otherwise, Dubli
    Maybe coz it was a Friday?

7. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

How about the idea that it only took a day to make something as massively complex as a fully functioning brain?! The implication is that considerably less time was spent on Cat's than one might expect.

It's a joke about Cat being stupid, and also a callback to a little running comment Rimmer made earlier (one of which, I think, was cut out, but made the deleted scenes). Rimmer's "It was a Tuesday" thing is just a cute detail totally tangental to the point - when we're talking about the destruction of the mainframe computer, what day it was is hardly relevant. It's not even the date, just as day of the week - as if it matters! But it's a whimsy, it makes a big disaster seem oddly anecdotal. It trivialises the important, puts the irrelevant next to the vital. And through the conflict of tones comes wry humour.

Man, it really worries me when lines like this need explaining...!

8. dvd3500

dvd3500 Supply Officer

Because it's Thursday?

9. Baxters_Hooch

There are others... The bath overflowing and flooding half the ship, Rimmer says it was a Thursday, and in the deleted meteor scene too. I think there are a few others!

10. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

There are those three, all of which I just mentioned...

11. Baxters_Hooch

Oh right yeah sorry I missed your post! I'm just wondering if Doug did it intentionally, that's all. A bit like 'too weird for words'!

12. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

Yes, it was wholly intentional.

13. Red_Dwarf_Heroes_Lost_Fan

Red_Dwarf_Heroes_Lost_Fan Supply Officer

3,000,000 years into deep space. (otherwise, Dubli
    Why is it I don't remember much of this?

14. dvd3500

dvd3500 Supply Officer

Because it's Friday

15. Baxters_Hooch

The ziggurat (my spell checker doesn't recognise it!) thing is Rimmer being weird and thinking he knows what words mean and trying to look clever - a bit like in BTE he says 'knots per hour' when the knot is a unit of speed itself and knots per hour would be acceleration...

16. littlesmegger

littlesmegger Third Technician

I think the simple explination for the "it was a Friday" comments would be "running gag"...

17. minstrel3000

minstrel3000 Skutter

A ziggurat is a type of pyramid. We all know Lister's comments on how they moved those massive, massive stones... It was simply Rimmer's

18. minstrel3000

minstrel3000 Skutter

A ziggurat is a type of pyramid. We all know Lister's comments on how they moved those massive, massive stones... It was simply Rimmer's way of "cracking the whip," or, putting it another way, "gittin' 'er done."

The Friday comment was two-fold... Running joke on the "it was [this day] and a shot at Cat's lack of intelligence because of the poor manufacturing done on Fridays...

WAY too much over thinking for a tv show... lol

19. rgnestle

rgnestle Skutter

A lot of the references in RD used to throw me too. Skoda (ugly car), OxFam (Oxford Famine Relief), teasy-weasy (hair stylist/barber).

A ziggurat is the structure built around, or up to, a pyramid so that the workers can climb up to the next level of said pyramid and continue working. It's an inclined plane that is built as needed as the pyramid gets higher and higher. Often, as one entry here states, used by priests to access the altar of a temple.

Thusly, Rimmer's climbing up the ziggurat refers to being one of the workers trying to get to the top, either as a lowly worker banging away day-after-day or as a priest serving a higher being at a level which he would never attain.

About "Friday"; cars (et al) made on Fridays are notorious for being of much lower quality than those made in the middle of the week. More often than not, "lemons" can be traced back to Friday production (and, less often, Mondays).

Of course, the "I think it was a Tuesday", in my opinion, was a way for Rimmer to make himself sound impressive (even though we know he can barely remember his name at times). Talkie Toaster also said that the last time Lister had toast was on a Tuesday (Waiting For God). Rimmer refers to Shrove Tuesday in his tirade about using Mayday as a distress call (Backwards). Lister frets over what could have been, in DNA, saying he might have wound up "playing squash every Tuesday with a bloke called Gerald". In White Hole, Kryten wanted to "go back to a week last Tuesday, because it was such a good house-keeping and hanging out day. In the same episode, we discover that Tuesday is Cat's turn on the electric blanket, so Lyster has to power it with the exercycle. In Gunmen of the Apocalypse, Lyster tells Loretta that he wants her the way she was that last Tuesday night. In Tikka to Ride, Tuesday was one of the days that Lister would have a curry and a few beers. What's up with Tuesday?

I find the Moss Bros. reference interesting. I wonder if it's like Americans referring to going down to The Men's Warehouse for a suit. "Going down to Moss Bros" (for the American readers) is going down to Moses Brothers, a clothier established in the 1800's in the UK. While not the least expensive place to shop, a groom would more than likely go down to Moss Bros. to get his wedding tuxedo. So Lister would not go down to Moss Bros. for his intended GELF bride. :shock:

I love this forum! You all make such good points and ask such interesting questions! Best to you all!:-D