Im Dying

Discussion in 'THE AIGBURTH ARMS' started by Eddiebadassdavis, May 8, 2018.

1. Eddiebadassdavis

Eddiebadassdavis Supply Officer

A few weeks ago uploaded a video on
    Doctor Who.... an hour later i got a message saying that i got a copyright.

What is wrong with Youtube.

2. Cloud

Cloud Flight Co-Ordinator

dunno

3. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I also don't know. But what's right about Youtube is all those fantastic videos. Like all those all TV shows you thought you would never see again. I've wasted many an hour watching those.

Pembers likes this.
  4. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Console Officer

Not something I've had direct experience of, but from what I understand Youtube tend to take down videos as a default action if there's a complaint made and will assume if you don't object that the complaint was justified. I'd guess it depends how much Dr Who footage you used in the video and how long the clips were. Might be worth contacting them for a further explanation if you're really bothered or annoyed by it, at worst it might give you a better set of guidelines to work to in future.

5. Asclepius

Asclepius Deck Sergeant

Your channel is quite small one. I don't understand, why is YouTube destroying small channels. Maybe try write in video info, you don't own any rights to that footage and the video is for entretaintment purposes etc.

6. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Console Officer

I don't think the size of the channel will matter much except that the more widely known you are, the sooner any perceived infraction will get noticed. Also if you have actually infringed copyright (Not saying that you did since I haven't seen your video), I'm not sure if it would really help you to acknowledge that the footage you're posting isn't yours. Did you challenge or appeal the decision at all Eddie?

I believe you can post portions of copyright material for comment/review/criticism, but only so much so it's possible you may have unintentionally crossed a line (Guidelines under Fair Use I think are around 10% of the original work, but as ever I'm not a lawyer so don't quote me on this). That said AFAIK the UK doesn't actually have a Fair Use clause in its Copyright laws, I think Fair Use is an American thing that's widely accepted internationally though.

7. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

I wouldn't call this something wrong with YouTube. It's just doing its legal responsibility to protect copyright and also satisfying advertisers so they can actually get money and pay small channels.

8. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

Bump