Filming, when?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Ianjk78, Mar 6, 2010.

1. Ianjk78

Ianjk78 Second Technician

Hi.

Well we all know that new episodes have been confirmed from reliable sorces, and we also hear that these episodes will be shown by the end of the year. But it's gone a little quiet lately, and we are into March and there hasn't even been mentioned of any filming to start in the next few months. So when does everyone think the filming will go ahead? Or will it go ahead, will the Red Dwarf Fans be left disappointed?

Ian.

2. Smegged

Smegged First Technician

From what I have gathered, here are the facts:

- New scripts have been commissioned. This means that Doug Naylor has been asked to write more, and this was the last official word on the subject. No word has come out on whether after those scripts were presented(or if they were presented) if a new series was given the green light.

- Chris Barrie is on record with "rumors", in that the whispers they've heard(again, nothing confirmed) is that they would start filming some time in 2010 if the series was given a green light. He also voiced his opinion that he hopes it goes ahead and that he would love to do it.

So basically, no official announcements have come about a series being given the green light. Anything after the fact that the scripts were commissioned is speculation, unfortunately.

3. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Console Officer

Although scripts have been commisioned to be written, everyone has to remember that it takes quite some time to write 6 half hour episodes (assuming it's 6 half hour eps) and the fact that they will most likely be written by one person, ie Doug. I would say be patient and news will come through eventually. It's difficult to wait, I know, I check the website for news regular. We've waited 10 years for BTE, i'm sure everyone would prefer to wait a bit longer for some excellent scrips rather than have something thrown together just to get it out there.

4. Almighty_crj

Almighty_crj First Technician

Exactly. We've complained enough about how underwritten we thought the VII or VIII scripts were. About the lack of time that had gone into the scripts due to production deadlines. I reckon we should relax, chill out and bide our time because at the end of the day the more time we wait now, the better the resulting episodes should be.

5. steven87gill

steven87gill Second Technician

Put way better than i ever could.

6. nicky_j

nicky_j Deck Sergeant

Thats the last time I ever say anything on a forum im keeping my mouth shut in future! I dont even know if I even got that comment right it was late at night and i was speaking to someone who had had a couple of drinks and it was just general chit chat. I might not have even heard it right as I was only half listening. and knowing me ill have got it wrong. so dont take any notice!

7. nicky_j

nicky_j Deck Sergeant

I've deleted my previous post now, simply because Im worried that Ive got it wrong and dont wanna get everyones hopes up lol. Although I'm pretty sure I didnt mishear because my ears pricked up when it was said, but it was thrown in the middle of the conversation by someone who wasnt that drunk but had had a few drinks. And it wasnt Craig Charles before anyone starts wondering lol. I didnt think anyone had even picked up on that as no one responded when I wrote it, but they obviously have if someone posted a link on twitter to a website which had my post quoted. Anyway, Ill stay quiet and say no more lol

8. Cappsy

Cappsy Second Technician Fan Club Team

nicky, there really wasn't a need to delete your post. Hearsay and rumours are what we live for!

9. nicky_j

nicky_j Deck Sergeant

ok well everyones seen it now anyway lol. I wanted to share what Id heard because it was interesting but like I say I was worried that Id got it wrong or the person who told me had hence not wanting to say who it was and didnt want to get people's hopes up. sounded positive though at least lol so fingers crossed eh

10. nicky_j

nicky_j Deck Sergeant

Infact! I'll ask my friend who was with me at the time and see if he can confirm it.

11. nicky_j

nicky_j Deck Sergeant

I asked him and he said he thinks he heard the same as me. so there you go speculate all you like lol ;-)

12. Weevil

Weevil Deck Sergeant

I think I've missed the beginning of this conversation

13. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I too.

Nicky, could you repeat what you said in your deleted post for the benefit of those of us who missed it?

14. nicky_j

nicky_j Deck Sergeant

Ok well I might aswell clear this up. Sorry for deleting the post, I wasnt trying to be an arse. I was just worried I'd said something that wasnt meant to be repeated especially when I wasnt 100% sure if Id got it right myself. I didnt wanna get anyone in trouble lol.

I'll tell you the short version. Someone who is close to Craig Charles told me and a friend that theres gonna be a new series of Red Dwarf and I'm pretty sure he said september/october time for filming. Although I'm not 100% sure on that part, I must not have been paying enough attention for some reason. (mustve been too engrossed in what craig was doing ;-) But it was thrown in the middle of a conversation about what craig has got coming up and that was the only mention of it. Before I had chance to ask more about it, he got distracted by someone else who was talking and it got forgotten about. Craig was present at the time and made no comment either way. But he might not have even been listening, I'm not sure. There wasnt much information at all and because I wasnt 100% sure Id got it right I didnt come and post it on here and just made a passing comment in an already existing conversation about 6 weeks later. If Craig had told me Id have posted it or if there was more information, but there didnt seem to be much more than we already had. I asked my friend who was with me at the time and he said he's pretty sure the guy said there was gonna be a new series which starts filming in sept/october too. So I must not have imagined it :lol:

15. Rewcastle

Rewcastle Second Technician

...............so what is it?

16. Weevil

Weevil Deck Sergeant

Thanks NJ:-)

17. Ianjk78

Ianjk78 Second Technician

No worries, thats more information than we have had so far. Thanks for all the comments :-)

Ian.

18. Rageofangels

Rageofangels First Technician

That sounds a reasonable sort of time to get all 6 scripts done and okay'd by then.

RAGE

19. Smegerama

Smegerama Supply Officer

Yeah, the longer it takes, the better it's going to be.

20. CampbellFTD

CampbellFTD Skutter

Any news even by way of supposed drunken conversation is welcome news to me anyway, just re-watched BTE for the second time since it was first broadcast but still loved it however, can't see any real problems with it... it's RD! It was always going to be good in someway. Your right though the longer it takes the better the script will be and hopefully the BBC won;t shoot it down like they did last time or hopefully at least Dave will screen it. On that point wouldn't it be a good idea for Dave to run an RD season or syndicate it?

Just so you know I've watched RD since I could remember but never got round to registering online so hello eveyone :-D