Episodes you'd like to see in the new series

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by jmc2000, May 15, 2015.

1. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

2. Pecospete666

Pecospete666 Catering Officer

A Wizard of Oz parody That's a good idea!

3. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

I like the Rimmer through a prism idea. That's got legs :-)

4. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

An episode or two (maybe it could be a series arc*) dealing with that mysterious map stolen by Hoagey.

* Before people complain about multi-part episodes, that's not what I mean. I'll individual self contained stories using the map as a mcguffin to find there way to their next destination etc...

5. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

A Marooned type episode.

6. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

I like this idea, but I'd modify it that the planet is a sanctuary for all mechanical life forms. It will be run by a 'holy man' never seen, only known by name, who gathers the mechanoids, simulants, skutters, toasters and other assorted machines around himself to await the Ultimate Download, when all loyal machines will receive the divine program which guides them to Silicon Heaven before the Final Offline. Of course, the holy man turns out to be merely a computer virus, and it infects everything, skutters, ship's systems, Rimmer, Lister's toothbrush, and part of the program is to kill the humanoids. Or summat.

7. yeckel

yeckel Console Officer

:lol: Love the toothbrush attack!

8. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Due to copyright laws none of these ideas would ever make it into the show now...:roll:

9. Paul Taylor

Good! I was hoping the killer toothbrush chase through the ship's lower decks would make up a full fourteen minutes of the episode.

10. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

I'd like an episode where it's funny again, and all the actors remember how their characters are supposed to behave.

I'd also like an episode where the sets bear at least some resemblance to Red Dwarf and Starbug's interiors.

11. simulant37

From which series? The sets have always changed as the show has progressed...:roll:

12. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Fair point, simulant.

I'm just trolling, really. It's just my way of expressing my disappointment in everything post series 8.

Series X was awful, and I can't get too excited about X1 and X11 because of that.

13. simulant37

You mean XI & XII...:roll:

14. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Yes.

15. codename_47

codename_47 First Technician

Nearly 30 years and we still know next to flip all about the cat. Except that he likes clothes. And fish.

Time to change that please Doug.

16. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

We know plenty about Cat through the way be behaves and conducts himself, having sad that given his own selfish and shallow nature his hard to write an episode for. I would love to see an episode centered around him too but I disagree about the notion of not knowing anything about him. However if they were going to make an episode about Cat I'd love it to centre around the lost cat ship, I mean that would suit Doug's style of trying to build on the mythos of the series.

17. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

I wouldn't. The Cat is the Cat - nothing else is needed. Yes, he's had smeg-all development really through the show, always remaining a comic relief character, but he's still awesome!

(and no, I haven't watched the Identity Within extra on the DVD)

As much as I feel Rimmer is the best character, I really disliked the "father" revelation in The Beginning. It changes how we think about him, gives him an excuse. I don't want the same to happen to the Cat. Mind you, Cat and Kryten having to save Rimmer and Lister (and the Cat would be given command of such a mission, seeing as though he's actually alive, though he'd be content to do nothing so Kryten would have to badger him) could be alright, IF written well and wasn't cringeworthy.

As for the "Kryten going insane and killing everyone" episode - hmm... could be a good one. So long as Kryten's manner wasn't evil and he continued either as if everything was perfectly normal, or apologising for everything:

Kryten: "Good afternoon sir, I thought I'd give your quarters a quick clean and hit you over the head with a welding mallet."
    Lister: "What?"
    Kryten: "Oh come now sir, it won't be too bad, and it has been several weeks since the room was last defumigated."
    Lister: "Well, when you put it like that..."
    Kryten: "Excellent sir, now don't forget, this will hurt you far more than it will hurt me."
    Lister: "Isn't that supposed to be the other way round?"
    Kryten: "Not on this occasion sir, no."

OR

Kryten: "I must apologise sir, I appear to have a welding mallet in my hand and the strong compulsion to hit you over the head repeatedly with it. I must state that you will probably lose consciousness but don't worry, I'll have your ironing done for when you come round."

18. Paul Taylor

I love your take on the killer Krytie concept.:lol:

In my opinion, considering it was meant to be "the Cat episode", I don't think Identity Within really accomplished much for the Cat.The only way I could see his character progressing much is if the ship entered an area of space controlled by cat-folk, leaving him caught between worlds and with mixed loyalties, but also perhaps providing him with a value within the crew that he hasn't enjoyed since he used to pilot Starbug. All of this would mean a change in dynamics, which hasn't generally worked well in Red Dwarf , but it would help tie up the "whatever happened to the cat-folk" loose end.

19. simulant37

Why?

20. codename_47

codename_47 First Technician

Because character development is a thing and every time Doug tries to move the characters forwards the fans cry foul because it takes them out of their little box they have for them in their heads.

The cat has the most untapped potential so you'd be able to learn new things about him that doesn't contradict anything we've learnt. Which isn't much.

And mainly because the cat is cool and I want to see More of him.

I'd like a holly ep too where we learnt more about her, but that's not Happening is it?
    Gotta be realistic.