EPISODE 6 - SKIPPER - DISCUSSION THREAD

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Seb, Nov 8, 2017.

1. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Call back would be using Uncle Frank as a password in M-Corp. Call back would mentioning the OM song in at least 2 episodes last series.

If he was an occurring character he would have to be more then what he was. while what he was in that episode was more of a call back. they basically just did the same thing they did in white hole. Lister reluctant to activate him, kryten assuring him it will be ok, talkie being coy about not being toast obsessed before asking the very question, Lister naming bread products he doesn't want.

Thats the issue about bringing things back after they have left an impression. they tend to feel like revisiting the greatest hits.

2. DivineVarod

DivineVarod Supply Officer

Still think all the call backs and returning characters in XII were because Doug knew there might be a possibility that there wouldn't be an anniversary special, so he celebrated Red Dwarf's history the best he could in the series itself ...

Asclepius likes this.
  3. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

That would be ok but the issue is Doug tends to do alot of call backs anyway.

He done quite a few of them in series 8 and then when he did BTE he was surprised by the criticism towards the call backs and about using the despair squid idea again since he thought it was a nice way to celebrate the show. but i don't think anyone thought of it that way because of Series 8's nostalgia pull.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  4. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Catering Officer

I watched Skipper on Thursday night (14th March) so my Dwarfathon ended on exactly the 2 month mark since it began. In regards to the episode, it still remains in the classic Dwarf bracket and is the finest of series 12 amongst a lot of other very strong shows. It's almost like 2 episodes in one as the first half deals with the lesion in time producing opposite actions (with the Cat humorously getting it wrong all the time) and then the second half concentrating on the corrected multiverse skipper. A few people I think were not too keen on there being 2 parts to Skipper, but I feel if Doug had concentrated it all on the multiverse it could have been too repetitive and the first part with the opposites provides the episode with balance. Obviously the multiverse skipping is even more fantastic than the lesion and my highlight of my rewatch had to be Norman Lovett's phenomenal reappearance. As others have said, Doug has furnished him with so many superior lines to his previous appearance (though I did like his jokes in series 8 though) and I now wonder whether the "It's Monday (?) morning and you are in a corridor..." has got to be one of the iconic Red Dwarf scenes. The Hollister surprise was an added great bonus too and Skipper is such an epic Red Dwarf episode and a fitting thirtieth anniversary party piece. If series 13 does definitely go ahead, then I hope its finale can be as excellent as this. Rating - a tour-de-force that remains at 9 out of 10.

If series 2 to 6 of Red Dwarf is like Oasis in the Definitely Maybe/What's the Story (Morning Glory)-era then I feel series 11 and 12 while not totally up there with the Rob Grant co-writes would have to be the equivalent in excellence to the Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds albums (not quite up there with DM/WTSMG but like I said excellent).

Oh well, that's the end of my Red Dwarf marathon watch and it has been such a tremendous journey. Even though there is obviously not always continuity in Red Dwarf then I would recommend others travel through each series in order too, though probably I don't really need to say that to you all. Thanks for all the replies and it has been great fun to discuss a number of the RD shows with you.

But still although today I have for the first time in a couple of months watched something different on my Blu-ray player, the Dwarfathon isn't all up because I will have a brief break and then watch the Xtended/Remastered versions of series 7/8 episodes. Also, if all being well I am provided with replacement discs for the series 3 and series 5 Blu-rays then clearly I will have to re-watch those episodes and have a mini-marathon to make sure they are all a-okay. So although it is over, it is not all finished really and hopefully there may well be some new Red Dwarf material in the pipeline to fill in the time between my next Dwarfathon which will be less time than the over 3 and a half years gap this time (as I awaited the delayed box set) but still quite a long way off.

5. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Id say Skipper is the highlight of both 11 and 12 for me. probably the one that stands out most to me as enjoyable.

Only thing that hurts it is the "nobody is dead Arnold" joke, which felt like a joke that went on too long because we all knew where it was going, and what made the "everybody is dead dave" joke/scene work is because not only was there a joke but it was also a relevant scene for the show which still stands within its concept today. while in Skipper it was just a call back joke that went on for the same amount of time.

Only other thing i would have changed is id have removed the Rimmer and Kryten figuring out the everything you say the opposite happens logic. because we already had it again with Lister and Cat, and personally i think the Lister and cat scene was funnier than the Kryten and Rimmer one. and yet they were both explaining the same thing.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
    UltraDevotee likes this.
  6. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Catering Officer

I'll give you a like because I am glad that you at least found Skipper enjoyable from series 11/12. Though my favourite of the two back-to-back filmed series was Give and Take, Skipper is the best from series 12 IMHO. But I must say I thought the "Everybody is alive Arnold" gag was superb. True it was recalling an old joke but the fact that it was inverting it made it successful IMHO and fitting for this triumphant 30th anniversary piece. Additionally, although the second half of Skipper is epic, the first part with the opposites gags was still really good and a decent build up and I enjoyed both the scenes with Cat-Lister and Kryten-Rimmer.

7. Asclepius

Asclepius Console Officer

Again, the show can't ignore it's history and it's good, when it works with it's history.
    They did couple recalls to good old episodes. It wozld be much worse if they genuinenly stole some plots from them...

UltraDevotee likes this.
  8. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

When i first heard they were gonna bring back alot the Series 1 stuff for that episode i got nervous because i feel Doug gets abit carried away, but i don't mind when it makes sense to do it and feels natural. Although abit of subtlety also helps. the moment it becomes Red Dwarfs greatest hits... thats an issue IMO.

After all if you are gonna do this sort of story where you have an alternative universe with the crew is still around then its an almost welcome return to see it.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019