RDXII EPISODE 6 - SKIPPER - DISCUSSION THREAD

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Seb, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

Wasn't it originally going to be Timewave? I feel like it has something to do with how many people watched each one, which might be why they also selected Twentica and Samsara.

Asclepius likes this.
  2. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Catering Officer

It’s funny because as I was writing the post that you have replied to above it completely slipped my mind as to how shocked I was when I saw in Radio Times that Timewave was originally going to get the thirtieth anniversary party going! How did I forget that it was the original choice? And yes although I am a fan of Timewave, it is the least strong of series 12 and clearly not an appropriate selection to get the celebrations started as it is simply not a top episode of RD and got a mixed response to put it mildly.

But anyway, I suppose the viewing figures could be considered a sort of logical way for Dave to make the 30th anniversary night episode selections and generally there was enough old faves and surprises included though clearly Timewave would have been an anomaly.

However, if Timewave was deselected at the eleventh hour surely by that rationale of audience numbers then of series 12 episodes why was Cured or Siliconia not chosen anyway? Obviously because Skipper pulled in the lowest numbers due to being last broadcast then that was not going to be included and I agree that kind of makes sense. But anyway, apart from Skipper for me the other standouts of series 12 were Cured, Siliconia and Mechocracy. So the latter was a decent choice as it is classic Dwarf highlighting the great Red Dwarf character-based humour and interaction between mainly just the four of them on ship and so therefore being a quintessential Red Dwarf episode and appropriate to kick things off with a recent one too. Some Dwarfers felt that the second half of last year’s run was the strongest so in terms of the logic of choosing by viewing figures Mechocracy makes it because although it did not quite make the 1 million mark it was the most seen of the the final three and clearly a fan favourite.

So although I wish ideally that Skipper had got a higher number of viewers to satisfy the rationale behind the choices anything other from series 12 out of episodes 1 (classic dark series 5/6-esque Dwarf), 2 (perhaps the best looking episode of RD ever) and 4 were excellent decisions to broadcast. Bottom line, would have preferred Skipper even more as its the 30th anniversary party piece but Mechocracy was a very decent choice too, satisfying and so much better than Timewave!

3. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

Ideally the "call-backs" to the show's history would have been spread more evenly through each series. What happened is for years Red Dwarf had no sense of history at all, where every episode was nicely wrapped up at the end and thrown down the memory hole never to matter again, and then in XII Doug decided it was a good idea to take stock and acknowledge that we the viewers remember everything that's happened even if the characters seem not to.

4. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Honestly that was probably better IMO because when the characters bring up things we have seen then it makes the show feel tired and dependant on hey remember that classic moment?.

The show survived for several seasons with very few call backs and thats probably because they are mostly there for fan service.

Especially 11 and 12 with stuff like bringing up uncle frank again which feels so lazy since rather than create a different NEW event to use for Rimmers password we go back to one from series 3 so you can scrape that classic gag barrel.

I am also tired of the characters bringing up the OM song tbh

Well apart from skipper and Ace Rimmer as Doug pretty much went through the whole idea of multiple universes again.

I am glad he didn't bring up Ace though because it would tell the audience he was out of ideas.

5. Asclepius

Asclepius Deck Sergeant

Something for you, @talkie3000.
    Source

I think it isn't bad, when they remind the history a bit. It' one of longest running TV series, you can't ignore its past!
    I know series XII has maybe too much callbacks, but Skipper (absolutely callbacks episode) is the most popular one in Dave era.

Also, other older series are full of callbacks. Remember the instant bringing Ace or Dwayne back in VI - VIII. Despair squid was brought back twice in Nanarchy and Back to Earth. Talkie toaster was also reunited in IV...

Red Dwarf works with its history all the time and it's just good old nostalgia. But there's still plenty of new ideas.

And the last thing: It's still better to mention the history then making a new history as in series X.

Abe and The Cat like this.
  6. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Alot of it is not necessary though, its just fan service.

I know there are alot of people who get all excited for call backs but thats purely because of the nostalgia and i dunno whether that translates in repeated viewings or whether it just seems forced.

I got all nostalgic and excited when talkie toaster came back in XII but once you get past the nostalgic rush from it you realise that there was no fresh material there, it was just a nostalgic

And yeah i known talkie was already used before series 4 but he was kinda re-invented for series 4.

Yeah there are quite a few like mentioning the polymorph in DNA, the multi reference in Demons and Angels, and Emohawk was a big call back episode. but the shows were never heavy on hey remember this? maybe one or two a series perhaps.

Look at BITR with the sexual magnetism and luck virus, yes its nostalgia that acknowledges the shows history but would have rather a new idea or bring back an old idea and use it in a fresh way?

The luck virus was fairly sloppy used in BITR. It was used as an escape plot device but without the coolness factor that made it work in Quarantine.

Maybe some things should just be left alone.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
  7. Asclepius

Asclepius Deck Sergeant

Abe likes this.
  8. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Asclepius likes this.
  9. Rageofangels

Rageofangels First Technician

I for one was pleased Ace didn't come back. First time was great, but since then I've been less than interested.

10. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Yeah I don't wanna see Ace come back either.

I was fine with him in polymorph 2 but I felt Stoke me a clipper kinda ruined the character in several ways even if it was just trying to be ambitious with the idea of Ace Rimmer.

Same with Duane dibbley actually, the dibbley family seemed like a step to far

11. Eddiebadassdavis

Eddiebadassdavis Catering Officer

when I first found out about Skipper I thought it would be a Ace Rimmer episode.

12. Pembers

Pembers Console Officer

I did too, ‘Skipper’ Rimmer Dimension Jumping? Had to be didn’t it?

13. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Interestingly (to me, anyway) 'Skipper' is also Ace's nickname for Lister. I wonder if Doug chose that title to provide a bit of misdirection?

Pembers likes this.
  14. Eddiebadassdavis

How did i become 2nd tec

15. Eddiebadassdavis

Did someone dmomote me
    im a junior stand in officer of Red Dwarf!

16. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

You got promoted from Skutter, I think.

17. Eddiebadassdavis

Damn we should have had Kotchanski in that epeisode same with Hatti

18. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

I don't really understand where the line is between a "callback" and a legitimate recurrence because they're the same characters on the same ship in the same universe and actions have consequences. It makes it feel more solid, rather than the characters getting some kind of memory-wipe after every episode.

I loved seeing Talkie Toaster. Because presumably he is still on-board somewhere. He's a recurring character, lots of shows have recurring characters. If he was in every episode no one would mind, but because he comes and goes he's a "callback". I don't think he's any more a callback than Lister himself. I'd like to see some background callbacks, like have Snacky or Sim Crawford in the background. They're still on-board, aren't they?

19. Asclepius

Asclepius Deck Sergeant

Well, they aren't in Skipper.

Abe likes this.