EPISODE 5 - M-CORP - DISCUSSION THREAD

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Seb, Nov 2, 2017.

1. Baby Jesus

Baby Jesus Console Officer

OK, I probably see what do you mean. It isn't said explicitly, but we do get the information. I still think this would not fix the problem with Lister losing his memory. It's too rushed story to the end with only reason - remake the "Ganymede and Titan" scene.

2. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Catering Officer

I am pleased to say that when I watched M-Corp yesterday afternoon, I actually enjoyed it even more than previous viewings. Perhaps this is due to the fact that I upgraded my Windows 10 system before I watched it and that put me in the right mood for the theme of it. All the invisible stuff was fantastic visually to witness and conveyed the isolation in space similar to the earlier Dwarfs. It is a very heavy science episode like one from series 4-6 and in a way it is quite like The Inquisitor in that it is more concentrated on plotting than laughs but is still sufficiently comedic. I notice throughout series 12 there are obviously re-used classic lines/gags - Uncle Frank and the Red Dwarf opening scene in this episode - but I feel they work because there is still quite a lot of great new material from Doug and it was fun to have some memories revived ahead of the 30th anniversary.

I even like the scene with Chippy talking and it just such a tight, sophisticated plot from Doug - similar to one like I said from the glory days. I thought Helen George was fantastic as the M-Corp and although the first pay-off in which she is defeated is very simple, I was not bothered by that so much this time and I suppose the gag is the extreme capitalist is defeated swiftly by capitalism.

Possibly if that was the sole resolution, that could still be considered anti-climactic but what prevents this spectacularly is the Chippy inside Lister carrying the M-Corp virus pay off. That really is intelligent writing from Doug and I love not just the Ganymede and Titan song revival but also the harking back to Back to Reality when Kryten communicates to Lister by a higher frequency via Chippy. It is such a highly smart script and I am glad I appreciated it more on this fourth watching. The only thing that prevents it from being total classic Dwarf is the fact that I enjoyed 3 other episodes in series 12 even more but it is very, very nearly in that bracket, probably even better than Mechocracy and I would now rate it at 8.75 out of 10.

Oh well...last episode of the Dwarfathon next which I will probably watch tomorrow because my team, Liverpool, plays tonight in Europe but that Ganymede and Titan final scene has got me in the right mindset for it.

Baby Jesus likes this.
  3. Baby Jesus

Baby Jesus Console Officer

I didn't noticed it's possible refference to Back to Reality!
    I love M-Corp, but the ending makes it worse.

4. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Catering Officer

It is funny because really on first broadcast back in 2017 I wasn't too impressed with M-Corp as I ashamedly had my mind on something else when watching. I was helping my family choose a holiday cottage in the Cairngorms National Park in the Scottish Highlands and as it was still not definitely booked by the time M-Corp was on Dave, I was thinking more about whether someone else had booked it first rather than on the episode.

But anyway, a year and a half on, M-Corp really impressed me much more and it has gone up from an 8.1 to 8.75 out of 10, like I said. I really "get it" now and I am one who also adores the end and finds it ingenious.