Episode 1 - Trojan

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by PFMC84, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Okay. Finished seeing second viewing and, yep, I enjoyed it. I think I quite enjoyed it the first time really, I was just focussing too much on the differences.

2. betelgeuse

betelgeuse Catering Officer

My opinion on the first episode of the new series =
    pretty darn good and not half bad -
    Ok it wasn't as funny as the mid series were, but there were actually some laugh out loud moments - I thought writing for the CAT was definately on form - the bit where they're all involved in the confrontation with the simulant and CAT walks past the doorway trying to use the map of the Trojan is brilliant. I'm impressed with the aesthetics of this series as well - ok some could argue it's become abit americanised and maybe abit sort of Big Bang Theory....but then again what the hell is wrong with that! - I do miss the dingy neonesque lighting of the mid series - even if they stuck it in the cockpit - and maybe that might still occur when the ship/starbug is at panic stations.

On the whole I am happy with the first episode just as watchable as Big Bang Theory so A-OK in my book - and the guys look older, but in costume and makeup you forget that, especially when they're acting is on form, as it is.

3. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

still feel the plot was full of holes and flaws which bugs me a little but id class the episode as watchable overall, in same league as the best of series 7 with a hint of 6 lol

4. SimplePlan2k8

SimplePlan2k8 Third Technician

I saw this when it was filmed (yes I was the one laughing throughout it) and got to say, it was even better tonight. Felt a lot more succinct and the jokes more on the point. Although they missed out a further Gerald Hampton gag that I still feel would have worked well.

Nonetheless, it's a superb return to form for Dwarf, and while I agree the tone feels a bit different, I think that's more to do with the way in which it has been filmed and the limited number of sets as opposed to being a massive shift in writing. So far, so good :-)

5. Ally1990

Ally1990 First Technician

I've watched it three times and I'm bumping my earlier rating up to 8/10.

Some points on third viewing: the model shots look fantastic and Rimmer does swear, but who cares?

Favourite run:
    Rimmer [about Kryten]: I like working with the underprivileged, Howard. The down and out, the deranged and needy. When we found Kryten he was a burnt out wreck on a junk heap.
    Howard: And you rescued him. Gave him something to live for.
    Rimmer: No, we just hosed him down and gave him a hat.

The look on Kryten's face is priceless.

6. TheSmeggingPasty

TheSmeggingPasty Third Technician

Another thing I noticed is that the cast don't look half as old as they have done in the pre-release material.
    Maybe this was a tactic to ease us in to the older dwarfers.

Then again, I watched the series IV episode right before hand and honestly didn't even notice or think about the age difference.

7. TheSmeggingPasty

I don't think he does. It sounded like "sh*t" but I'm prety sure it was something else.
    Howards use of "tw*t" was pretty well placed though I think.

8. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

i agree the lister shopping channel stuff didn't really add anything to the plot, alot of that time should have been put on finding out why rimmer brother was a hologramme and why he was there ect ect

9. ghastly98

ghastly98 First Technician

Its episodes like this that remind me why I love Red Dwarf so much.

Think of it: This is Red Dwarf. This isn't a Red Dwarf special, this is Red Dwarf. This is the classic series, continued.

10. jakeharold

jakeharold Skutter

Right, I;ve just got back from wathing the new episode another three time on my Tivo.

It was fantastic. Anyone that read my first review earlier in this thread can take those negative thoughts as a result of excitement/nervousness. Watching the ep again a few times has made me come to appreciate it. The fact that they aren't alarmed there's a stimulant on board doesn't bother me as much, and the fact they don't explain anything doesn't bother me anymore either.

On first watch, some of the jokes felt forced. Now i think this was just me forcing myself to enjoy the jokes, instead of just letting them be funny.

The writing felt like it was getting back to old dwarf for me now. And I'm really looking forward to the coming episodes. If this first ep hasn't really made you smile, i suggest watching it another couple of times.

One thing that does concern me is the ships computer in the next episode. Why are her head and shoulders on screen?? I mean, I'm all for some queeg throw back, but please no neck and shoulders.

11. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Which part of the episode is this?

12. TheSmeggingPasty

Towards the end of the first half I think. Rimmer is reading a letter at the table.

13. Ally1990

Right after Rimmer gets the letter. He starts bashing it and calling his brother a cancerous/cantankerous (?) piece of *mumble* that sounds like sh*t.

14. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

Didn't rimmer say in rimmerworld that all his brothers died of heart attacks or strokes etc? Maybe he knew Howard was dead and a hologram already.

15. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

i think he said "sick"

16. Ally1990

Sorry to carry this on. He says:

"You'll never succeed at anything you cancerous sack of ----".

Turn up the volume. He does say it. I don't know how you'd get a sack of sick. It's making me sick thinking about it.

17. jakeharold

jakeharold Skutter

To my ears, he said sick, and I've watched the ep about 4 times now.

I'll be honest, I would really have liked him to have said 'smeg-head' rather than 'twat'.

18. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

sorry to differ but I'm sure its "sick" i can hear the "ck" at the end and there's no "sh" sound at the start.

19. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I've just listening to it a few times and it's sick. There's no 'sh' sound in there.

20. Ally1990

I'm gonna put it on (I have it on record) and check the subtitles. Sounds like a swear but I agree it doesn't make it one.