Detailed specifications of Red Dwarf spacecraft?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by ridgerunner, Jan 8, 2012.

1. ridgerunner

ridgerunner Skutter

It apparently has a length of from 3 to 6 miles, but what is its mass?

Other detailed specs would be nice too.

Inquiring minds need to know!

2. ori-STUDFARM

ori-STUDFARM Supply Officer

It is 6 miles long, 3 miles wide and 4 miles high....(assuming we are talking about the original version....the long Season VIII pencil design is different.....) Being constructed in space, aerodynamics weren't considered important when designing the ship. Also, being constructed in space, it has and never has had any kind of weight.

However, even existing in a weightless environment, it should have a mass....which I don't know!

You were expecting an answer there....for which I can only apologise

3. SixthDwarfer

SixthDwarfer Supply Officer

A few background tech specifications are give in the novel 'Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers'.

The shuttlecock looking thing at the front of the ship is the scoop. It's job is to suck hydrogen from the currents of space and convert it into fuel, theoretically making the ship capable of travelling forever. Also, on paper the ship has a maximum speed of 200,000 miles per hour. However, if left to accelerate for three million years, the ship will eventually pick up enough speed to break the light barrier and travel faster than light. Due to the size of the ship, it's construction took several decades. Although it is never explicitly stated what a drive plate is (presumably, some form of radiation protection screen), the faulty repair of one can cause a Cadmium II radiation leak. According to the novel, the accident happened thus: A warning light in the Drive Room failed to go off and a further three warning lights were ignored as they were believed to be due to somebody spilling a cup of coffee on a computer console. Because the warning was ignored, this caused the Cadmium II coolant system to stop working. After ten minutes, the core reached critical mass and unleashed the deadly radiation with the level of a neutron bomb.

4. ridgerunner

ridgerunner Skutter

Hey thanks guys. I've been a fan for a long time. (It's been playing on our local PBS station here in Salt Lake City UT, USA every Saturday night at 10pm for the last 15+ years.) Got hooked back in the 90's. I'm pretty sure that I've seen every episode. Just today I was looking for a large spacecraft to use in a Physics related story problem and got to thinking about Lister and the gang. A quick google found this web site. Very delighted to see that a new season is in the works. Woo Hoo!

Decided to order the full DVD set from Amazon. Maybe there are more details about the RedDwarf specs in one of the special featurettes...

I can certainly compute an estimate for its weight/mass, but it would be nice if there was a published value somewhere.

Smoke me a kipper!...

5. ori-STUDFARM

ori-STUDFARM Supply Officer

You probably find slightly more detail in the novels....especially the first. Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers