DAVE to get on-demand streaming

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by karnie, Sep 6, 2012.

1. SoundableObject

SoundableObject Catering Officer

Except by watching via Dave it would mean money enters UKTV's kitty (presumably they'll have ads during the episode). Of all the illegal acts, it is the most admirable! :lol:

2. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

That was certainly my line of thought. As a BBC licence payer I've used proxys to watch i-player abroad and felt no guilt, nor should I. I know why the lockout was designed in that case, and it wasn't to stop licence payers watching.
    I don't even see the purpose of regional lockout for a free to air, advert sponsored product. Would be happy to be enlightened though if anyone can do so...

3. karnie

karnie Supply Officer

This. I'm not looking to "pirate" the show (not to mention open my computer up to viruses via the torrents), I just want to see it when the UK does, and I'm not sure why that's a no-no, unless it has to do with licenses, etc. It's not such a big deal as the DVD's will be released a month later, and I can hold off on that section of the book until then, I'd just hate to have to avoid the forums for two months while the show airs.

4. acerimmer_165

acerimmer_165 Supply Officer

And you certainly shouldn't feel any guilt. You pay the licence fee, and deserve that service.

I always thought that broadcasters pay the overlords* of the TV show in question to broadcast certain content in specific regions. These overlords get paid separately by different broadcasters in different countries. Broadcasters can't legally breach their UK-only contract and if they do the TV show loses profits.

*may not be the official term

5. karnie

karnie Supply Officer

OK, that actually makes sense. Now the question becomes: who if anyone is going to broadcast it here in the U.S.? PBS is the most likely, but nothing is showing up on their website. I'm also starting to worry about the DVDs, since the U.S. Amazon.com has not yet started advertising pre-orders for it yet.

6. acerimmer_165

acerimmer_165 Supply Officer

Gooooooogle???

7. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Admirable?!? Who cares about UKTV's kitty?!? :roll:

8. SoundableObject

People who want to support a company who are the only company willing to put the money forth to produce a new series of the best TV show ever. :roll:

9. simulant37

Red Dwarf isn't "the best TV show ever" :roll:

10. Smegerama

Smegerama Supply Officer

If one more person uses that eye-rolling smiley my brain is going to explode.

11. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

Tempting but I'll think I'll be a nice guy for today

12. simulant37

[​IMG]

13. SoundableObject

I did post but I deleted it. I'm either responding to somebody who oh so enjoys getting other people in a tizz or who has some emotional instability problems. Either way they are best to just be left as white noise from now on.

14. karnie

karnie Supply Officer

Yes, which is why I said PBS is the most likely.... like I said, however, nothing is showing up on PBSs site yet, therefore the question is still left unanswered. But thanks anyway! {{{Obligatory rolling eyes emoticon here}}}

15. ojhilt

ojhilt Skutter

The world of tv broadcast licencing is thick, deep and sticky as far as I can tell from my corner of the Dave-arium, many a legal mind works tirelessly day and night to get things like American shows brought over here and vice-versa, accidently allowing a program to be viewed in a region before the guy who paid a boat load of change for it can broadcast it causes something of a headache. Needless to say the Dave vod offering will be region locked I'm afraid!

16. blaggard

blaggard First Technician

Of course - it is a bit frustrating, though, when we've had a drip feed of news suggesting that it will be getting shown in the US, but without any further details.

Although I'm sure there are differences, it was good to see the new Doctor Who series being broadcast here on the same day as it did in the UK. Same time, I think - although with a time-difference induced delay. (main difference between that and RDX is that Dr. Who was broadcast on a channel owned by the BBC)

Can't really speak for any other US-based people, but showing the new season a day or two after the Dave shows have broadcast would be tolerable. Waiting 8-10 weeks would (to use a local phrase) 'suck ass'.

[edit - typo, grammar]