Currently...

Discussion in 'THE AIGBURTH ARMS' started by Seb, May 4, 2017.

1. neilold

neilold Science Officer

No you don't understand. Just because you, or the moderators on this site, find a word offensive, doesn't mean I should do. It's called personal freedom.

2. Cloud

Cloud Flight Co-Ordinator

Neil thats not how racist terms like what you said work. Just because you don't find it offensive doesn't mean you are free to post it. You don't belong to that race and even if you did you dont speak for all of them so it doesn't matter of you yourself were offended or not the general consensus is that what you posted was bad.

3. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Console Officer

...and just because you don't find a word offensive doesn't mean it isn't. A bit of common sense and common courtesy when it comes to how things will be perceived goes a long way since whether a word is offensive is entirely in the eyes or ears of the beholders. I mean you must have realised given the historical context behind the use of that word that it would have come over as outdated and more than a little racist I'd hope, so given the wide range of inoffensive options available in the English language why not pick one of those instead?

Abe, Nikki the Great and jmc2000 like this.
  4. Nikki the Great

Nikki the Great Flight Co-Ordinator

Of course you personally won't find a word that would never apply to you, as (an openly racist) white man, offensive. But you're not grasping that racism isn't about what the perpetrator finds offensive.

You've got a funny idea of "personal freedom". Surely even you understand you can't just go around doing whatever you want and not be called to account for it? I might fancy one of my neighbours' cars, but doesn't mean just cos I want it and wouldn't be personally offended by me stealing it, that it's ok if I cry "personal freedom!"

Hate speech is a crime in this country you profess to love so much. Offensive terms used to categorise ethnic minorities IS hate speech.

This keeps on happening Neil. When will you learn?

Abe and Asclepius like this.
  5. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

Even id it were acceptable for daily use, free speech still doesn't apply in somebody else's private space. If I walked into your house and said that I wanted to beat you up and take all your granola bars and you asked me to leave I couldn't just say "but freeze peach! !" and suddenly I'm allowed to be in your house. Free speech doesn't equal free speech without repercussions.

Cloud and Nikki the Great like this.
  6. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

You just need to avoid things that are likely to cause offence. Personally, I do like most of your threads. Some can result in good discussions.

Cloud and Nikki the Great like this.
  7. neilold

neilold Science Officer

I obviously have different views than the rest of you, each to their own

8. Nikki the Great

It's not a case of "each to their own" on things like this. It's simply unacceptable. Just stop doing it eh?

Simonr1978, Abe and Cloud like this.
  9. Cloud

Neil posting things that the majority finds offensive and racist just cause you dont is not a "each to their own" situation. Just don't do it.

Simonr1978, Nikki the Great and Abe like this.
  10. Cloud

Me and Nikz thinking the same thinkz at the same time there

Nikki the Great, Pembers and Abe like this.
  11. Nikki the Great

Omg why does this keep happening? :lol:

12. Cloud

It would make sense that the only two people on the Neil cool list would be the smartest and think the same genius thoughts.

Nikki the Great likes this.
  13. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

Currently wondering whether the forum has a thread about Red Dwarf production trivia. Anyone?

14. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Console Officer

Doesn't give you carte blanche to use racist language. Racist is racist, it's really not a matter of opinion.

Not as such as far as I'm aware, there was a chain-quiz thread which covered some pretty obscure stuff in the pre-upgrade forum though.

Nikki the Great and Cloud like this.
  15. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

Finally learnt to keep your nose out then

16. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

Currently wondering what it takes to get @Seb to take some sort of action against the lack of people using this forum. We are heading for a disaster!

Abe and Cloud like this.
  17. Cloud

Hey look it's the long missing Ant. We assumed he had joined Tex Rimmer and Kry10 in forum heaven

Abe likes this.
  18. Asclepius

Asclepius Deck Sergeant

I hope Kry10 is in forum (or silicon) hell for deleting all his posts. :sulk::sulk::sulk:

But welcome back, @Ant E, anyway! :-)

Ant E likes this.
  19. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

He's back. Should I be happy or sad?

20. Nikki the Great

I dreamed that @Ant E returned to the forum last night. I am clearly psychic. But enough about me, welcome back @Ant E!