RDXII Countdown to Series XII

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Callisto252, Jun 22, 2017.

1. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

Shame @NornIronRDFan (I mean Norman Lovett) ruined the surprise really. But great photo.

2. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

[​IMG]
    Glad they made at least an effort to make him look younger by darkening his hair but you can't really hide that he has aged unfortunately

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
  3. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

Man in "looking 18 years older" shock-horror

4. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

Is this the first time Holly has appeared on a widescreen, LCD TV?!?!?!

5. dibbleysmeghead

dibbleysmeghead Second Technician

This is great news. Age or how much he's aged doesn't really matter in the world of RD. Alright dudes!

6. Pembers

Pembers Console Officer

7. Pembers

Pembers Console Officer

Happy about this, Holly is part of Red Dwarf folklore.

8. Callisto252

Callisto252 Supply Officer

Agree, it would have been far better if this could have been kept secret! Oh well.

No mention of the on-line preview date so far, do we know whether this is going to happen? (I do hope not)

FeeBee, ClareGC and Ant E like this.
  9. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

I assume it will be on UKTV on the 5th of October. And I further assume that Holly will appear in Skipper.

Skipper sounds like the one that's most to do with the overall plot/history of Red Dwarf. It's also the finale. They've said Holly is returning in one episode, so it can't be any other. Why would Holly return in one episode and then disappear again. It'll be the perfect tease for XIII. It's Nanarchy all over again.

dibbleysmeghead likes this.
  10. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

I really wish they didn't announce this.

One thing I will give Back To Earth credit for is its use of Kochanski. She was in it fleetingly, and not teased beforehand - Chloe's appearance was a secret, and it worked. In my opinion, at least.

Now, I just feel Norman's return has been cheapened. I'm still not sure how I feel about the return of Holly - any Holly - to the show. Is a computer-character really needed any more? How will they fit in amongst the crew in the show now? Will Holly be a regular character in upcoming series? What kind of material will they have (after all, Holly was a bit rubbish in series 8 - but then, he was arguably one of the best bits about series 8).

I also wish I hadn't known about this 7 months ago when they blabbed it to all and sundry at the Australian conferences.

11. Cloud

Cloud Flight Co-Ordinator

Well 1) Norm spoiled he was coming back to anyone that would listen. Also the clapper board from when it was filmed. This was pretty obvious.

and B) From the sounds of it, I am going to assume its a parallel dimension Holly and this wont be him back. The screen he is on is very grey, it probably goes along with that original series looking Rimmer we seen.

FeeBee, Asclepius and Ant E like this.
  12. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

They are using his return to boost hype for the new series so you can probably guess why he is back ;p

13. Pembers

Pembers Console Officer

Yes I agree with Cloudy, I think it's an alternate dimension where he wasn't water logged. I reckon we might see one or two other familiar faces in that ep. Hollister and Killcrazy perhaps.

14. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Killcrazy did nothing for me, or, I think, the show. With a name like "Skipper", and the synopsis, Ace is implied. Skipper might explain which Rimmer we've been watching since BtE.

FeeBee and Ant E like this.
  15. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

I think it'll not be an Ace ep - just looking at Listers alternative!

FeeBee likes this.
  16. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

I can't help but think the last episode of XII will be the one of Rimmer in the series 1 outfit.

Mostly because Doug will want to end on a cool note.

FeeBee, ClareGC and Ant E like this.
  17. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

Agree! From a review of the live show I believe it includes a flash back!

18. dibbleysmeghead

dibbleysmeghead Second Technician

There was a similar discussion around the recent series of Doctor Who when the BBC revealed that John Simm's Master was returning but it would have been so much better to keep it a secret and reveal it in the show.

The problem with this is the same as with Holly, it puts the producers in a catch-22; you either carry on and hope people missed the Norm leaks or you announce it yourself and make it more official. The third rational is the drumming up of excitement in the run up to the show which in this case obviously out-weighs the importance of a nice reveal in the episode which people already knew about anyway thanks to Norm and now I've gone cross eyed.

19. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Given that chris looks older and rimmer is a different rank in that photo i don't think its meant to be a flashback.

20. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

I reckon the Cat-underwater picture might be the flooding incident that took Holly offline, as a flashback or time-travel.

FeeBee, Pembers and Ant E like this.