RDXI Countdown to Series XI

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Callisto252, May 31, 2016.

1. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

Bluey, please confirm the trailer date...

2. Pembers

Pembers Console Officer

Doug was also asked about a broadcast date for Series XII (Hope I'm allowed to mention this here) which can be seen below.

Dougs Tweet

3. Callisto252

Callisto252 Supply Officer

A trailer must be fairly imminent as now there are only 3 weeks and two days to go! Those lucky people going to the showing in Edinburgh tomorrow will be going in completely unspoilered (if that's a word).

Re: the Series XII date, isn't that what most people were expecting? I wouldn't want it to be any sooner really - love all the new series anticipation and don't want all that to be over just yet. I'm pretty sure Doug's 'November' comment was a joke (although I hope it wasn't!).

Oh and also, Craig Charles was talking about the new series on the radio this morning (he's doing the breakfast show on 6music for a couple of weeks) and he mentioned that some aspects of it could be 'quite controversial'. Wonder what he means by that?

4. Diet_coke

Diet_coke Science Officer

How can you be so sure?

5. Pembers

Pembers Console Officer

I reckon he was serious. IF there are to be further series, writing them in 2016/17 sounds sensible. Lets say he writes series XIII and XIV by the end of next year, filmed over 2018/19 to be broadcast in 2019/20. 2 years after XII finishes, sounds about right to me.

Alternatively, just writes one series (XIII) by middle of 2017, filmed early 2018, broadcast late 2018.

6. Callisto252

Callisto252 Supply Officer

I'm not ('pretty sure' was probably the wrong choice of words there), but it seems just a little bit too specific. Comes across as a deadpan joke to me, but then deadpan's very hard to detect online (particularly with no emojis around to help). Mind you, he appears to give a straight answer to the Series XII question, so...who knows!

Thinking about it though, would UKTV even consider commissioning Series XIII before XI has gone out? Or is Doug perhaps feeling very confident that they will?

7. mychemicaldwarf

mychemicaldwarf Second Technician

Red Dwarf must be their most popular show? It's hard to imagine viewing figures declining, 6 shows every year or two doesn't have much chance of going stale. The only way they wouldn't want to keep making more is if they didn't have the money to do it i guess. i don't know how much it costs to make Dwarf, but it can't be cheap. The only other shows they seem to c'mish are 4 or 5 c-list celebs sitting around talking to each other. Then again, they have other channels i've never even seen so maybe they spend more money than i think!

8. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

I don't think Doug was joking since I think he would have said more then just "November" if he was, just saying November is hardly joke material.

And he hasn't exactly said 12 would be the last so it's possible, let's just hope if that's the case that the new series is better then 10 as I would rather not have 3 more 10's if I am honest.

Also I think they would have to do it soon if they do since the cast are still getting older.

9. Diet_coke

Why is that such a problem? Its not the Simpsons. Surely it would seem stranger if they were on series 12 and still look as young as they did in series 1?

10. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

No.

11. EmoSmeg

EmoSmeg Third Technician

Do you think they're maybe a chance of bringing Hattie AND Norman back as Holly?

Not necessarily 'On-screen' at the same time. But alternating between the two?

12. DivineVarod

DivineVarod Supply Officer

I'm thinking anniversary??!

13. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

Why is this? :x

14. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

I imagine Seb can't confirm the date of the trailer either for legal reasons, because the date could change, because he doesn't want to, or all of the above. I'd say all of the above.

As for Doug saying he'll be looking at starting writing RDXIII in November - that doesn't necessarily mean RDXIII is confirmed, either now or in November. Didn't Doug say he started RDXI and RDXII pretty early? Think he just wants to get out ahead of the game.

15. longusernamebecausetheforumwantsone

longusernamebecausetheforumwantsone Second Technician

If you think about it from a TV production standpoint, they could have kicked this "round" of Dwarf off with two series filmed back-to-back, if they were planning to continue the show on a yearly basis. Get two seasons filmed and in the can, and then while you're airing s11, you're writing s13. Filming on s13 could happen anytime in 2017, so that hopefully by the time s12 has aired or is airing, s13 is ready and in the can. If the show is still going to continue, s14 could be written around the time of s12 airing or shortly thereafter, and the cycle continues.

That's probably how I'd do it if I were planning on keeping the series alive for a bit. It ensures you'll have episodes out on a regular schedule and without odd several years-long delays.

16. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

But you're assuming that people are going to watch two series across two years? The series could bomb.

Why would Doug waste time writing a non commissioned series?

17. Diet_coke

Cos he's a writer?

18. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

*A paid writer..

DAVE will be thinking from a business point of view...

19. Diet_coke

I think this discussion about Doug writing a new series in November is silly. Perhaps he should have monkey tennis scripted out just in case he needs to pitch it to Dave..:roll: (emoticon used with no intended connection to past forum members, if you will)

20. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

I'm insulted!