RDXI Countdown to Series XI

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Callisto252, May 31, 2016.

1. Madwolf

Madwolf Catering Officer

They look better than they did in Out of Time :lol::lol::lol:[/quote]

Maybe not Lister :-D

2. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Console Officer

Great pictures, I'm loving the Kryten look in what must be Twentica. I just can't wait for XI to air now. I'm really looking forward to it. 8)

3. Callisto252

Callisto252 Supply Officer

That look really suits Kryten - think it's the hat that does it!

Something's just occurred to me - the title Twentica surely refers to the 1920s version of America in which the episode appears to be set? Thinking about it, it can't actually be set in the Twenties because there wasn't much technology to outlaw then, so it must be set in a future/alternative society modelled on the Twenties. By the way, I've looked it up and there was a Star Trek episode where they visit a planet based on a 1920s gangster society, A Piece of the Action. Possible inspiration?

4. Diet_coke

Diet_coke Science Officer

There's pictures being thrown around on Twitter, all very intriguing!

5. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

New pictures? Can you post them on here if possible?

6. Diet_coke

To be honest, I hadn't been paying much attention to this thread, just a flick back and seems the pictures I've seen are already on this thread, indeed.

7. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

They're all in the new gallery, linked to in the news section!

8. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I know about those ones. Harry was just confusing me by making me think there were some even newer pictures not in the gallery.

9. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

Hardly Harry's fault :roll:

10. sundayforsammy

I remember watching a star trek episode like you mention but I thought it was Captain Picard on the holodeck in a role play game ?
    I think it may be time for a RD marathon session before the new series airs next month :-)

Edit- Just looked the Picard one up and it is called 'The Big Goodbye' I also looked up the Kirk one you say and can remember that one as well.

11. Callisto252

Yeah haven't seen the Picard one, was never that much a fan of TNG (loved the original too much). I remember liking the episode because it had lots of really comic moments, like Spock and Kirk's attempts to drive a car. Actually, seeing Kryten in that outfit and sitting in the 1920s car is what put me in mind of the Star Trek ep, with Spock wearing a similarly redundant disguise (no hiding those ears!).

Anyway it's obviously too early to draw any comparisons, but I wouldn't be surprised if Doug had these episodes in mind when writing Twentica - didn't he and Rob Grant watch Sci-fi Westerns for inspiration prior to writing Gunmen?

12. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Norman lovett was on radio saltire and was asked about finishing his time on the show and Norman said well he wasn't quite done with the show yet saying he ain't sure he can say anything but brought up there is 11 and 12 coming to dave.

At the end of the interview he also said "i already think i said to much, i probably shouldn't have said that"

I think its possible he could make an appearance in either 11 or 12.

Norman also doesn't sound bitter like he did a few years ago.

https://twitter.com/Kev_h80/status/767371510436786176

13. PFMC84

PFMC84 Catering Officer

Ooh, very interesting. It would be nice to see Holly back at some point, maybe not as a permanent character but at least a one episode appearance. I would have preferred if it was Hattie though, but still, at least the character could be back.

He may be in trouble for that interview if Holly is back!

14. Oddheads

Oddheads Second Technician

I dunno, at this point I think Norman works better as Holly due to the character already turning back into a male once. Going back into the female Holly form again would just be confusing, what with that kind of back-and-forth.

15. Callisto252

One month to go! Or three weeks and three days to go! (this thread should really be renamed 'Countdowns to Series XI' :? )

I've still not made my mind up when to watch. Think I'll definitely have a peek as soon as it's out, but if the quality's not so good I'll wait for the TV broadcast. I was actually hoping the series might start a little later anyway and continue into November (to make that dreary month a little less rubbish).

It's quite surprising that we've got so close to broadcast and not seen any clips yet - with series X, the first trailer came out on 20th July. Perhaps they thought they gave away too much too soon last time and are being more careful with what is released for XI. Surely we're not too far away from a big publicity drive though?

16. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

17. sundayforsammy

Yeah, I always thought it would make sense to film clips that are made just for promo, just a few action clips loosely based on the series but not giving anything away from the actual episodes.

Anyway, I'm counting day by day for the return of Red Dwarf now. :-)

18. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

Think about it from the perspective of the more casual audience, though: a trailer has got to grab a watching audience on Dave, who may not already be aware the show is coming, and say "This show is funny, you should watch it". The best way to do this is with gags/moments from the actual episodes.

19. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

Seb, please confirm the trailer date....

20. Diet_coke

am I missing something? Wouldn't that be for Dave to decide, therefore a question for Dave? :?