Conspiracy Theories

Discussion in 'THE AIGBURTH ARMS' started by Pembers, Mar 16, 2018.

1. neilold

neilold Science Officer

Well it may have gravity on its surface. But none of this answers how a planet with such low gravity that you have to wear heavy moonboots can pull the tides about

2. neilold

neilold Science Officer

Another thing. When do people who think the moon landings were faked think someone actually did walk on the moon? Or do they still believe they're being faked even to this day?

3. Underdunn

Underdunn Deck Sergeant

Gravity on its surface? I don't know what you think gravity is or how it works Neil. After two days though I'd really suggest googling 'how does the moon effect tides' for all the answers you seek.

4. neilold

neilold Science Officer

I dunno what I'm waffling on about, that much is obvious

Abe likes this.
  5. Underdunn

Underdunn Deck Sergeant

Well that's okay. But if you are interested, go and educate yourself on it. Can only be a good thing.

6. Underdunn

Underdunn Deck Sergeant

And in answer to your other question...

There are two schools of thought from Moon Landing conspiracy theorists.

One is that we DID go to the moon but it wasn't until the late 70's.
    One is that we STILL haven't been to the moon and all images and photos you see are fake.

Flat-Earthers, of which you were discussing earlier, go a step further and they believe it isn't even possible to go into space. They are convinced that any footage from the ISS we ever see is done on green-screen. If you have a spare ten minutes and fancy a laugh then go to youtube and watch some Flat-Earther's analysis of ISS footage where they point out all the glitches and mistakes the 'actors' make when pretending to float around their space station. It's brilliant. I spent hours on it just last week.

7. neilold

neilold Science Officer

I might do that. Its odd though that they still believe that. Even after all these years if footage in space, do they believe satellite images are false as well? And if so, how do they explain satellite TV, star wars nuclear policy, weather satellites, and that bloke who's financed his own space trips?

8. Underdunn

Underdunn Deck Sergeant

*Clips Neil round the ear* Stop asking on here and go and find out!!!

9. neilold

neilold Science Officer

Sorry sir, slopes away dejectedly:-(:-(:-(

10. Nikki the Great

Nikki the Great Flight Co-Ordinator

Well this thread has certainly amused me!

11. Kittypaws

Kittypaws Flight Co-Ordinator

I do a lot of waffling too....! :lol::redface:;-)

12. neilold

neilold Science Officer

a pair together:-):-):-)

13. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

Trivia time! You know if you built a platform that was as high as the international space station, you could stand on it normally. At that distance, the gravity is still 90% as strong as it is on the earth's surface.

The astronauts are only weightless because they're freefalling (but they're falling in stable circles around the earth, rather than into it).

Abe, Asclepius and Underdunn like this.
  14. Underdunn

Underdunn Deck Sergeant

Oh yeah? And how would you get this platform through the Firmament?!

Honestly, I dont know why i bother sometimes.

15. neilold

neilold Science Officer

also, how would you breathe? You suffer from oxygen deprivation at high altitudes, so how would you cope that high up???

16. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

You'd need a spacesuit. I just mean the gravity would be fine - you could walk around like you would on the Earth's surface.

If you throw a rock, it will follow a curving path towards the ground as gravity pulls it down.

The surface of the Earth also has a curve. Your rock won't travel far enough for that to matter. But the space station is travelling so fast that, as it curves towards the Earth's surface, the ground curves away from it at the same rate. So it's endlessly falling towards the Earth without getting any closer to it. That means it just goes round and round indefinitely.

This diagram is called "Newton's Cannonball". Cannonballs a, b and c all fall towards the surface of the Earth. But cannonball c achieves orbit, because, as it falls towards the Earth, the Earth curves away at the same rate:

[​IMG]

In practice c would be slowed down by air resistance and soon fall to the Earth. But the space station is so high up there isn't any air. That means it can go round and round indefinitely, while someone standing at the same height would feel the effects of gravity and need a platform to stand on. And a rock thrown at the height of the international space station would fall to Earth, just like one thrown in your garden. It's not the height of the space station, but rather its incredible lateral speed, that makes the astronauts weightless.

But you're right - you would need a spacesuit (or an airtight cabin) to survive at that height.

17. Kittypaws

Kittypaws Flight Co-Ordinator

*Spacekitty, wearing an all in one round ball like one a hamster rolls around in, bounces about all over the place*

*everyone can barely hear the squeals*

*bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce*

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

18. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

Well obviously Kittypaws expressed it more concisely, but hopefully people found the diagram helpful, at least.

Kittypaws, Nikki the Great and Cloud like this.
  19. Cloud

Cloud Flight Co-Ordinator

I thought the diagram could have been more sexual but in general I liked it

Nikki the Great likes this.
  20. neilold

neilold Science Officer

I liked the diagram, but found the earth being green disturbing, we all know, that its blue with brown earth lumps stuck to it, and should be referred to as watery bally thingy