Confused - why did they not go into Stasis?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by robby9, Sep 17, 2010.

1. robby9

robby9 Skutter

Hi everyone, I joined to ask this question but as I have just bought the Red Dwarf complete set of DVD's I'll be around here for a while and look forward to getting to know you all.

I've watched 5 episodes so far but am confused: in series 1, episode 2 'Future Echoes', Dave and the Cat are going to go into stasis rather than spend 3million years whilst Red Dwarf flies back to earth...the thing is they get ready but never go into stasis and (I watched it twice in case I missed something), it never gets explained why they don't go into stasis???????:?:

2. pole85

pole85 First Technician

I think because Lister realized he was gonna have kids and in order to do that he couldn't go into stasis

3. brautigan

brautigan Third Technician

Well if you've only just started watching Red Dwarf you're going to have to get used to massive plotholes and poor continuity. That's part of the show's irksome charm.
    Just wait until you get to the later episodes. Leave your logic at the door!

4. robby9

robby9 Skutter

So Dave stayed to have kids, I thought it may be that but seeing as the show was mainly about them going into stasis I thought they'd have rounded it off. Thanks for your help.

I have seen all of Red Dwarf before on Sky but it was a couple years ago and got back into it lately when they were showing it on DaveJaVu, I detest adverts so I bought it.

5. SixthDwarfer

SixthDwarfer Supply Officer

My theory is that whilst they were travelling at the speed of light, Holly managed to turn Red Dwarf around and send them on a rough course towards Earth. By the time he was able to slow Red Dwarf down, the journey back to Earth had been reduced down to a figure that made it possible - with shortcuts - to make it back to Earth within Lister's lifetime. Coupled with the fact that he would also be onboard Red Dwarf well into his second century of life and the fact he was destined to have children, Lister probably thought it would be best not to go into stasis.

6. robby9

robby9 Skutter

Nice answer, very intelligent! I'd have never thought of that (maybe cuz I'm more like Holly), thanks.

7. dvd3500

dvd3500 Supply Officer

I thought Lister's future self just told him not to.

8. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

In the book Lister doesn't go into stasis on the basis of logic - seeing his future self means he knows he didn't, so he doesn't.

9. clozan10

clozan10 Skutter

What is the theory of relativity?

MAYBE ITS:

When Lister says: "Everyone dies. You're born and you die. The bit in the middle is called life and that's still to come."

In other words, if Lister goes into stasis it could be advocating his own death, which Rimmer emphasises this consideration when he says that if he (Rimmer) gets turned off there may be no reason for him in the future to be turned back on again. Which could be the case for Lister and the Cat as well. Lister's Future echoes shows him alternative possibilities, so if he stays awake for the moment he could find out about those future possibilities. So its a choice of either taking a gamble with an unknown future of ever being revived from stasis, hence, missing out on life, or, going with the theory of relativity that states that existence is considered only in relation to something else.

OR MAYBE ITS:

What is the theory of relativity?

Mmm ... welll ... mmm ... its a theory ... and its relative :?